PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check questions

sniper
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Help! More newbie questions.

After reading a lot on the forum, it appears that gas check designs will be my next mould purchases.

I remember watching my brother in law mounting his gas checks on his Lyman 358156 bullets by hand, sizing, then loading the bullet into the charged brass. It all looked rather simple.

Now, I read there may be problems with the GC fit, necessitating annealing and/or some sort of expansion just to get them to fit.

A lube/sizer is not in the program, at least for a while.

Are there gas checks that will just mount, with no fiddling?

Does anybody besides Hornady and Lyman make gas checks? Is either one better, and why?

I will be using Lee sizers. As I understand the operation, it is: lube, then place the GC on the bullet base, and shove it through the sizer. Will the Lee sizer stand up to that kind of use?
Do the GCs ever come off?

EDK
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Look at some of the threads on RANCH DOG moulds and LEE LIQUID ALOX. They will give you additional information.

Allegedly, the crimp-on Hornady has replaced the Lymans. I use both, but prefer the Hornady...and will get some gator checks in the future.

If you don't need the gas check, I'd avoid them. The price, like all components, has jumped through the roof. AND finding them at any price can be interesting! I have purchased some gas check moulds lately, mostly to shoot in my MARLIN Cowboy rifles; some for curiosity/experimenting. BUT at $ .02 or .03 each for the checks, my price per round increased drastically. Plain base boolits at $.07 per round; gas checked at $.10 each.

There are some threads on shooting gas check boolits without the check. That would give some flexability, if there are no problems.

It's a learning process that never ends.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

dromia
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Gas Check Group Buy currently running in the Group Buy forum here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=28387

sniper
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
EDK;
Well, even if it does cost about $.10/ round for a cast bullet with gas check, it is still ~$. 08 cheaper than jacketed bullets, but adding the cost of metal, moulds, melter, and the other equipment, I wonder if it really is more inexpensive, at least until some time in the future when the amount of bullets cast will lower the co$t per each.

I figure shooting a bullet as it is designed will provide an overall better experience, but there are knowledgeable opinions to the contrary, so I guess it is try it and see. :)

I had heard that gas checks will keep leading to a minimum, particularly with rifle loads, and that is a big thing with me. I don't know if Cream of Wheat or plastic shot filler will work in a bottleneck cartridge to remove leading.

For me, it is not an economic thing, but it may become so, if things keep going as they are. It's just one of my hobbies, one that I used to enjoy a long time ago.

Dromia:

Unfortunately, the checks I am in need of (25 and 357 magnum size) are not available on this group buy. It's hard to find a .25 caliber mould that is not a gas check design, altlhough there is a group buy on one now.

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have a lot to learn.