PDA

View Full Version : How to remedy too shallow safety notches?

Naphtali
08-27-2015, 08:16 PM
I have a used reproduction Remington cap lock revolver that functions well with one glaring exception. All safety notches on its cylinder - that is, machined slots between nipple seats into which the hammer nose fits - are too shallow. I place hammer's nose into a "trough" [rather than a slot]. But if I attempt to rotate the cylinder, it rotates into having a nipple beneath hammer nose. Safety notches are not.

Since slot positions are correct, merely too shallow, it is likely that altering them would be neither difficult nor time consuming if alteration can be done freehand or via "eyeballing." But I am no gunsmith. I do not have tools to do the job. And if I had the tools, confidence is lacking.

How do I solve the problem without buying a replacement cylinder?

Mk42gunner
08-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I don't have a Remington copy; but on my Colt copies I just put the hammer down on the nipple of an unloaded chamber if I plan to carry the gun before shooting it.

Robert

Vann
08-28-2015, 10:30 AM
I have a pair of Pietta 58 Remington's and 5 spare cylinders. All of mine are the same way, since I only load 5 shots I just remove 1 nipple from each cylinder so that I'll never load it and drop the hammer in the empty
spot.

John Taylor
08-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Any machinist with an indexing head and mill could do it in short order but it would probably be cheaper to buy a new cylinder. A dremal tool would work if you want to do it by hand. Might be able to do it with a file.