PDA

View Full Version : Handling Men (American machinist, May, 1922)

ohland
08-25-2015, 09:59 AM
https://books.google.com/books?id=peQ-AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA714&dq=arms+and+the+man+volume+56&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBTgKahUKEwjAmJqYr8THAhWJTZIKHVyDDMQ#v =onepage&q=arms%20and%20the%20man%20volume%2056&f=false

Was Reardon working for Remington or Winchester?

A modern example is that credit card processing company out on the left coast, Gravity?, where the owner decided to pay everyone, from new hires, to folks that had been there a long time, $70K a year....

American Machinist, vol 56, No 19, May 11, 1922, page 714

Handling Men
BY F. W. REARDON

During the late war the writer was in charge of straightening gun and rifle barrels in a gun shop engaged in the production of sporting arms. A contract was taken for rifles for the Government, and at the time we had a lot of unfinished sporting arms in the shop. It was thought advisable to finish this work up as rapidly as possible, but as the government work was on a piece work basis while our regular work was paid for by the hour, we were confronted with the problem of getting piece workers to do day work. Finally I divided the men into two equal squads and told them that each squad would work one-half day on alternate days on sporting arms until the work was completed, making it fair for all hands.

Once in a while some man would stay out on the half day his squad was to work on the sporting arms, but when he came in I made him do two consecutive half day's work on them. This cured the laying off. Later on I was given charge of the barrel reaming department where the operators had never been graded according to their ability, but were all paid alike regardless of their skill or the class of work they were on.

The quality of work turned out was not up to standard and no one apparently knew how to do it properly or seemed able to learn. I said apparently. However, I felt sure that matters could be improved if the proper inducements were given, so I called all hands and told them I was going to make a change and that the work was going to be divided into four classes, according to quality, and that their ability and skill would control their pay.

Rough reaming was to be paid for at a certain rate. Second reaming 5 per cent more with a further increase of 5 per cent for finish-reaming; and the best finish reamers were to be picked as tool setters and sharpeners with a still further increase of 5 per cent. Soon each man was doing his best to reach the highest grade of work and pay and I advanced him as fast as his skill would warrant and vacancies occurred. New men were put on rough-reaming. Soon the work was up to standard and all hands were satisfied.