PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealers

SeabeeMan
08-29-2015, 09:20 AM
'Tis the season for food preservation and I just remembered that my sealer was put to rest last year. It was a $40 seal-a-meal or food saver from walmart and it lasted about 8 years. We finally tossed it when an unfortunate corned beef making accident left it full of raw meat brine. Not that I'm drowning in peppers, have several bushels of apples to dehydrate, and a pig on the way, it's time for a new one.

I've been looking at a couple:

FoodSaver V3240...my dad has one and it does the job. Almost a 3 handed operation sometimes with a large bag and that door that needs to drop.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U738ZE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=R18BPUXVK0VS&coliid=I1AZNBVK87HB6P&psc=1

FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe...good reviews all over and often rated the highest of other models in "shootouts."
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018ESBVM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=R18BPUXVK0VS&coliid=I3A1BFJVVDCZ93

Cabela's 12" Commercial Grade Sealer...has maintenance (seal) kits readily available. I've been generally happy with Cabela's stuff but have not owned their processing equipment. My BIL has an older one and described it as "not worth the hype, but worth a shot." I know they honor their warranties and extended warranties are easy to work with.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/kitchen-dining/vacuum-sealers%7C/pc/104798880/c/104739480/sc/104668380/cabela-s-12-commercial-grade-vacuum-sealer/1661927.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FVacuum-Sealers%2F104668380.uts

GameSaver Silver...Seems to be very robust but I can't find much on it
http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/kitchen-dining/vacuum-sealers%7C/pc/104798880/c/104739480/sc/104668380/foodsaver-reg-gamesaver-reg-silver-vacuum-sealer/1965480.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FVacuum-Sealers%2F104668380.uts

I'm open to any input on these or any other model. If the commercial one is the best and will last for years, I'll glady get the good tool. But like with all things, if equivalent performance and longevity can be had in the just over $100 FoodSavers, then why throw away my hard earned money. My big tickets selling points are:

- Ability to only seal without applying vacuum
- Need to be able to stop the vacuum whenever I want to seal delicate stuff (I prefer this to presets that I have to fiddle with)
- Hands free operation once it grabs
- Bag storage and cutting is nice now that I've used my Dad's V3240. I used to fight with getting my not-quite-straight cuts to fit on my cheap model.
- Accessory cord for sealing mason jars

Thanks for the help!

snowwolfe
08-29-2015, 10:39 AM
I went thru 3 or 4 sealers (Food savers) when we lived in Alaska. Really did not enjoy using any of them. Seals would often break after a few months in the freezer and they required a lot of extra bag material to be used.
3 years ago we bought a Weston off Amazon and we absolutely love it. Worth every penny and bags are much cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-0201-Pro-2300-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001GP81R2/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440859204&sr=1-1&keywords=weston+vacuum+sealer&pebp=1440859255266&perid=1NTC4J0K8KMAVY3DM87H

SeabeeMan
08-29-2015, 10:46 AM
snowwolfe, does the Weston use proprietary bags, or is it just better/compatible with generics? I've always used the Cabela's bulk roll and really like the 3rd layer they have down the middle which provides a channel to help eliminate air pockets.

The commercial Weston you posted is getting a little expensive (says SWMBO) but I wonder about either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Brands-PRO-1100-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B00RW5YZ9I/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440859588&sr=1-4&keywords=weston+vacuum+sealer

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Products-65-0501-W-Brands-Vacuum/dp/B00GD7PU5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440859588&sr=1-2&keywords=weston+vacuum+sealer&pebp=1440859583526&perid=1PNSWC25VFW9X471RDGX

44man
08-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Gave up on Food Saver when it pumped forever without taking air out. Weak pump.
Bought a Cabela's and it is better but I have to keep my hand on top to keep it from sealing and opening before air is gone. Can't afford a real good one.
But I can say if you want a monster meat grinder, get a Cabela's I have the 3/4 horse and swear I can throw meat from the garage into it.
Another great place to look for stuff is LEM.

snowwolfe
08-29-2015, 11:24 AM
snowwolfe, does the Weston use proprietary bags, or is it just better/compatible with generics? I've always used the Cabela's bulk roll and really like the 3rd layer they have down the middle which provides a channel to help eliminate air pockets.

The commercial Weston you posted is getting a little expensive (says SWMBO) but I wonder about either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Brands-PRO-1100-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B00RW5YZ9I/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440859588&sr=1-4&keywords=weston+vacuum+sealer

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Products-65-0501-W-Brands-Vacuum/dp/B00GD7PU5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440859588&sr=1-2&keywords=weston+vacuum+sealer&pebp=1440859583526&perid=1PNSWC25VFW9X471RDGX

They pretty much use any bag that will fit under the sealing bar. Saves a lot of cash over the years instead of using the required Foodsaver bags with the Foodsaver units. Check out Amazon for some really good prices. I don't have any experience with those other models but Amazon offers a 30 day return so give one a go and see what you think. The Pro 1100 model looks like the better of the two.
Weston makes some of the Cabelas units so just compare looks and prices.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Back when the kids were still home I bought one of the less expensive WalMart ones, pretty much a losing experience.

Now the kids are both gone and it's just me and my wife, so I guess we'll just pass. But that does sure look like a good unit. Happy freezing.

Elkins45
08-29-2015, 12:36 PM
When my 12+ year old Foodsaver finally gives up the ghost I am going to invest in one of the vacuum chamber types that pressurizes the outside of the bag rather than one that draws the air out from the inside. The "suck" type are limited to atmospheric pressure but the "push" types can go above 1 atm and squeeze out more air.

lancem
08-29-2015, 05:05 PM
I have an older Vacmaster that I really like, it was in the $3-400 range when new. I really believe you get what you pay for with these machines. I too will probably look closely at the chamber types when it comes time to replace my current unit.

TXGunNut
08-29-2015, 05:16 PM
I used a Foodsaver for a few years but when it gave out I found the old model Cabelas sealer in the Bargain Cave. Said factory refurbished but it failed to work first try. Was able to apply the purchase price to the newer model and have been very happy with it. It's a bit bigger (15") than I need but it's sort of like that 3/4 hp Cabelas grinder that I caught mis-priced in an online ad, sometimes bigger is better and quite often it only costs a little more.

dragon813gt
08-29-2015, 05:52 PM
My Foodsaver is on it's last leg. I can't recommend it. The pump is weak and the bags are expensive. What is nice about it is the jar attachment. I use it more than the bags anymore. Any new one I buy will have to have this feature or I won't buy.

Idaho Mule
08-29-2015, 06:36 PM
I was going to ask others about their experiences with Weston a couple weeks ago, but hadn't got around to it. I am happy to see the good comments on them and think I will go that way when our present FoodSaver bites the dust. That being said, wife and I processed another 25 lb. batch of sausage this morning. This is a fresh breakfast sausage, 50/50 elk/porkbutt and stuffed into hog-casings. Pretty good stuff. I recently bought a Weston smoker and am very happy with it so I am fairly secure in investing in their vac-packer. JW

SeabeeMan
08-29-2015, 08:57 PM
I think I'll be going with the Weston, probably the 1100. I can't quite make the jump into the mid $300s or $400 on this. And I just convinced my wife to let me buy a smoker instead of our yearly bill at the butcher for hot sticks, sausage, and brats.

oldfart1956
08-29-2015, 10:16 PM
I think I'll stick with the Foodsaver or whatever generic brand WalMart is carrying at the time. I usually get at least 3 years out of one and for under $50 it's a bargain. I use mine every week almost. Live alone but buy meat/poultry/seafood in bulk and break it down into portion sized packs. Usually pack up 3 deer a year + any roadkills I scrounge up. I get my bags in a roll from the local restaurant supply. An 8in.X 50 foot roll goes on sale for $10. around this time of year. I use a paper cutter ($5 from Staples) to get a nice neat cut on the roll. Here's a good tip: before you vac-pack it...freeze it first. I make hamburger and sausage patties up then lay on a cookie sheet and freeze...then vac-pack. Do the same for pork chops/chicken/roasts. That makes all the difference. No more air pockets. Audie...the frugal Oldfart..

FISH4BUGS
08-30-2015, 06:53 PM
I got a FoodMaster and it was DOA. They sent a replacement that was a GameMaster Silver. I don't even know if this model is still in production. I think it was three or four years ago. The thing works great. We pack two freezers full with chicken, meat, and with vegetables in vacuum sealed bags. The chicken and meats we get from a local (about a mile away) farm and they are already sealed.
I like mine. It seems to work well although the bags are relatively expensive. I bought a case of them and they have lasted a while.
We are organic gardeners and REALLY love the fresh frozen veggies about January and February. I am waiting for 16 brussels sprouts plants to harvest in later October. We have put away 35 quarts of green beans, 10 quarts of tomato guts, with more to come.
The GameSaver is worth it to us. Certainly.

montana_charlie
08-31-2015, 01:59 PM
If you choose the Foodsaver brand, I recommend you go for the 'Game Saver' style.

The top opening cover is much easier to manipulate that sticking the bagtop through a slit on the front of a vertical machine.

SeabeeMan
08-31-2015, 07:56 PM
I ended up getting a food saver V3840 on ebay for a VERY good price, and I'm chasing a deal on a Weston Pro 1100-SS. If I end up with the Weston as well, I'll compare and resell the one I like less.

Wasalmonslayer
09-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Go with the Weston. I used to fry a food saver a year we would do 300# of fish, at least another 300# of processed game and the food savers are just not made for that.
I have been using the larger Weston for 3 yrs now and not a hiccup.
I have net even had to change the sealing bar strip yet.
And the Weston will suck start a Harley!!!!
If you thought the food saver did a decent job wait till you use he Weston the first time.

Good luck
Slayer