PDA

View Full Version : Primer pocket too small - what are my options

detroitcharlie
08-27-2015, 10:05 PM
I have some Independence 5.56 x 45mm 55 grn brass I'm trying to squeeze in some CCI sm rifle primers No 450 into, but it's quite a tight fit. Suggestions?

Gofaaast
08-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Swage the primer pockets.

M-Tecs
08-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Swage or ream the primer pockets

Independence Ammunition is loaded by the premier manufacturer for the Israeli military, IMI, to NATO specifications in premium brass with an “FC” head stamp. This brass is properly annealed, making it perfect for reloading after primer pocket swaging. Primers are crimped and sealed for dependable ignition in any weather. The taper crimp is centered in the bullet cannelure for reliable feeding in semi-automatic firearms. This is high quality ammunition at a great price, making it the perfect choice for target shooting, training or simply stocking up. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer-primed, reloadable brass cases

detroitcharlie
08-27-2015, 10:19 PM
That's what I thought. I was hoping someone had a magical answer that didn't involve any more labor. :D

Freischütz
08-27-2015, 11:10 PM
Unplated primers have a slightly smaller diameter than the plated types. You might try them.

detroitcharlie
08-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Unplated primers have a slightly smaller diameter than the plated types. You might try them.

Hmm, I might give that a try, just to know. The CCI's will go in with significant force, but only about 1 out of 3. I hate mil brass :( I suppose I should prob invest in a bench swager.

Bzcraig
08-27-2015, 11:17 PM
The brass is worthless please ship to me for proper disposal.:bigsmyl2:

detroitcharlie
08-27-2015, 11:20 PM
The brass is worthless please ship to me for proper disposal.:bigsmyl2:

Hehe, sure after I can't trim those necks anymore :P

Bad Water Bill
08-27-2015, 11:40 PM
end it to me as Girty has volunteered to tap dance on it so no one else will have to go thru the same pains and suffering you have.[smilie=s:

detroitcharlie
08-27-2015, 11:41 PM
end it to me as Girty has volunteered to tap dance on it so no one else will have to go thru the same pains and suffering you have.[smilie=s:

Hehe, I suppose I should stop complaining and get out the reamer.

dragonrider
08-28-2015, 12:43 AM
"That's what I thought. I was hoping someone had a magical answer that didn't involve any more labor."

Labor is the part of reloading that you must make your peace with. It's always going to be there and you must learn to like it.

NavyVet1959
08-28-2015, 01:15 AM
It's not whether it involves labor, but rather whether it gives you an excuse to buy more equipment to save you a few minutes worth of labor. :)

Mytmousemalibu
08-28-2015, 03:05 AM
Hmm, I might give that a try, just to know. The CCI's will go in with significant force, but only about 1 out of 3. I hate mil brass :( I suppose I should prob invest in a bench swager.

The Bench swagers are nice but the RCBS swage die set isn't too bad either and a good chunk cheaper.

waltherboy4040
08-28-2015, 04:26 AM
I also like the rcbs press mounted swager, price is reasonable to.

detroitcharlie
08-28-2015, 02:33 PM
The Bench swagers are nice but the RCBS swage die set isn't too bad either and a good chunk cheaper.

I don't think it'll work with a Lee press...?

detroitcharlie
08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
4 seconds on the custom Ream-O-Matic has resolved the issue :D

Mytmousemalibu
08-28-2015, 05:30 PM

It will, i use one in a Lee. Its not ideal because of the spent primer well so the base collar rocks as it pops the brass off the swager but it works just fine. You can set a contact shim in there too if you feel like it.

detroitcharlie
08-28-2015, 06:04 PM
It will, i use one in a Lee. Its not ideal because of the spent primer well so the base collar rocks as it pops the brass off the swager but it works just fine. You can set a contact shim in there too if you feel like it.

Thanks Chris, I'll consider that... but the Ream-O-Matic works so well I may just stick with the free option for the small batches of 200-300 rds

waltherboy4040
08-28-2015, 06:29 PM

Just slide a 3/4 inch diameter copper pipe or joint coupler over the ram.

detroitcharlie
08-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Just slide a 3/4 inch diameter copper pipe or joint coupler over the ram.

Good solution waltherboy4040

Bzcraig
08-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Before you do too many set a couple of primers to make sure your not removing too much brass. The first time I tried reaming I got heavy handed and ruined a bunch of brass before I caught it.

Love Life
08-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Measure the nubs on your RCBS press mounted swagers.

detroitcharlie
08-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Before you do too many set a couple of primers to make sure your not removing too much brass. The first time I tried reaming I got heavy handed and ruined a bunch of brass before I caught it.

Good advice, I found 4-5 seconds while turning the brass works just perfectly.

gds45
08-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Mine works great on a Lee press. I use the swager on my Lee Reloader Press (http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-reloader-press), my Breech Lock Hand Press and Classic Cast press. Works great on all 3! :castmine:

Bad Water Bill
08-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Buy a Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Package.

Mount either reamer in your drill press and done in about 2 seconds.

Install in your electric drill and done in just a little longer time.

If you don't have either piece of equipment just use the handle provided.

EDG
08-29-2015, 04:34 PM
You must believe in the supernatural or magic.
I can tell you for sure there is no magic.
But you might find a lot of smaller primers - and that would involve work to find the smaller primers.
You can give up hand loading and shooting. That will get rid of the work element.
And you will not have to post anymore either.

That's what I thought. I was hoping someone had a magical answer that didn't involve any more labor. :D

NavyVet1959
08-29-2015, 04:53 PM

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuI6GTY9eVc

Unicorn!

detroitcharlie
08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuI6GTY9eVc

Unicorn!

LOL love that video

FLYCUTTER
08-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Spend the $100. bucks and get the Dillon Primer pocket tool. It was the best $100. I have spent and used many thousand times. You will not regret it.

country gent
08-29-2015, 08:01 PM
I have used reamers, the rcbs style press mounted swagers, and a dillon super swage. The reamers work okay, they do remove metal produce chips, want to grab and spin the case, and have the chance of making an oval primer pocket if not ran straight and true. The rcbs and press styles work good are quick and easy to set up, stops arnt as accurate as I like, and they press reform the metal back into place instead of removing it. The dillon mounted on a solid sety up is very fast accurate easily adjusted and a good stop. No chips produced as it presses the metal back into place and done right forms a nice lead to seat primers into place easily. On small batches a chambering tool or deburring tool can be used to remove crimp slow and a pain. On primer pockest that have been reamed a touch with the deburring tool afterwards makes a lead into the pocket to ease seating though. I watched one old timer use a center punch and small hammer to iron out crimps . He had a little stand with a rod the case set over set center punch into primer pocket and tap until primer would seat. I have and perfer the dillon super swage tool.

detroitcharlie
08-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Spend the $100. bucks and get the Dillon Primer pocket tool. It was the best $100. I have spent and used many thousand times. You will not regret it.

Thanks FLYCUTTER, I'll check it out.

detroitcharlie
08-29-2015, 10:55 PM
I have used reamers, the rcbs style press mounted swagers, and a dillon super swage. The reamers work okay, they do remove metal produce chips, want to grab and spin the case, and have the chance of making an oval primer pocket if not ran straight and true. The rcbs and press styles work good are quick and easy to set up, stops arnt as accurate as I like, and they press reform the metal back into place instead of removing it. The dillon mounted on a solid sety up is very fast accurate easily adjusted and a good stop. No chips produced as it presses the metal back into place and done right forms a nice lead to seat primers into place easily. On small batches a chambering tool or deburring tool can be used to remove crimp slow and a pain. On primer pockest that have been reamed a touch with the deburring tool afterwards makes a lead into the pocket to ease seating though. I watched one old timer use a center punch and small hammer to iron out crimps . He had a little stand with a rod the case set over set center punch into primer pocket and tap until primer would seat. I have and perfer the dillon super swage tool.

Good advice thanks country gent.