PDA

View Full Version : New Colt Joins the Herd at the Home Ranch

Silver Jack Hammer
08-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Yesterday a NIB Colt Wiley Clapp .45 lightweight Commander blue went from the LGS to home then to the range with me. I bought it because it's 29 ounces and my steel 5" Series 70 was hurting my back. Cost was $1,000.00.

This Colt is a Series 70 that comes with a checkered frontstrap, beavertail with a memory swell for the palm, long trigger, Novak rear and Novak front with a brass bead, serrations on the slide front and rear that run at an angle. The model comes with a 1918 WWI thumb safety, thankfully no full length recoil guide rod. Stainless steel barrel. The grips are a dark laminate with checkering only where the fingers rest on the grips and the Colt logo engraved in the checkering. The mainspring housing is flat checkered metal.

At the range I intended to give it a good airing out with my five (5) Wilson seven (7) round magazines. 200 rounds of American Eagle red box ball, 20 rounds of Federal HST +P and 100 rounds of my 452347 .452" ww Alox over 6.0 gr of Unique.

There were three (3) malfunctions where the top round failed to chamber. First step will be call Wilson and get a recoil spring and new magazine springs to see if this fixes the issue.

The point of impact was about 3 1/2" to the left of my point of aim. I apologize I don't have group sizes to report. I was at a public range with a new gun and wasn't able to go forward and measure the targets after five (5) shots. The public range was just open after a Youth Day and it was getting dark. The mission was to get as many rounds through the new gun as possible. More on the group size later after another range session.

What I came away with was the conclusion that there some are some guns that are good to shoot, some guns are good to carry, but after over 300 rounds my wrist hurt. This is a good gun to carry. Asking a 4.25" alloy frame to eat +P ammo like a 5" steel is a tall order. The gun did well but the slide comes rear farther on the 5" than it comes back on the Commander, so magazine spring is more critical because it has less milliseconds to push the top round up for feeding.

The real failure was the grip screws. All four (4) kept coming loose. They are the flathead type and hex head grip screws will be ordered Monday morning.

Love Life
08-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Mine has over 4,000 rds through it. Not one malfunction. I have a Wilson mag, but stopped using it because the follower lip extends beyond the front of the magazine and ate the anodizing on mine. It happened in the 1st magazine full and I've only used Colt magazines since.

Mine gets a very steady diet of H&G 68 over 4.5 gr of Bullseye powder. From a rest, at 25 yds, this gun will hold 4 inches or less for 10 rds. I have several groups under 3 inches from 25 yds, but I won't post them because people will claim it's impossible.

I do not like the Novak rear site. It is wide enough to drive a Mack truck through which may be a boon for some people, but man you gotta be johnny on the spot with solid sight picture, alignment, and trigger pull or you'll be to the left or right.

The gun has fed and fired SWC, RN, and jacketed hollowoints from 4.0 gr bullseye all the way to the max charges for all.

Mine has a bit of wear now from being carried, sweated on, and shot ruthlessly. Enjoy that gun as it is pretty awesome!

DougGuy
08-30-2015, 12:13 PM
First step will be call Wilson and get a recoil spring and new magazine springs to see if this fixes the issue.

The gun did well but the slide comes rear farther on the 5" than it comes back on the Commander, so magazine spring is more critical because it has less milliseconds to push the top round up for feeding.

The real failure was the grip screws. All four (4) kept coming loose. They are the flathead type and hex head grip screws will be ordered Monday morning.

Let me steer a guy who steered ME to the correct spring, to the correct spring!

These are what I put in my 8rd mags now, they are a taking names and kicking butt spring that you will like even before you get the mags loaded:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/387353/ismi-magazine-spring-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round-38-super-10-round-chrome-silicon

They have them for 7rd and 10rd mags as well

Grip screws? Locktite.

Congratulations on a new Commander for edc, I am still building mine. I chose a steel frame though, maybe I will opt for a titanium or scandium or some other kind of space age lighterthanairbutexpensiveasallgetoutanium alloy for my next one if I get too old and tired to carry a steel one.

Love Life
08-30-2015, 08:06 PM
IRT the grip screws. They have a large head, and a standard diameter hex head grip screw will sink down into the countersink and just barely grab the edge of the holes in the stocks.

TXGunNut
08-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a nice pistol, will have to keep my eye out for one. I carried an all-steel Guvmint Model for over 20 years on a nice heavy Sam Browne with all the other goodies so I'm entitled to carry a lightweight Commander or Defender these days. ;-) Yes, they're a bit more of a handful to shoot but some days I have to do a quick check to make sure my holster actually has a pistol in it.
My factory grip screws came loose again today, good thing I have a set of blue Torx head Wilson screws on my parts box.