PDA

View Full Version : Hakim... talk me out of it (or not)

funnyjim014
08-29-2015, 09:40 PM
One of the guys at the club says he would sell me one of his hakims for 500bucks. I have about 3k surplus ammo squirreled away and its very tempting. Any thing I need to look for? All I realy know is its kinda like a gas driven sks bolt and ruff on brass.

tim338
08-29-2015, 09:55 PM
I have one. It shoots as well as my garand. I have never had an issue with it. The muzzle brake on them are LOUD.

Gunor
08-29-2015, 09:56 PM
If you have 3k of Turkish ammo - start breaking it down. Too much pressure for Hakim.

Make sure you have a gas adjusting tool and you can adjust the gas.

I haven't yet, but it sounds if a 200 grain plus bullet is needed to run the action (without large loads) - just easier running the action with the large weight.

geoff in Oregon

funnyjim014
08-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Most of my surplus is Spanish made for Egypt.

Japlmg
08-30-2015, 01:34 PM
Hakims are fun to shoot rifles.
Yes, you will need a gas port adjustment tool.
Set the port to lowest gas setting, then slowly open up the gas supply shot by shot until the rifle's action functions correctly.
Too much gas will damage the rifle's action.
Redo this every time you switch ammo!

Yes, that Turkish ammo is a total No-No for any gas operated rifle.
Shoot the Turkish 8mm ammo only in bolt guns!

Cartridge feeding from the magazine can be an issue, as the feed lips on those magazines are often bent.
The magazine is removable, but it was not intended to be removed in normal service.
The magazine was intended to be loaded by stripper clips.

Finally, if you think M1 Garand Thumb is bad, wait until you get a Hakim Thumb :>))
Be very careful loading the magazine, lest you get a Hakim Thumb!

Gregg

zarrinvz24
08-30-2015, 01:44 PM
I've never had a Hakim but owned a Ljungmann for awhile. They are fun rifles, and they are not getting any cheaper. The only complaint I've heard is that the Hakim can be hard on brass; not a concern if your only using surplus.

AllanD
08-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Hakim is more the Ejyptian version of an Swedish M42 Ljungman (it's more or less a "Swedish Garand")
The main difference is the Ljungman is 6.5x55 and the Hakim is 8x57

If the rifle you are being offered is 7.62x39 it is a "Rashid", not a "Hakim"
which is more of an "SKS" class rifle.

funnyjim014
08-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Ok its settled.... next week I leave with a empty rifle case to trick the wife lol. Its 8mm for sure.

Ben
08-30-2015, 04:24 PM
They are " Brass Eaters ".

7point62nato
08-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Tune the gas down to where it will just cycle and the brass doesn't suffer too bad (mil brass, not commercial)

funnyjim014
08-30-2015, 07:33 PM
I hear some vacuum hose on the shell deflector rod will help minimize brass damage

TCLouis
08-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Dang, I have had one for about 15 years and have yet to chamber a round.

Get to thinking about selling it and then when I get it out and handle it, it feels kind of like the trusty old M-14.

Maybe I need to see how well it will sling lead projies.

funnyjim014
08-31-2015, 06:52 AM
I dont understand how some guys can buy a rifle and NOT shoot it. Sure i have had to wate a few months but in the back of my head im always wondering how it will shoot.

Japlmg
08-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Mine feeds FMJ fine, but will not feed cast bullets.
The rubber hose on the cocking handle really reduces the dents in the ejected cases.
Also, as I said above, you want the gas port open just enough to cycle the action, no more.
Gregg

fatelk
09-01-2015, 01:19 AM
I had a real nice one many years ago. I decided I didn't need both it and my FN49, so I sold it way too cheap. I never tried cast in it but do remember it being finicky and hard on the brass.

303Guy
09-01-2015, 03:57 AM
I dont understand how some guys can buy a rifle and NOT shoot it. Sure i have had to wate a few months but in the back of my head im always wondering how it will shoot.Hee hee. :oops: I might have one or two rifles I haven't fired yet!

While I have heard of the Hakim, I actually know nothing about it (other than that it's Egyptian). Now I'm interested!

Cloudy
09-01-2015, 09:44 PM
I had a Hakim as one of my first milsurp rifles (paid like $150 for it a long time ago). I loved it and enjoyed shooting it. I did get Hakim Thumb and it hurt a lot - I still have the scar... I haven't gotten M1 thumb yet but I do know that Hakim Thumb really, really hurt. :-)

funnyjim014
09-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Ok told him id take it. Get it next week. So...
How does one load the rifle and not get a swollen thumb? Lol. Just trying not to get bit

zarrinvz24
09-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Perhaps the hakim is different but on the Ljungman the safety would prevent the bolt from going forward. Place rifle on safe, load, place on fire and slide the cover back, bolt goes forward - with authority. Not to be overstated.

Stewbaby
09-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Put it on safe and the bolt won't slam shut. DO NOT put fingers in front of open bolt for ANY reason without it on safe.

Tackleberry41
09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
I bought a Hakim long ago at an auction, because well I had a pile of Turkish ammo I could burn thru it, then find out its not a good idea. Just loaded to hot for them.

It was an interesting rifle, loud. But more of a toy than anything. Mine looked really nice, no corroded solid gas system. But came with a broken firing pin I had to go dig up. I didn't shoot cast at the time, might have kept it. But sold it off to buy something else.

Adam Helmer
09-04-2015, 06:43 PM
I got my first Hakim in 1985 for $85.00. My second Hakim cost $175.00 in 2008. I have used the Lyman Cast #323471 (215 grain RN) and 25 grains of IMR4198 successfully in both rifles. I put a piece of rubber surgical hose on the deflector loop on the bolt covers and the brass dings are hardly noticeable.

The Hakim is a sturdy rifle and the adjustable gas system is a big plus. Both of my rifles shoot to the sights at 100 yards with 150 grain jacketed bullets or with the Lyman cast boolit.

Adam

funnyjim014
09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Well it looks like I made a good buy. Every one here seems to love these things. I cant wate to get it Tuesday. Pics to follow

Mauser48
09-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Yeah hakim thumb would probably brake your thumb. I just got an m1 so we will see how that goes. I have gotten sks index finger though. Even that hurt pretty bad and my nail had a purple spot in it for a couple months. Congrats on the rifle they look awesome.

funnyjim014
09-11-2015, 07:01 AM
New toy148689. Very nice beach stock. Cant wate to fire it

1johnlb
09-11-2015, 07:30 AM
I picked mine up about 6 months ago. Haven't really found a accurate load for it, but having a ball with it with 48grs wc860 and the 326471. I just loaded up some aa4350 and that 326471 with hopes of some good accuracy. But what a hoot to shoot.:Fire:

Cloudy
09-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Listen to those wise in the ways of the Hakim and watch your fingers. Did I say that Hakim Thumb really really hurt? Actually in my case it was the right ring finger and it made a deep 1/8" to 1/4" crescent shaped cut filled with dirty grease. The weapon came with no instructions of any sort and this was "B.I." (before Internet) so trial and error was the rule. Now that Adam Helmer mentioned it, I think I paid around $85 in the 80's for it and sold it for around $150. I am unlikely to get "M1 Thumb" since the M1 seems to be much less tricky but I won't rule it out...

funnyjim014
09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Took the rifle to my buddies house and fired a few rounds off. What a hoot to shoot. Recoil was very low compared to a bolt 8mm. It was raining so I dident have time toput it on paper.

AllanD
09-14-2015, 01:13 AM
"Garand thumb" can be embarrassing, I was trained how not to in boot camp
(No I'm not THAT old but In USCG boot camp they didn't want anyone dropping
an M1 during military drill) the trick is to hold your hand flat like a plank and have
the thumb loop on the Operating rod against your pinkie that way you can hold the
Op Rod back and rotate your hand like you are snapping off a salute...

Or at least that was how it was explained while we were being taught how to do "Inspection arms"...

I think "Hakim Thumb" could result in an amputation and a medical discharge...
Because the Hakim like the Linguman has sharp edges

funnyjim014
09-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I think the gas tube would act as a hole punch in your thumb nail... makes me cringe

3006guns
09-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but I love telling this story......

Went to a small Oregon gun show years ago and wandered through the place, looking at all the overpriced firearms. Then suddenly, there was a table with several rifles including one labelled "8mm Hakim...$400. $450 with ammo" I stared at the rifle, somewhat perplexed for a few seconds. That was no Hakim, but I knew what it was. I asked the young man about it and he told me that they were just trying to clear out his deceased uncle's estate. I asked how much ammo was with the rifle. "A few boxes." he replied.

I almost ripped my Levis pulling out my wallet and bought the nice, arsenal rebuilt SVT40 and 500+ rounds of ammo in clips. I almost ran to my car and got out of there.

Like a Hakim, it's loud due to the muzzle brake but accurate and a hoot to shoot.

K.O.
09-15-2015, 05:18 PM
I was not going to talk you out of it, I am going to try to talk you into spending more $...

Ok so now you need to complete the Hakim collection there are 2 more that you need... the Hakim trainers...

I just picked up a Barrel for the .22lr Beretta made Hakim trainer from ebay/gun-parts corp for $20 the rifling is still very good and it is a very unique barrel and is choked at the front sight to the muzzle to about .218 groove and .212 land it seems to be a tapered bore/groove also but I need better measurement equipment... It seems to be a close cousin to the Beretta Olympic/Sport/Super Sport... I wish I could get hold of a Beretta expert and learn how the barrel was made...

When I saw the listing it had buy it now and I jumped on it thinking it was the other Hakim trainer and so I thought I was getting an 1956 Anschutz .22 pellet barrel...

I then saw the barrels length was 25 5/8 and said "what?" to myself then got busy finding out what I could because the pellet trainer had a 19" or so barrel

So you could make a cool little 3 rifle Hakim collection...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/04/the-hakim-air-rifle-part-1/

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=51119&page=1

here is a link to a pdf from Steves pages about the Berettas which has some info on the barrels,

http://stevespages.com/pdf/beretta_22.pdf

Uncle R.
09-15-2015, 05:51 PM
When you shoot your Hakim be sure to use top-notch hearing protection.
As many have mentioned already, they are LOUD.

Also be sure to wear serious eye protection.
That weird operating system has a way of blasting a shot of gas back toward your face every time it's fired.
It generally hits me above the eyes, but I can feel the gas hit my forehead and move my hair a bit with nearly every shot. It doesn't seem to cause any harm, but it's kinda disconcerting especially when small bits of fouling are included in the back blast. They can sting a bit sometimes, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to catch any of that ejecta in the eyes.

I enjoy shooting the Hakim, and it's very reliable with the Egyptian military ammo that I still have left in my dwindling supply. It's surprisingly accurate as well. The long barrel, heavy weight and that loud muzzle brake keep the recoil impulse very low. It's a fun and unusual range rifle, but it's one gun that I would never shoot without eye and ear protection.

Uncle R.

funnyjim014
09-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Yes eyes and ears are a must. Fun gun to shoot so far. Just have to get used to the strange stipper clip loading. I seem to not get the "FLOW" of tipping the stripper in quickly

gunguy98
09-27-2015, 11:41 AM
the handle on the side of the action cover is not a handle at all, it originally had a plastic type brass deflector on it. I went to the auto store and got a piece of appropriate tubing and wrapped electrical tape on it, and bingo, no more dented brass. I also very carefully filed a few more notches on the gas block to get more refined settings and it shoots like a pussycat. check the action screws, they should have locking wires on them, if not it means it was taken apart sometime. If you take her apart make sure you have the spacers still, 2 are in the stock and the third is the middle one around the screw behind the mag lever, which has to be there to keep the trigger housing from flexing when tightening the screws down which will cause all kinds of problems with the rifle going into battery. These are great rifles, have fun!

Buckshot
10-01-2015, 04:10 AM
http://www.fototime.com/363939D04031671/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/7D1BA10AE736629/standard.jpg

...............I've had mine for a Looooooooooonnng time, and don't even remember the last time I shot it :-) It's a club, and it's loud. The adjustable gas tap is nice.

.................Buckshot

43PU
10-01-2015, 07:16 AM
I bought my sporter Hakim at a pawn shop in Morehead Ky for 175$ about 7 months ago and I love shooting mine!!! My stock was cut right after the barrel band and kinda looks like a Enfield sniper,

My gas block is locked all the way open and I bought one of those nice metal gas tools off of unbroken for like 30 bucks, but it stripped my screw and my tool.... how ever mine loves the Lee 175 gas checked with bens liquid lube over 35grn of IMR3031

43pu

gunguy98
10-01-2015, 12:57 PM
I bought my sporter Hakim at a pawn shop in Morehead Ky for 175$ about 7 months ago and I love shooting mine!!! My stock was cut right after the barrel band and kinda looks like a Enfield sniper,

My gas block is locked all the way open and I bought one of those nice metal gas tools off of unbroken for like 30 bucks, but it stripped my screw and my tool.... how ever mine loves the Lee 175 gas checked with bens liquid lube over 35grn of IMR3031

43pu

you can still find replacement gas plugs. I had one stuck like that but drilled it out with a broken screw kit after soaking it in Kroil for a few days.

dalek
10-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Hakim is on my list of rifles to get. I did notice they ain't getting any cheaper...

funnyjim014
10-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Just like 68 z28...only so many and the prices only go up

1johnlb
10-26-2015, 09:26 PM
In 95 I bought a 1oz gold eagle for $368 and a Colt Anaconda for $500. We'll I'm not using the gold and the price is dropping the last time I checked, but the Anaconda just keeps rising and I get to shoot it. Dang, should have bought 2.

reed1911
10-27-2015, 09:45 AM
For those of you with a Ljungman (Hakim may have the same issue) does the tubing on the rubber bumper help control the brass deflection? My Ljungman throws them forward and to the right about 15yds. While this is great in a foxhole, it sure irritates the other shooters when I go looking for my brass in the grass. I've thought about setting up a box for them to bounce off of into the shooting overhang but have not yet tried it.