PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Liquid Lube procedure, for rifle or hot loads'

LAKEMASTER
08-30-2015, 09:07 AM
I've heard some use BLL before they resize. The ad a few coats after.

It sounds like some add a few coats and then resize.

And then, some people people show bullets that look packed with BLL in the lube grooves but none on the rest of the bullet.

I figured mine will atleast my lubed to resize and then once more. 2 coats should get me going with my 06
So let me hear how your bullet making goes.

Ben
08-30-2015, 11:13 AM
2 coats will EASILY get you going with your 06'.

LAKEMASTER
08-30-2015, 01:22 PM
2 coats will EASILY get you going with your 06'.

i figured as such.

someone said they do 3 coats and then do the GC/sizing and the bullets have 100% filled grooves, but i just cant really picture why the waste of lube...

JesterGrin_1
08-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Like in everything else each person has there own ways of doing things. I tend to be a dipper instead of a shaker lol. I will snap the gas check on and dip the bullet in the Alox mix to cover all of the lube grooves up to the crimp groove and then let that set and then put them through the sizer and dip them again to let them dry. Then they are ready to load when the time comes. But I tend to load them soon after lubing them. Or to say I only Gas Check and lube boolits as needed.

This is the way Ranch Dog does it and he is a big supporter of the use of Alox with his TL designs. http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Tips/Alox/

(http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Tips/Alox/)

LAKEMASTER
08-30-2015, 05:28 PM
I might be a dipper, not sure yet really. Big thing for me is ease for bulk rounds. I have a feeling I'll have only one 06 mold. So the bullets/lube probably won't change much

35 shooter
08-30-2015, 07:09 PM
For my 35 whelen i've been using one coat and size. I then apply 2 more coats very thin...no build up in the grooves and shooting to 2500 fps. with no leading, so 3 coats all together.

From what i've seen so far 2 coats would be enough and 3 coats is probably overkill, but i haven't tried it yet.
I've been using the tl method and not the dip method. I coat just enough to slick the boolit with no run off on the wax paper when drying(very thin coats). When i get full 3 coats on it looks like one coat... the boolit is just grayish with little to no amber color on it at all.

This lube flat works and it doesn't take much at all!! If it takes more than 2 hours to dry between coats your using WAY too much per coat.
After hundreds of shots with this lube now, my first shots from a clean or cold fouled bbl are in the group.
I can't ask more than that from ANY lube!

I use about 3 drops in the bottom of a bowl, put about 25 35 cal. boolits in, then 3 drops on top of the boolits and shake.

Ben
08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
LAKEMASTER ,

Listen to 35Shooter ! !

His groups PROVE that he knows what he is talking about.

Ben

GhostHawk
08-30-2015, 09:55 PM
35shooter is way ahead of the pack here. He is preaching the gospel straight up with no frills.

I personally have better luck with larger batch's, 50 is ok, but if I do 100, I'll put in like 10 drops. If bullets are small, less surface area like .223 bator that will be all. If they are large like .430 310 grain I might double that 10.

30 cal gets 10 and an extra 1 or 2 for small, under 150 grain, 3 drops for 150's and 5 for 185's. These have been coming out just right for me, and the range results have been good so far.

Target above is only 50 yards with a Handi rifle in .357. 3 bullets went through that hole. Lee .358 158 gr TL with 1 light coat of BLL. That black bull is a 2" target for scale.

So far everything I have shot the BLL in has exceeded my expectations.

35 shooter
08-30-2015, 10:57 PM
GhostHawk that is one very accurate .357 you have there!! I'd be hanging on to that one for sure...WOW!

Ben thanks for the kind words, but along with a good rifle and boolit you have to have a good lube.
BLL has turned out to be a GREAT lube for me and is the one i'll use hunting this year!!

I can already say with confidence the deer and squirrel around here "are not going to like this one bit" lol!

LAKEMASTER
09-02-2015, 09:40 PM
after tonight i may be a dipper... i tried to TL straight a lox and it didnt spread very well....

but ill be getting some johnsons liquid wax tomorrow.

im going stir crazy...... the loadmaster is on its way and the gas checks havent come in yet....... brain hurts lol

Lefty Red
09-03-2015, 12:00 AM
I TL with a light coating. Then size and dip. Then another light coat.

I use this for 44 magnums at around 1300 and PB. No leading!
Same thing for steamers or subsonics with the 300 BO.

Jerry

outdoorfan
09-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately, my attempt at BLL as a stand-alone lube turned out to be mostly a fail. I used multiple coats.

I tried it on:

1. 4" barreled 686 running the 360640 made out of 50/50 (9 bhn) at 6.3 grs Unique for 1070 fps. After two cylinders full, light to moderate leading was present. I can't remember if it was at the muzzle or forcing cone.

2. 4 5/8 barreled .45 Colt Blackhawk running the RCBS 45-270-saa behind 8.5 grs Unique for 920 fps. Alloy is 50/50 for 9 bhn. The gun has given me problems before with light to moderate leading at the forcing cone if things aren't just right. For me, "just right" has proven to be the 666-1 lube. With BLL leading at the cone started right away.

3. Rossi 92 .357 mag with 16" barrel shooting same load as #1 above. Here was the one that worked very well! Clean bore and good accuracy!

4. Same gun as #3, but shooting the Group Buy 360-180-rf. Alloy is 50/50 for 9 bhn. Bullet weighs 190 grains in the solid configuration with this alloy (it is a pb boolit with a pb gas check installed on the base), and this was chronoed this time at around 1750 fps using 16 grs Lilgun. After a few shots light leading was seen accumulating near the muzzle in the area of the edges of the grooves.

5. Winchester 94 (20" barrel) in .35-30 (JES rebore from .30-30) shooting the NOE 360-230-rf in ww + 2% tin alloy (13-14 bhn). This bullet is another pb design that I affix pb gas checks onto. Bullet weights 231 grains with this alloy. Load is 35 grs Benchmark for 2000 fps. After approx 5 shots, leading was seen covering the entire 2" or so of the muzzle end of the gun to the point that I couldn't really identify where the grooves were. However, the build-up came out easily with a few swipes from a bore snake. I've had issues with a very light gray wash towards the muzzle with my regular loads, but it doesn't build up or degrade the accuracy.

Anyhow, whatever 35 shooter is doing with his equipment and loading technique is A+++. Wish I could make that work that way too.

In no way am I bashing the BLL. I've used it to coat over an already conventionally-lubed bullet that needed a little bit more lube, and it worked very well in that scenario, which is what Ben designed it for in the first place.

I appreciate BLL, and I will continue to use it in the way that Ben intended. Thanks, Ben!

sparky45
09-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm first going to assume that you have verified the ACTUAL bore diameter and aren't shooting small diameter bullets in a to large bore. In my way of thinking, there are two possible (major) causes of Leaded barrels; A) running a small diameter bullet in a larger bore and 2. running that to small bullet to fast. I have to say, since I've been running with BLL, I haven't seen any Leading in any of my guns. I do know the bore sizes and try to load 1.5 - 2 thousands over that number. Also have to say, I didn't have any Leading before using BLL, but now I push the speed part somewhat.

outdoorfan
09-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm first going to assume that you have verified the ACTUAL bore diameter and aren't shooting small diameter bullets in a to large bore. In my way of thinking, there are two possible (major) causes of Leaded barrels; A) running a small diameter bullet in a larger bore and 2. running that to small bullet to fast. I have to say, since I've been running with BLL, I haven't seen any Leading in any of my guns. I do know the bore sizes and try to load 1.5 - 2 thousands over that number. Also have to say, I didn't have any Leading before using BLL, but now I push the speed part somewhat.

Yes, bullets are oversized and correct. I am not a noob.

Are you using BLL as a stand-alone lube?

35 shooter
09-04-2015, 02:03 PM
outdoorfan it never ceases to amaze me how one certain boolit or powder can work in a hundred different guns, then the next rifle or pistol won't shoot it for beans and will want something entirely different.
I've tried different lubes before that flat didn't work in my rifle (never understood why)
but seemed to work just fine for other folks.

As far as my loads i'm about 2 thou. over bore with the boolits and using a slow powder in the rifle and fast powder in my handgun, however i've used fast powder in the rifle with no problems with the BLL. It's so easy to make and drys so well that i'm glad it works for me and i think it will work for most. Seems there is always exceptions to the rule though, and in those cases you just have to go with what works for you.

outdoorfan
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM
35 shooter, what bhn are the bullets that you're using?

In tests I did in the .35/30, harder bullets (20-22 bhn) needed less lube than softish (13-14 bhn) bullets did.

I'm sure bore condition can play a huge factor. In my case, of the guns mentioned in post #12, only the 686 hasn't been firelapped.

sparky45
09-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Yes, bullets are oversized and correct. I am not a noob.

Are you using BLL as a stand-alone lube?
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't know about correct sizing, I have 3 different 357's and they all slug differently. As to the BLL; yes I am using the lube as a stand alone with one caveat, I will sometimes PC my bullets and then tumble lube with BLL. Leading is a thing of the past with PC and BLL.

outdoorfan
09-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you didn't know about correct sizing, I have 3 different 357's and they all slug differently. As to the BLL; yes I am using the lube as a stand alone with one caveat, I will sometimes PC my bullets and then tumble lube with BLL. Leading is a thing of the past with PC and BLL.

No problem. Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad to hear this process is working well for you.

35 shooter
09-04-2015, 08:34 PM
35 shooter, what bhn are the bullets that you're using?

In tests I did in the .35/30, harder bullets (20-22 bhn) needed less lube than softish (13-14 bhn) bullets did.

I'm sure bore condition can play a huge factor. In my case, of the guns mentioned in post #12, only the 686 hasn't been firelapped.
I heat treat my ww to 27 bhn to get best accuracy past 1800 fps, but use acww or ac50/50 for 1800 fps.and down in my whelen.

3 very thin coats of BLL works in my rifle, but other bbls. may want it on thicker?