PDA

View Full Version : Round ball in a .45lc

Fly
08-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Has it been done (loading a round ball in .45 lc brass or will it be to short. I thought I
read some where it was done time to time in the 1800,s. I thought about trying it in my
58 remmie. I just got into loading black powder cartridges, so that's why the dumb question.

Fly:bigsmyl2:

bangerjim
08-28-2015, 08:35 PM
I do it all the time. No problems. I do NOT use BP, but Titegroup, ETR7 and other smokeless pistol/SG powders.

longbow
08-28-2015, 09:18 PM
I used to shoot 0.445' RB's out of my Marlin .44 mag. (big chamber and fat bore!). They tended to shave a bit at seating but shot reasonably well. Then I made a 0.434" sizer and they come out a little football shaped but loaded easier and shot quite well.

I have since decided that my Accurate #43-165B is a better projectile though and weighs just a bit more. Nonetheless round ball and lightweight boolit shooting adds a new dimension to things. Cheap on powder, cheap on lead, recoil like a .22 but BIG holes in things.

Longbow

Light attack
08-29-2015, 12:34 AM
I used to load two round balls in a .45 LC. Not very accurate but fun none the less.

Light Attack.

NavyVet1959
08-29-2015, 03:33 AM
I've been meaning to load some RB in my .45LC Bisley Ruger model, but haven't gotten around to it. I've loaded it in .44 mag brass and it works good in the Rossi 92 that I've shot them from. Quiet load, efficient use of lead for a large caliber firearm. Don't have to be concerned about the bullet tumbling. :)

Nobade
08-29-2015, 09:16 AM
I treat them just like the C&B load. Powder, lubed felt wad, and ball. Works fine, the only issue is sometimes the primers back out and tie up the revolver since the pressure is so low. Normally it works just fine though.

Won't hit to the sights in a normal cartridge revolver since the recoil is so low, but in a C&B conversion it will (assuming it's regulated already)

-Nobade

w30wcf
08-30-2015, 09:13 AM
FLy,
Historically speaking, .45 Colt Gallery (Round Ball) Black Powder cartridges were made by the ammunition factories back in the day.
The powder charge was 7 grs of b.p. and the ball was seated down on the powder charge. The cases were the older SHBP type (Solid Head Button Pocket) aka Balloon Head.

http://www.oldammo.com/december05.htm Scroll down to "An Uncommon Box Of 45 Colt Cartridges"

Modern brass is thicker towards the case head and the ball will stop part way down the case so Nobade's method is the way to go....unless you have some of the older cases.

w30wcf

El Bango
09-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Speer #7 or#9 I believe had rb loads using .454 balls for Colts and other older revolvers and.451 balls for Rugers etc.

Vann
09-25-2015, 07:19 PM
When I first started shooting the frontier cartridge category at the local SASS matches, I used a pair of 58 Remington's and loaded a round ball in a 45 Colt case for my 92 Rossi. My load was 20 to 25 grains of B/P with a milk carton wad on top then I would pour a bit of 50/50 beeswax and cisco on top of the wad giving just enough room to set the ball in the case just a bit over half way. Then I'd set the ball on and give it a good crimp. These things shoot great and I never had a problem with them. Since then I've moved on to using 250 gr bullets but I wouldn't have a problem going back to my rb load.

toot
10-18-2015, 10:40 AM
I shoot 2 RB,S in my LC. and you should see the looks on the faces of the other shooters when I shoot a round and the target has 2 holes in it!! I call it double your pleasure double you fun!!