PDA

View Full Version : Any one hunting with cast in a 6mm/.243

kiwi
08-29-2015, 12:03 AM
Hi Guy's
I have started load development with the NOE 246 105 FN in my 6mm Remington, do any of you hunt with boolits in your 6mm/.243's?
hunting is not my main reason for buying this mould I plan on using it primarily for silhouette practise we have 200m scaled targets for practise
with centre fire rifles, will hunt small game with it lots of rabbits locally, just wondered if it would be able to take small deer.
Robert.

richhodg66
08-29-2015, 12:26 AM
I knew several people who consistently killed deer every year with .22 rimfires when I was growing up. It can be done with the right placement, but I don't recommend it.

I have all the stuff to cast for my 6mm, just haven't done it yet. If your mold is hollow pointed, it may be great on game the sized of coyotes and such.

jhalcott
08-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Your boolits MAY sail right thru the deer and show no effect. The deer WILL die but often a long way from the hit spot. You MUST make an accurate CNS hit(no matter the projectile used!). A good meplat or hollow point and an alloy hard enough to take the velocity. Yet still expand with in the animal. I have used clip on wheel weight for .30 caliber and even 7MM deer loads. Test YOUR loads before hunting with them.

JWFilips
08-29-2015, 05:05 PM
I wish NOE would have flattened the nose and dropped it back to 95 Gr Then it would be great. Too pointed My testing shows it is going to punch right through! And if you lower the BHN it is going to not shoot as well ( Keep in mind this is just my testing!) Now maybe if it is hollow pointed!!!??? Nice design but in a .243 It has to move at least 2000 fps for accuracy

I did some early testing in this thread (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?272669-Anyone-fireing-these-new-NOE-246-105-FN)
Since then I have fired a lot. I found they need to be hard and fast. Maybe a good target boolit but with cast for hunting I would like it slower and really flat at the nose

kiwi
08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks I tried loads with 2400 starting at 15.0grs to 20.0grs 16.0 was the best, I got some leading main cause was under size boolits I hope I only had a .243" size die
when I cast the first batch the .244" die arrived yesterday so now have the new batch sized .244" the weather has turned to custard so will have to wait till it clears. Robert.

RKJ
08-29-2015, 09:51 PM
This is why I should have checked the threads before I posted a new thread, my Grandson has a 243 and I want him to use it this year. I'll be checking this out. I think this thread answers my question. Thanks

LEADHOPPER
08-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Has anyone tried using a softnosed .243 boolit. I had read any article about making soft nose boolits with a harder shank. I have not yet tried this, but it does sound like it would work. From what I understood, there is alot of work involved to get the boolit complete, but how many are you really going to shoot.

El Bango
09-21-2015, 11:29 PM
I have been accumulating 243 Win stuff for a while and finally picked up a new TC Encore barrel.This will give me another project this winter.I ended up with a Lyman mold approximately 87gr HP GC and will start the fun after elk season.Will let you know how it goes...