PDA

View Full Version : Best Knives you've made up

kens
08-26-2015, 12:03 PM
I would like to start thread on knives you have made up.

Let's see what knives you have smithed yourself.

W.R.Buchanan
08-26-2015, 03:54 PM
In 1984-5 I was trying to make this a business and made about 50 various Hunting /Utility knives, and then I made 250 of the same knife for a company and got burnt out.

I have only kept 3

The first one was my first one made, the second was my favorite and I carried it for many years, and the third nobody wanted.

Randy

waksupi
08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
I haven't had time to make any recently. I think I made this one last year.

Sure wish I knew how I keep getting extra attachments.

TXGunNut
08-29-2015, 01:24 PM
I've put together a few Track of the Wolf kits with Green River blades. They make better kitchen knives than I can afford to buy and they also make good hunting knives. I don't have the skills, tools or patience required to make my own blades but I've gained a new appreciation for the art by building a few kits.

Tim357
08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
I've used Old Hickory knives as a basis for my own knives. They are a great place to start, just grind slow, and cool often.

knifemaker
08-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Here is a few that I have made using S30V stainless steel and Damascus steel.

labradigger1
09-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Very nice! Is that ambonya burl in the top pic?

knifemaker
09-16-2015, 04:19 AM
No, it is spalted maple from Oregon that has been stabilized.

M-Tecs
09-16-2015, 08:58 PM

Very nice. Do you have a web site?

Edward
09-16-2015, 09:10 PM
3A is outstanding ,for sale?

knifemaker
09-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes I have a web site on Facebook. Go to Facebook and search "Hatfield knives". Knife #3A is still available on my Facebook web site. I can be contacted via my email which is listed on the Facebook web site.

winelover
09-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Here are a few left-handed folders, I made.....the top one was my first attempt. I'm not talented, enough, to do the scrimshaw.

Winelover

Blackwater
09-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Don't have any pics, but have made a few. Started out by jumping into the deep end of the pool and getting 440C bar stock and grinding/shaping it myself. A guild member friend in N. Ga. was very complimentary of my first effort, which was very, very humbling coming from him. His knives are absolute jewels, and I have one and gave my son one of his 4" DP skinners for his 21st birthday, with elephant ivory, which was still legal then. He's never used it, but keeps it in his gun safe. I hate that, but it's his. My first was a 4.4" DP skinner I made specifically to fit his rather larger than average hands. Made the handle to his measurements, and it worked! I think nobody was as surprised as I was at this! To this day, 26 years later, it's still his go-to knife for the field. Got my friend up in the mountains to do the heat treating for me, and WOW! What a difference a really good, full heat treat does to a blade!!! Had him temper to @ RC57-58, and one friend who got one of my early blades, a 3 5/8" DP bird's head pattern, skinned out 5 deer without sharpening it, and he came back for me to sharpen it again, but it would have still gone several more before really needing a real "sharpening." Good, well heat treated 440C makes a FINE knife, in NO way comparable to some of the cheap 440C knives out there that don't really seem to get much, if any, real heat treating at all! I just shaped the blades, and my friend and his heat treat overn REALLY put the "cut" in them!

Recently got the bug to make some more, mostly for the grandboys, and also (sigh!) a yen to make a real, passable sword, probably a Crusader style. Y'all pray for me, will ya'. I really want this temptation to just go away, but .... looks like it's got me!