PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No. We need a Poll sub-forum to keep polls from destroying Our Town

BrassMagnet
08-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Yes or No. We need a Poll sub-forum to keep polls from destroying Our Town.

Garyshome
08-29-2015, 07:35 AM
Where's Wilco? What's he have to say about this?

GhostHawk
08-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Ok I guess I am curious how a poll or series of them is destroying anything?

Second, if the majority agree, I think I would prefer a simple limit like 1 poll per week per user to a sub forum. I know different people use the forums in different ways. Me I log in 2-3 times a day and click the # of new posts next to my name. So I really don't always notice where a post is, which subforum.

Others may only venture in certain area's.

I do think the whole poll thing has gotten out of hand. No insult intended for any person. But I feel like 80% of the people would not miss them if most of them disappeared. But I could be wrong.

In truth it would take a poll to find out. Polls do let a person gauge the heartbeat of a place, how it is feeling. I suggest you add a few more options to this one if you are really looking for a fair solution.

JeffinNZ
08-29-2015, 07:46 AM
This sort of thread is exactly the sort of nonsense they destroys forums.

quickdraw66
08-29-2015, 08:31 AM

He's got a point, just look at "Our Town" right now. There's so many friggin polls that everything else is getting buried. I like a poll every now and then, but that is just crazy. Something needs to be done about it. You may think a thread discussing a solution to a very real problem will destroy this forum, but I'm telling you that a flood of polls like that will do far more harm. Who wants to go into the off topic sub forums and see that?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=147757&d=1440851486

Finster101
08-29-2015, 08:35 AM
They may have started as a joke but have become tiresome. I just ignore them.

Geraldo
08-29-2015, 08:44 AM
To me Our Town doesn't seem to have a point. The polls fit in well enough with complaints about gas prices and various political threads from people who can't find the Politics and Religion subforum. I'll take a laugh from a stupid poll over people complaining.

edler7
08-29-2015, 08:54 AM
They may have started as a joke but have become tiresome.....

This hits it on the head. They are becoming the old cars on blocks in the front yard of Our Town.

white eagle
08-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Is this a joke a poll to ban poll's ?

WILCO
08-29-2015, 10:03 AM

This and the "Usual Suspects" with their trash and bash threads.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

WILCO
08-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Where's Wilco? What's he have to say about this?

I'm right here. Shocked as to how the "Usual Suspects" can turn this place upside down with their hatred and drama. Sad really.

Smoke4320
08-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Really Wilco Really :bigsmyl2:

WILCO
08-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Really Wilco Really :bigsmyl2:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

jcwit
08-29-2015, 10:11 AM
If something was contributed of actual value there would be no need for you to be shocked by the "Usual Suspects".

WILCO
08-29-2015, 10:17 AM
If something was contributed of actual value there would be no need for you to be shocked by the "Usual Suspects".

Mods.....This makes folks leave the boards.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
WILCO, just take a look at your posts. I just checked the last 2 pages, that's 50 posts, all have to do with meaningless polls except 1 which has to do with the test forum. I very possible it would go much further but that's as far as I went.

Aren't there more important things going on with your life to discuss, than things that mean little to nothing?

imashooter2
08-29-2015, 10:19 AM
The site has too many sub forums now. No more.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Agreed, I was a short time member of another forum that had sub forums of sub forums, and members had no idea where to post new threads, then every night the mods would move the threads where they thought they might belong. It became almost impossible to find anything, at least for me it was, I complained, then complained again, then complained again, then got banned. Makes little to no difference to me as I could never find anything any way except for spending loads of my time searching.

Do I feel bad about being banned? LOL Not hardly!

So PLEASE, lets not allow this forum to go down that road.

Lets TRY to let COMMON SENSE reign supreme!

starmac
08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
You complained, hard to belive. lol

bangerjim
08-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Just eliminate the poll function. Problem solved.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 01:00 PM
You complained, hard to belive. lol

Amazing isn't it!

BrassMagnet
08-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Just eliminate the poll function. Problem solved.

Polls can be OK, just not overwhelming numbers of polls!
A sub-forum for polls would be OK.

starmac
08-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I really don't think anyone has a problem with polls persay. It can be a pain when that is all you see when you open up a forum, and it seems like for some reason that is the main purpose of them.

osteodoc08
08-29-2015, 03:08 PM
I voted no, simply because there are too many sub forums as it is. I think if anything, there should be a poll limit vs time just like there is a sale per time in the S&S section. Or have a mod ask the offender(s) to politely limit polls to x per period of time.

fryboy
08-29-2015, 03:44 PM
I didn't and won't vote on the poll,rarely if ever do,they may or may not "gauge" but assuredly it's only of those who voted ,reflects nothing of those who could care less to even open the thread ( much like the pit ,and like the pit there will always be those who state " I can't help myself " ) end result ? Don't like them don't read/ respond to them and remember for some there's a wee bit more to life than just casting loobing and shooting, some share some don't but rest assured you stop the guys that share enough eventually no one will ,so what if what is shared isn't something of my interest responding and even reading is up to me [shrugz]

imashooter2
08-29-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't care about the polls... I just don't want any more sub forums on the board.

FISH4BUGS
08-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I would suggest a sub forum on polls. Put all polls there, and let those that want to see them look at them. I would suggest that sub forum would die a natural and quiet death.
That would allow WILCO to do his poll thing, and it allows only those that wish to participate to take part.
Mods?

NavyVet1959
08-29-2015, 05:19 PM
The problem is not polls per se, but rather certain people (https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/horse-rear.jpg) who abuse the poll system.

I tried to create a poll for a serious topic of mine the other day and it had a limit on the number of characters in each option, so I abandoned the poll portion of the topic.

dragon813gt
08-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Just ban a certain member for a week. If he comes back and starts doing the same thing then ban him for a longer period of time. The problem isn't the polls, it's one member.

Cmm_3940
08-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Just eliminate the poll abuser(s). Problem solved.

Pipefitter
08-29-2015, 06:33 PM
How about we go the route of swappin n sellin? 20 years as a member and 200,000 posts before you can start a poll??? What say ye?

quickdraw66
08-29-2015, 06:45 PM
How about we go the route of swappin n sellin? 20 years as a member and 200,000 posts before you can start a poll??? What say ye?

The problem member has been here 8 years and has 7500 posts, so unless you want to exclude most of the forum from using polls, then that won't work.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 06:52 PM
The problem member has been here 8 years and has 7500 posts, so unless you want to exclude most of the forum from using polls, then that won't work.

quickdraw66, take a look where all those posts were made.

NavyVet1959
08-29-2015, 07:08 PM

But how many of those posts are not polls? Did he at one time post meaningful content and then something happen that caused him to just post asinine polls? Did he have a stroke, Alzheimers, his wife left him, or something else that caused a decrease in his mental acuity, or did he just get ahold of some bad booze (or whatever) that perhaps caused him to become a troll?

It's not the fact that there are polls, it's that they are obviously trolling attempts or just to up his post count.

WILCO
08-29-2015, 07:20 PM
But how many of those posts are not polls? Did he at one time post meaningful content and then something happen that caused him to just post asinine polls? Did he have a stroke, Alzheimers, his wife left him, or something else that caused a decrease in his mental acuity, or did he just get ahold of some bad booze (or whatever) that perhaps caused him to become a troll?

It's not the fact that there are polls, it's that they are obviously trolling attempts or just to up his post count.

I would like to remind you and the other bashers/haters of this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?264568-Infraction-system

It's a sticky. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

quickdraw66
08-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Do either of you two volunteer to track down all 7500 posts and delete all the ones pertaining to polls? I don't think the mods would want to spend days doing that, and I dang sure wouldn't. Either he has to be banned and his account completely wiped out to get rid of all those threads and posts (which I don't think is called for, or a good idea for a few reasons), or another solution has to be found. Making it so that you have to be here so long and have a certain number of posts to make a poll will not do anything to help clean up Our Town.

I still think the poll subforum is the easiest/most painless way to put an end to the flood of polls in Our Town.

bearcove
08-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Polls can be OK, just not overwhelming numbers of polls!
A sub-forum for polls would be OK.

I suppose you want limits on other stuff. Is 3 guns at a time enough, SURE a rifle a pistol and a shotgun. Is one, SURE just a shotgun will get you by. Just ignore it and let the guys running this decide if he needs some feedback.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 10:30 PM
I suppose you want limits on other stuff. Is 3 guns at a time enough, SURE a rifle a pistol and a shotgun. Is one, SURE just a shotgun will get you by. Just ignore it and let the guys running this decide if he needs some feedback.

And when Polls take over a whole forum that to is OK. The other evening polls took up a page and a half of the "Our Town" forum. No other threads were visible at all!

There in lays the problem!

BTW, my collection is in the hundreds, so no 3 guns are not enough.

bearcove
08-29-2015, 10:44 PM
I don't like the polls, but never bothered to complain. Or care.

jcwit
08-29-2015, 10:57 PM

Others feel differently.

Posted by waksupi
Wilco, I'm going to have to agree with others. You are getting a bit too carried away with yourself, and it has lost it's amusement value.

Hope the above was OK.

Omega
08-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Others feel differently.

Posted by waksupi

Hope the above was OK.
Didn't see that particular post, but that still means little to those of us that could care less about polls. Where is that quote from?

Hamish
08-29-2015, 11:53 PM
I would like to remind you and the other bashers/haters of this thread:

It's a sticky. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

Youve got a lot of nerve pal. To be honest, I have wondered if you are experiencing diminished cognitive function myself. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few people are pissed that you have gone completely overboard.

jcwit
08-30-2015, 12:24 AM
Didn't see that particular post, but that still means little to those of us that could care less about polls. Where is that quote from?

The thread "I'm in the mood for a good western" post 154.

WILCO
08-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Youve got a lot of nerve pal. To be honest, I have wondered if you are experiencing diminished cognitive function myself. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few people are pissed that you have gone completely overboard.

Some people need to be upset for no reason Hamish.
Evidently, enjoying spending time here, contributing to the forum content in my own style and operating within the realm of forum standards isn't viewed favorably by the "Usual Suspects".
It started with the usual Nazism over an NRA poll and grew to focus on me.
At the end of the day, I'll still be here and I'm sure some folks will be banned.

WILCO
08-30-2015, 12:47 AM
For those who missed it:

Offense

Swearing at or Telling off a Staff Member
90 Days

Conduct which violates the Terms Of Service
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
90 Days

Circumvention of Board policy or rules
90 Days

Continued action after Staff Warning
90 Days

Inflammatory and without merit
90 Days

Condescending\Arrogant\Elitist
90 Days

Selling same item on multiple forums
90 Days

Inappropriate Language
90 Days

Insulting Other Member(s)
90 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

Baiting or Trolling
180 Days

180 Days

Inappropriate Language
180 Days

180 Days

Conduct In Chat
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

Inappropriate Language
365 Days

Spammed Advertisements
Never

jcwit
08-30-2015, 01:18 AM
I vote present!

WILCO
08-30-2015, 01:22 AM
WILCO, just take a look at your posts. I just checked the last 2 pages, that's 50 posts, all have to do with meaningless polls except 1 which has to do with the test forum. I very possible it would go much further but that's as far as I went.

Aren't there more important things going on with your life to discuss, than things that mean little to nothing?

Offense

90 Days

90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

Inappropriate Language
90 Days

90 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

Baiting or Trolling
180 Days

180 Days

Inappropriate Language
180 Days

180 Days

Conduct In Chat
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

Inappropriate Language
365 Days

Spammed Advertisements
Never

jcwit
08-30-2015, 01:29 AM
:veryconfu:popcorn::popcorn:

Teddy (punchie)
08-30-2015, 09:13 AM

Like voting sometimes it make a difference but most of the time same old thing. Just sad that we need to make an other rule.

dragon813gt
08-30-2015, 09:20 AM
So "usual suspects" is anyone that doesn't agree w/ you. And your statements were very clear in the NRA thread. But apparently being called out for them is Nazism, whatever that means. Do whatever you want. Have the nerve to call out the "usual suspects" by name. I want to see which "side" you think you're on.

Fishman
08-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Wilco, it appears to me that you are violating at least three of the TOS. Trolling, inflammatory, and arrogant appear to fit perfectly. You continue to post multiple polls after it was made clear in your own poll about that question that many users were tired of it. Then you state that you will still be here and a bunch of people are going to be banned. And you keep right on posting polls about nothing at all. I have to wonder about your motivation here. I somewhat enjoyed your polls in moderation (hint: one or two at a time) but this is just silly.

WILCO
08-30-2015, 10:13 AM
And you keep right on posting polls about nothing at all. I have to wonder about your motivation here. I somewhat enjoyed your polls in moderation (hint: one or two at a time) but this is just silly.

Fishman,

Please post proof of what you type. I haven't posted a poll since you initially started this flap with your Nazi ideas of what's acceptable. I predict you'll be banned too. You are trolling just by posting to me. I ask that you put me on your ignore list.

WILCO
08-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Wilco, it appears to me that you are violating at least three of the TOS. Trolling, inflammatory, and arrogant appear to fit perfectly.

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.GiKha55DaXuAZV9pAGsgjQ&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Remove your poll posting privileges. Nothing personal but you asked. A fricken' dozen polls about nothing? Really?

Offense

90 Days

90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

Inappropriate Language
90 Days

90 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

Baiting or Trolling
180 Days

180 Days

Inappropriate Language
180 Days

180 Days

Conduct In Chat
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

Inappropriate Language
365 Days

Spammed Advertisements
Never

BrassMagnet
08-30-2015, 10:21 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fishman http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3360573#post3360573) And you keep right on posting polls about nothing at all. I have to wonder about your motivation here. I somewhat enjoyed your polls in moderation (hint: one or two at a time) but this is just silly.

Fishman,

Please post proof of what you type. I haven't posted a poll since you initially started this flap with your Nazi ideas of what's acceptable. I predict you'll be banned too. You are trolling just by posting to me. I ask that you put me on your ignore list.

Isn't this insulting other members? How about acting like your Momma is listening?

WILCO
08-30-2015, 10:21 AM
So "usual suspects" is anyone that doesn't agree w/ you. And your statements were very clear in the NRA thread. But apparently being called out for them is Nazism, whatever that means. Do whatever you want. Have the nerve to call out the "usual suspects" by name. I want to see which "side" you think you're on.

Offense

90 Days

90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

Inappropriate Language
90 Days

90 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

Baiting or Trolling
180 Days

180 Days

Inappropriate Language
180 Days

180 Days

Conduct In Chat
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

Inappropriate Language
365 Days

Spammed Advertisements
Never

WILCO
08-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Baiting and trolling. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

WILCO
08-30-2015, 10:24 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fishman http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3360573#post3360573) And you keep right on posting polls about nothing at all. I have to wonder about your motivation here. I somewhat enjoyed your polls in moderation (hint: one or two at a time) but this is just silly.

Isn't this insulting other members? How about acting like your Momma is listening?

Offense

90 Days

90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

90 Days

Inappropriate Language
90 Days

90 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

180 Days

Baiting or Trolling
180 Days

180 Days

Inappropriate Language
180 Days

180 Days

Conduct In Chat
90 Days

Baiting or Trolling
365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

365 Days

Inappropriate Language
365 Days

Spammed Advertisements
Never

jcwit
08-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Is he in fact threatening another member? Or is this a prediction like Farmers Almanac makes?

altheating
08-30-2015, 11:54 AM
I wish I could get rid of EVERYTHING not related to shooting or casting on this forum. Look at the number of topics that actually have anything to do with shooting, casting or reloading, they seem to have gone down in numbers compared to the BS posts about everything else. I know several members who don't even come to the site anymore because of all the nonsensical post not related to cast boolits. Ok, I've vented, now to wade through more nonsense.

SeabeeMan
08-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Fishman
08-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Fishman,

Well you are right, I can't prove that I ever really liked your polls even in moderation. I was just trying to make you feel better about yourself.

I don't have a big enough ego to even think that I started this and I'm wondering why you are making me out as some sort of boogieman. Nazi, lol. Kind of over the top, don't you think?

walltube
08-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Keel haul the Pollsters! The whole scurvy lot of them!! Hang 'em from the yardarm and let the Mods pick their bones...

Fellers, we gotta lighten up a bit.

Yours in levity & purple colored gossamer wings,
Wt.

ShooterAZ
08-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Will someone PLEASE put a stop to all this nonsense? It's clear to me that Wilco is intentionally trying to draw someone else in to violate the rules of conduct. He is willfully disrupting this forum. This has gone on far enough!

montana_charlie
08-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Wilco, it appears to me that you are violating at least three of the TOS. Trolling, inflammatory, and arrogant appear to fit perfectly. You continue to post multiple polls after it was made clear in your own poll about that question that many users were tired of it. Then you state that you will still be here and a bunch of people are going to be banned. And you keep right on posting polls about nothing at all. I have to wonder about your motivation here.
I think he is trying to egg people who are tired of him into doing something to get themselves banned.
His claim that he will still be here after others are banned seems to support that suspicion.

His confidence in that outcome (him staying and others gone) stems from someplace.
Also, his belief that he can continue to 'troll and inflame' with impunity says something about his 'imperviousness' to correction.
I wonder who he thinks he has in his pocket.

starmac
08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
It's a test, only a test, don't get too excited. lol

quickdraw66
08-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Where the heck are the mods?

starmac
08-30-2015, 03:37 PM

It's a test, only a test. lol

butch2570
08-30-2015, 03:47 PM
It's a test, only a test. lol Are you saying this is a set up, to see who will openly and willingly get defensive and violate TOS? So that the mods can assess whom may need the boot, because of their ability or lack of, to either continue the arguement or rather ignore it and move on. Interesting.

montana_charlie
08-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I believe in members working things out among themselves.
Therefore, I haven't pushed the 'whiner button'.

quickdraw66
08-30-2015, 04:21 PM
I believe in members working things out among themselves.
Therefore, I haven't pushed the 'whiner button'.
Its very obvious that the members are not going to work it out among themselves. Insults are already being thrown around from members on both sides.

jcwit
08-30-2015, 04:39 PM
Sure seems pretty quite on the Eastern Front!

starmac
08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Are you saying this is a set up, to see who will openly and willingly get defensive and violate TOS? So that the mods can assess whom may need the boot, because of their ability or lack of, to either continue the arguement or rather ignore it and move on. Interesting.

I truly hope not, it is just meant as a joke.

butch2570
08-30-2015, 05:26 PM
I truly hope not, it is just meant as a joke. I understand. This whole thing has been quite odd, I was kind of looking outside the box for some sense of reasoning , that's all.

DLCTEX
08-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Put them in the pit!

bearcove
08-30-2015, 07:48 PM
+100
Garbage in garbage out.

therealhitman
08-30-2015, 09:50 PM
I wish I could get rid of EVERYTHING not related to shooting or casting on this forum. Look at the number of topics that actually have anything to do with shooting, casting or reloading, they seem to have gone down in numbers compared to the BS posts about everything else.

That is probably the sign of two things. When a forum gains steam and starts to grow in popularity it invariably draws in a wider demo...including younger/older and quiet/demonstrative posters. Some desire more attention than others, and 'Our Town' is getting more populous all the time I guess. It is free to register, so you have a bit of an open borders problem. I am sort of a newbie here after lots of lurking. Mostly feel at home...only a very few rude/pompous responses to my attempts at helpful comments or humor. There are pompous jerks everywhere though, so no surprise. You just hope they don't all go online at once to feel their oats.
And second, the way our nation has been twisted in recent years, I find it hard for the political topics/rhetoric/debates not to find their way into almost every conversation of any length. Real world and online. And this is nothing if not a polarized opinion block on this site. When the chaos of our times subsides and America is restored, so will the debates and political updates fall out of fashion. It may be a while though. A long while.

castalott
08-30-2015, 10:04 PM
I have the Right to Remain Silent and I intend to exercise it.....

TheDoctor
08-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Baiting and trolling. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

There are at least 3 reasons one can receive a perma-ban:
1) Spamming the board (spammers)
2) DEADBEAT
3) Frequent flyer in the infraction department

I gotta ask, is that a confession?

starmac
08-31-2015, 04:51 PM
He has already stated he was trying to get some banned (the usual suspects) whatever that is. confession, you decide.

MaryB
08-31-2015, 11:26 PM
When I open Our Town and all I see is polls it makes it unreadable. I used to be able to scan the first page and see the days topics.

BrassMagnet
08-31-2015, 11:27 PM
When I open Our Town and all I see is polls it makes it unreadable. I used to be able to scan the first page and see the days topics.

That is why I started this thread.

popper
09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
I vote for the poll/humor sub-forum. Lots of humor in many of the responses - if our town is front page news/interesting topics, let's keep it that way.

MBTcustom
09-01-2015, 05:47 PM
It started with the usual Nazism over an NRA poll and grew to focus on me.

Nazism?
Really Wilco? REALLY?
Would that be the "open mouth insert jackboot" part, or something else?
Wilco said:
I'll support the N.R.A. when they roll back all these oppressive gun laws.
Yeah. That one.

You don't go into a thread about an innocent NRA poll (someone else's poll BTW. As in one that was not started by you, and that actually has a useful point to it) and explain to the world about how you no longer see the value of supporting the NRA because they have not been effective enough to earn your financial/verbal support. That's about like going into a thread about being a vegan and posting pictures of your latest plate of steak tar tar. Same thing would happen if a flaming, gun hating, liberal were to come here and start spewing their rhetoric. The result will be swift and predictable.
You just don't go into a thread started by a flaming NRA supporter (yours truly) and openly admit that you just came to the wedding for the booze. That's obnoxious and insulting.

Now, that said, why don't you take it easy on the darn polls for a while and let people see what the rest of the forum has to say hmm? Just because there's a fence, doesn't mean you have to live astride it ya know?

pjames32
09-01-2015, 09:29 PM
No offense intended. I would like to know how I can block polls without blocking "Our Town"
Suggestions?
PJ

Mauser48
09-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Take a look at AR-15.com. Also if people want to make meaningless posts who cares. Not every post someone makes has to be a huge contribution.

jcwit
09-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Take a look at AR-15.com. Also if people want to make meaningless posts who cares. Not every post someone makes has to be a huge contribution.

It became the number of "meaningless?" posts, they were bumped up to the point where the covered a page and a half with NO other posts visible. That was the problem. We all make meaningless posts to threads, no posts make sense to everyone.

starmac
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
I doubt anybody minds a poll or three, oe meaningless threads.
What they do mind is someone deliberatly using them by the dozen hopeing to get some members he doesn't agree with banned.
I don't want polls banned, or see the need for new subforums either (at least at this time) but if everyone pulled the same thing or even five or ten members pulled the same thing everytime they got their feelings hurt, it wouldn't be 2 pages tied up, it would be more like 10 to 20 or more, even the ones that claim, just ignore them would have a hard time.

jcwit
09-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Words of wisdom! ^^^^^^^

NavyVet1959
09-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Subforums are just like subdirectories in your file system. It doesn't make sense to have EVERYTHING in one directory and the same goes for forums. Sometimes it makes logical sense to separate certain things off into their own directory (or subforum). I think having an additional subforum for stickies for each forum/subforum that has a lot of stickies might make sense. If there are only a couple of stickies, it doesn't matter, but when the stickies start taking up all of the first page of a forum, it really should be considered.

imashooter2
09-02-2015, 02:00 PM
You don't want every file in its own sub folder either.

No new sub forums.

NavyVet1959
09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
You don't want every file in its own sub folder either.

Understood, but when the number of files of a certain type exceed a certain number, it makes sense to organize them a bit by putting them in a subfolder, just so that things are a bit cleaner. Sometimes though, the organization might result in only one file being in a subfolder, but that is because you are designing for future expansion and you know that eventually, it will be needed.