PDA

View Full Version : Mold recommendations

buzzdog62
08-29-2015, 08:35 PM
I am new to casting and just melted down my first batch of scrap into ingots. I am looking for some suggestions on molds. I am going to start with the lee 401-175-tc 6 cavity mold for pistol then work into 9mm and 45. What are some recommendations for an all good 308 mold I can use for 30-06 (M1 loads) and other 308 loads? Also looking for good 300 BLK subsonic. I know the Lee 230 grain 308 mold has had mixed reviews. Thanks.

VA Shooter
09-03-2015, 07:40 AM
I would look into accurate molds he has a bunch of different options they are not cheap but are worth every penny.

rintinglen
09-05-2015, 02:09 PM
There are plenty of good all-around molds for the 30 cal. I like the RCBS 30-180 fn and the SAECO 301(?), but also like and use the 311-466 and 311-467, and I'm sure you'll hear from proponents of other designs like the 311-284, 311041, Lee 30-160 rn, and others. I can't help you with the Blackout though, silencers are illegal in my state and I can think of no other justification for that round. Other than the fun of shooting something new.

Dragonheart
09-06-2015, 03:28 PM
I guess my question is are you just wanting to give casting a try or are you in it for the long haul? If it's the latter I think you can do a lot better than Lee molds, I know some will disagree. I prefer 4 cavity molds as I am into production for my 9mm & 45 ACP handgun bullets. RCBS only produces two cavity molds, so they are out for me.
For steel molds I prefer the Saeco molds because of the proven bullet designs and because they are much lighter than the Lyman, so they are less fatiguing. If you want to go brass, another lifetime mold, I really like my NOE brass molds. They produces beautiful bullets, but also are the heaviest mold. I personally am not fond of aluminium molds, but a lot like them because of the light weight. If I were going to buy aluminium, I would look at the NOE molds as they ship quickly and the quality is excellent in everything I have purchased. I am sure others will have different opinions, but this works for me.