PDA

View Full Version : Kent's Experiments with ventilated muzzles (American Rifleman, 1901)

ohland
08-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Looking about for the results of the Sea Girt test (I suppose) in 1901.... Some images are forthcoming (only three).

https://books.google.com/books?id=b5cwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA399&dq=shooting+and+fishing+1901&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAjgKahUKEwjZ6qa8zs7HAhUMmYAKHYkTAYk#v =onepage&q=kent&f=true

American Rifleman, vol 30, No. 3, June 6, 1901 page 143

Mr. Kent’s Experiments.

We print in the present number an interesting account of experiments by Perry E. Kent, of Utica, N. Y, a rifleman of many years’ experience. Mr. Kent claims to have discovered that by boring holes in a rifle barrel near the muzzle end accuracy may be improved and penetration increased. The boring of holes in the barrel of a gun near the muzzle has been done in the past to a shotgun for the purpose of concentrating the charge f shot, but we have never before heard of it being applied to a rifle for the purpose Mr. Kent sets forth.

If Mr. Kent’s claims are realized the invention is a valuable one, and they are by far too important not to be sifted thoroughly. The perfection to which rifles of to-day have been brought, especially target rifles, would seem to leave doubts in the minds of some whether anything further could improve the accuracy. On the other hand, we must all admit that some of the modern rifles, especially those of high power, will have to make long strides before they can reach perfection. Whether this may be overcome by some change in the gun, alteration in ammunition or in some such way as Mr. Kent has proposed is an interesting problem. The subject is one deserving of the most careful investigation. and we shall be glad to receive the views of riflemen in reference to it, and hope before long to see a series of exhaustive experiments which will demonstrate whether Mr. Kent's theories are correct or not.

A Rifleman’s Investigations.

https://books.google.com/books?id=b5cwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA399&dq=shooting+and+fishing+1901&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAjgKahUKEwjZ6qa8zs7HAhUMmYAKHYkTAYk#v =onepage&q=kent&f=true

American Rifleman, vol 30, No. 3, June 6, 1901 page 148

Three images

In the science of gunnery there are many intricacies and not a few of them are long latent. While many believe that the principles of the rifle are quite well understood, yet all must admit that occasionally someone advances a theory that is new and a practical test of that theory results in showing that some latent principle has been solved.

Attempts to conquer a stubborn rifle have often revealed much information, and recently our attention was called to some very interesting experiments by Perry E. Kent, of Utica, N. Y., a rifleman of considerable experience who claims to have discovered a new principle in gunnery which corrects inaccurate shooting and increases the force of the projectile. Several months ago Mr. Kent submitted his invention to us, and we found much to interest us in his account of his investigations. Pending the issuing of patents on this invention, we have refrained from publishing a description of same, but now are permitted to lay the matter before our readers as supplied by Mr. Kent, who says:

"It is a well-known fact that whenever a rifle is discharged there is left on the muzzle of the piece a deposit of burned powder, or residue, which seems to radiate from the bore outward, and is more or less conspicuous accordingly as the construction of the muzzle is flat, countersunk or rounding, diminishing in density as the radius increases. This is caused by the gas or propelling force endeavoring to liberate itself from the confinement of the barrel, and when the base of the comparatively slow moving projectile arrives at the edge of the muzzle the more elastic gas rushes out and past it in all directions, and continues to do so until the projectile is beyond its influence, and more sharply so just at the instant of leaving the muzzle, giving it a tendency to wobble and vary from a true course, and sometimes keyholing in spite of the rotating motion imparted to it by the spiral grooves in the barrel. The cause of the corkscrew motion so common to all projectiles during the first portion of their flight is due to this action of gas upon the base of the bullet at the instant the bullet leaves the barrel.

“The well-known swish in the flight of the bullet characteristic of the low power guns and the peculiar moaning sound of the high power modern rifles are attributable chiefly to the base of the bullet rotating around a periphery greater than its own circumference. This particular gyration of the base of the bullet is not always alike from the same rifle, thereby tending toward uneven results.

“After a projectile has left the muzzle of the gun it becomes a prey to all sorts of influences militating against its onward, accurate flight; therefore, the most essential thing to attain is to launch forth the bullet in a true and uniform manner at each time of firing. To accomplish this I some time ago began a series of experiments which resulted in my invention, which in substance is as follows: I perforate the barrel around the outside with several small holes or orifices, drilled in at about the distance from the muzzle as the length of the bearing of the projectile or a little less. These are so calculated as to enter the bore at the sides of the barrel between the lands thereof, or within the grooves of the barrel, but can be located in the lands also, where they are wide enough to admit it without damaging the edges of them.

“The effect of this perforating is that most of the gas—and the detrimental effect which its escape at the muzzle at an angle to the line of flight would otherwise have upon the base of the projectile—finds vent through these holes or interstices, after the bullet has attained its full velocity, and just before it emerges from the muzzle of the arm, thereby imparting a last guiding effect, minus the subsequent addition of the caustic action of escaping gas, as what remains in the barrel after the intense strain has thus been relieved gives to the projectile merely a parting kiss, so to speak, instead of a vicious kick, without in the least checking or retarding its attained velocity, but rather facilitating it by keeping it in a true, more steady flight. It also dissipates the smoke in such a manner that it looks more like a fog than a cloud, and is much more easily seen through~—which would prevent an enemy somewhat from accurately locating the shooter, and also allow the hunter or marksman to more clearly see the effect of his shot without dodging to one side to ascertain it, as is now the custom when using black powder. It also seems to make a perceptible difference in the noise and recoil of the piece.

“I will explain how I came to make my experiments: Several years ago I purchased a half octagon 36 inch target rifle barrel, and proceeded to test it. At first I thought it did well, but could not account for an occasional poor shot. Later I could not keep all of the shots in a two foot circle when shooting at 200 yards with a rest. I laid the barrel away and bought a Pope barrel, but kept up much thinking about my first barrel. After shooting the Pope barrel two years I again took up the old barrel, with an idea of experimenting a little. I cogitated to myself if my remedy would not help it, it certainly could make it no worse.

“At the beginning of my experiments, about the best average I could get in ten shots at 180 feet—length of armory range—was 8, 10 and 12 inches; at 200 yards, about 2 feet or thereabouts. After three ten-shot scores at 180 feet to get average accuracy and three shots for average penetration at 50 feet into good spruce wood, I treated my barrel as follows: I bored into the barrel at about the distance from the muzzle—1/2 or 5/8 ; inch—of the length of the bearing of the .45-70 bullet, a 1/8 inch hole; each hole entered the grooves of the rifling and these holes extended around the barrel. Then I leaded it out and shot a score at 180 feet range, putting all of the shots into a 2 ½ or 3 inch circle. I then tried it for penetration at 50 feet, and secured one inch more than before perforating the barrel. I next shot the rifle at 200 yards, and secured a 6 or 7 inch group. Then I bored another row of holes around the barrel nearer the muzzle, and in shooting the rifle at 180 feet secured a group a silver dollar would cover; at 200 yards a 4 inch circle would inclose them. At 150 feet I secured about 1 ½ ; inches extra penetration, or a gain of ½ inch over previous tests.

“This set me to thinking as to where the additional penetration came from, as I fully expected less. I concluded that in consequence of a correct delivery of the bullet from the muzzle of the barrel without the usual tendency to wobble or tip there, because of the escape of gas at right angles the instant the bullet left the barrel, I had secured less air resistance and more penetrating power. According to my theory the relief secured by perforations keeps the gas from giving the projectile a side swipe as the bullet leaves the barrel.

“I have tried perforating the barrels as described on five of my own rifles, and on each one is shown about the same proportionate increase in accuracy and penetration. On a .22 caliber 15 inch barrel I secured ¼ inch more penetration and considerably better grouping after boring than before; with a .22 long 24 inch barrel I secured fully ½ inch additional average penetration and more accuracy; with a .22 caliber long-rifle a full 7/8 inch additional penetration was recorded; at 100 feet from muzzle on the .25-20 over an inch more; on the .32-20 about 7/8 inch; on my .38-55 accuracy was considerably improved and the gain in penetration over I inch ; on the -45-70 1 ½ inches more penetration and accuracy as before described; on the Savage .30-30 a full 5 inches penetration at 150 feet was gained, and accuracy somewhat improved.

“My tests convinced me that a bullet delivered from the muzzle of a barrel constructed with this device not only possesses greater accuracy and penetration, but it retains its initial velocity for a longer period than it otherwise would, and greater range with less amount of powder. Less resistance means flatter trajectory and less windage.

“It is my prediction that the muzzle of the twentieth century rifled barrel will be vented. By this means the gas behind the projectile will not kick over or practically destroy the effects of the direction and momentum designed to be imparted to the missile used.

“I have talked with a good many riflemen about my invention, and most of them think it new and valuable. I am going to apply it to a fine .44 caliber target revolver to see how it operates. I think it may be adapted to a pistol or a revolver as well as to a rifle; the principle ought to operate as well in any rifled arm, from a revolver to a 13 inch cannon. A trial of this invention will astonish anyone. I am not a skilled mechanic and my treatment of my experimental barrels has been done in a somewhat crude manner, but I am satisfied I have secured what I claim. If the work of perforating the barrels were done by a skilled mechanic, or if perforated before rifling. I believe still better results would be secured, especially so as the range is increased."

American Rifleman, vol 30, No. 3, June 6, 1901 page 270

Rifle Notes

Perry E. Kent, of Utica, N.Y., the inventor of the perforated rifle barrel, sends us two .30 caliber full jacketed bullets, showing the results of tests made with two rifles of that caliber, one of the usual type and the other with a perforated barrel, or, as he terms it, muzzle vented barrel He states that these bullets were shot into a box containing thirty five inch spruce boards wedged closely together.

The ends of the box were of pine seven-eighths of an inch in thickness, making nearly 37 inches of wood. This box was set against a brick wall. After firing several shots at a distance of about 50 feet with the .30-30 rifle and regular U. M. C. ammunition with nickel jacketed bullets, he found the average penetration to be about 32 inches. He then fired several shots from another rifle of the same make, but with the barrel perforated near the muzzle, and found several of the bullets went almost completely through the box, one of them sticking out nearly half its length. He forwards to us two bullets, the first shot from the usual type of rifle, and the second shot through the vented barrel, which passed through the entire boards, striking the wall beyond, where it tore out a single hole in the plastering one inch deep, producing a mushrooming effect on the bullet. He says the test clearly demonstrates the increased penetrating power of the vented barrel.

Mr. Kent was in town last week and submitted his invention to a number of military riflemen who became so much interested in it they will furnish a Springfield rifle, caliber.45, and a United States Magazine rifle, caliber .30, which will be treated by Mr. Kent, after which the arms will be carefully tested. Military rifles with this invention applied will probably be on exhibition and shot at the next Sea Girt meeting, Aug. 30 to Sept. 7, inclusive.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3Nc3AQAAIAAJ&pg=PA447&dq=vented+muzzle&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CBwQ6AEwADgKahUKEwjMr4K43s7HAhVHqoAKHRDFDJk#v =onepage&q=vented%20muzzle&f=false

United States Congressional serial set, Issue 4782, page 447

Kent vented muzzle for small arms.—On March 3, 1904, the Board made an allotment of $25 for the purpose of testing a vented muzzle for small arms, designed by Perry E. Kent. A rifle barrel was furnished Mr. Kent for venting, it having previously been tested for accuracy and velocity. Upon return of the barrel, the tests were repeated at Springfield Armory, with the result that every target made with the vented muzzle was inferior in accuracy to any made before venting. Adoption of the device was not recommended.

American Rifleman, vol 30, No. 3, June 6, 1901 page 349

KENT'S VENTILATED BARREL.

The scheme presented by Perry E. Kent, of Utica, N. Y., in a recent issue of SHOOTING AND FISHING, is certainly worthy of investigation. It has been proved, by careful experiment, that the powder gas follows the projectile and increases its velocity of translation for a distance equal to twenty five times the diameter of the bullet, after it has passed the muzzle of the rifle. Velocities of the projectile, while passing through the rifle bore, and while passing over various successive spaces beyond the muzzle, have been accurately measured by means of specially designed apparatus of an electrical and optical nature, proving that, in the case tested, the shot had not attained its maximum velocity at the muzzle of the gun, but at a point 25 calibers beyond.

Mr. Kent's supposition is that the bullet may be caused to tip; that its axis may not coincide with the tangent of the trajectory, through the adverse influence of the blast at the muzzle, and that a bullet traveling in such tipping position will meet with abnormal resistance from the air, causing it to lose velocity and penetrating power very rapidly; also inducing spiral flights and error at the target. He claims that his experiments with several rifles have indicated this, and that by drilling several small holes through the walls of the barrel near the muzzle, thus allowing the escape of a portion of the gas and decreasing the severity of the blast beyond the muzzle, greater accuracy and penetration have resulted.

I recently assisted F. W. Mann in making a slight experiment in this line with his .32-47-200 Ballard rifle. The barrel is 28 inches long, and has six 1/8 inch holes drilled through, at distances from 3 ½ to 5 inches from the muzzle. The drill had left slight burrs in the bore, and these had not been lapped out. We fired several shots, using a shell full of powder, about 47 grains, and grooved bullets weighing 200 grains. We caught the bullets in oiled sawdust, into which they penetrated about five feet. The bore showed black streaks of fouling from the vent holes to the muzzle, probably caused by the burrs. This fouling was easily removed with a swab, and no traces of leading were noticed. The bullets were not gas cut to any appreciable extent, but were scraped by the burrs. The second test was intended to give us an approximate idea of the gas pressure near the muzzle. The vent holes were closed by wrapping strong, heavy manila paper five times around the barrel and securing it with twine. On firing the rifle in this condition the gas forced its way out through each vent, perforating the five thicknesses of heavy paper at each hole, and proving that the pressure of gas on the bullet at the muzzle is very great. The subject is very interesting and I regret that I have not yet found time to investigate beyond what I have stated above. No doubt others are experimenting in this line, and I would like to hear from them.

E. A. LEOPOLD.