PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #3

bobk
04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
While looking for 20 gauge round ball loads, I happened upon an archive where at least one poster was bemoaning the fact that the Lyman #3 was no longer the current manual, and was difficult to find. I just thought I'd mention that Lyman has it for sale on their site for $5.00. I grabbed one. Thought some of you might like to, too. As I understand it, the #4 dropped the roundball/slug loads?

Bob K

singleshotbuff
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Bob,

I'd like any info you care to share on 20ga RB loads. So far, my results have been OK, but not what I'm hoping for.

Thanks

SSB

bobk
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
SSB,
Sorry, this is very much in the beginning stages. I did some work with the 12. I read an article many years ago about bore size balls, so I tried it. I remember using Federal wads, cut to clear the ball. The gun measured .719 at the muzzle, so I got a .720 ball mold from Dixie. They did 2 - 2 1/2 at 50.

I was refurbing an old single 20 the other day, and it appears that a commercial .570 swaged round ball and a Fed 20s1 wad is a good starting point. This is all just for a walkabout gun, nothing serious. I don't even have a 20 loader, but I suppose I could make do. Now, if I just hadn't shot my chronograph with my last experiment.:groner: