PDA

View Full Version : Single stage press question

ddeaton
03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Years ago I had a rock chucker. I have a Dillon 650 now for my 45acp. I want to load 308 now single stage and might get rock chucker, unless I get some input from others. I like loading rifle single stage, it lets me size, trim, polish, and prime when I have time and then load at leisure with different combinations till I get it right.

Dale53
04-01-2008, 12:06 AM
First of all, you can load "single stage" on a progressive.

If I were in the market for a press dedicated to "testing", I would seriously consider the Lee Classic Turret. It can easily be operated as a single stage and has the great benefit of using as a turret when needed. It is quick and easy to change calibers (in seconds, really), is sturdy and has compound leverage. It seems to me to be the "best of both worlds". As a matter of fact, I have long used the "old" Lee turret press in just such a manner. The Cast Iron Classic Turret is much sturdier and is better adapted to rifle cartridges than the older press that I have.

FWIW
Dale53

runfiverun
04-01-2008, 12:33 AM
i load for my m-14 on my dillon 550
and for my bolt action on a rock chucker

357maximum
04-01-2008, 03:09 AM
Shameles plug for you to buy a new press.

My dedicated single stage presses are both Forster Bonaza's, there is a certain level of precision that the press allows that the rockchucker does not. Not bashing the RC (god no I would never do that I loaded on one for years) but the bonanzas "floating" die system simply turns out more concetric ammo). The fact that your spent primers end up in a sealed jar, and you do not need dedicated cal specific shellholders also have their value, I really hate picking spent primers off the floor, and thats something that the RC seems to want to make you do no matter how you proceed. 2 second die changes in the bonanza will make you smile too.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I owned a Rock Chucker and got rid of it when I did a side by side comparison with a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The Lee is superior all around, having a primer disposable system and a the capability to have "hands off" primer seating using the Lee safety prime. It also has an excellent linkage system, similar to the RC, but with a built in stop to prevent over travel. Like the RC, you can also add Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit to making changing dies a quick painless operation. In addition, the Lee is extremely affordable. I was able to sell my RC for about enough money to pay for the Lee Classic Cast.

The only other single stage I can think of I would buy over the Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast is the Forster/Bonanza Coax. The Coax is probably the absolute best single stage out there. But the price is NOT cheap. But if you want the absolute best in long range accuracy, the Coax will give it to you.

Regards,

Dave

Sundogg1911
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
i agree that you can load rifle with a progressive, and use a progressive as a single stage.
(I load for my AK and my AR's with a Dillon 550) but in my opinion, you can't beat a single stage for precision rifle (or pistol for that matter) all my tifle (Hunting ammo) is loaded with my Rock Chucker. I do really like the Lee Classic "O" press too, for the money.

ddeaton
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Shameles plug for you to buy a new press.

My dedicated single stage presses are both Forster Bonaza's, there is a certain level of precision that the press allows that the rockchucker does not. Not bashing the RC (god no I would never do that I loaded on one for years) but the bonanzas "floating" die system simply turns out more concetric ammo). The fact that your spent primers end up in a sealed jar, and you do not need dedicated cal specific shellholders also have their value, I really hate picking spent primers off the floor, and thats something that the RC seems to want to make you do no matter how you proceed. 2 second die changes in the bonanza will make you smile too.

Where would a fellow get a decent price on a Forster? You can order on their web site, but I figure this is top dollar.

ddeaton
04-01-2008, 12:43 PM
The classic Lee will also double as a 50bmg also, right?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes, the Lee Classic will handle .50 BMG, you just need to use the Lee .50 dies with it.

Dave

ddeaton
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
decisions decisions

georgewxxx
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
ddeaton,

Midway & Midsouth both show them in stock. Midway is $222 & Midsouth is $232. Graf sells them to dealers at $189, but of course they're out of stock.

Does anyone know if Midway accepts C&R licenses as a dealer..Geo

jlchucker
04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
The Lee Classic cast iron press would be my choice, for all of the reasons other posters have cited. If Lee had brought this press out onto the market 30 years ago, it would have, in my estimation, been a top consideration of loaders who use the Rockchucker--and that is no slam against the RCBS product. The Lee Classic is that good.

Swagerman
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM
The Lee Classic is made in America, not Chinese cast parts...shame on RCBS Rock Chuscker. :(

I've heard the LC frame is made from rail road tracks, it would have to be tough to handle that sort of weight.

Have no idea what the Chinese RCBS is made from...maybe old MIg-15. :mrgreen:

Jim

rbstern
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Where would a fellow get a decent price on a Forster? You can order on their web site, but I figure this is top dollar.

I have a Forster Coax. It's an awesome press, BUT...if you are going to be loading big calibers and then switching to, say, 22 to 30 cal, much of the convenience of the shellholder-less design is lost, because the jaws that act as the shellholder have to be swapped out for a different size range. Pain in the neck.

I love the Coax, but it would not be my first choice if I was alternating between 50 BMG and smaller calibers.

For that scenario, Lee (or RCBS or Lyman or Hornady et al) shellholders are much easier, and the Lee Classic is a better choice.

The Lee also wins for more convenient and faster on-press priming.

Junior1942
04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Another vote for the Lee Classic Cast. Mine's the best reloading money I've ever spent. It even has the beef and leverage for mild bullet swaging.

jim4065
04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
ddeaton,

Does anyone know if Midway accepts C&R licenses as a dealer..Geo

Yes - they sure do. I am using my C&R as a dealer at Midway.

Hunter
04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I prefer loading rifle calibers on a single stage myself.
I take my time a little more when I load rifles, not for safety's sake but I try to be a little more precise and the single stage affords me that option.

ddeaton
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
I went for the Lee cast and a set of 308 Forstner micrometer dies. Does anyone use a bench primer? I was looking at the Forstner model, but then seen all the others.

Dale53
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I have a Lachmiller bench priming tool. However, when I went to the Lee Auto Prime handtool, I boxed up the Lachmiller. The Lee handtool is dern near wonderful (I use it on the line with my Schuetzen Outfit).

Dale53

NoDakJak
04-02-2008, 01:21 AM
I agree with Dale53 whole heartdely with one exception. I did not box up my Lachmiller priming tool. I still use mine extensively. one of the nice features of it is that it uses standard shell holders rather than special ones. Do ya hear that Richard Lee?
I use single stage press's only. Much of my loading is test loads. Five or ten rounds at a time. When loading a larger quantity I batch load. I damn well want to kow what is going into each cartridge. I want to individually inspect each case and assertian that is is safe. I have blown up three rifles and three of them were with factory cargtridges. Nuff said! Incidentally, I used to make my living as a safety cunsultant. Neil

Lloyd Smale
04-02-2008, 05:50 AM
ive never personaly seen even one gun blown up by factory ammo. 3 of them? I want details!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
ddeaton,

Look into using the Lee safety prime with the Lee Classic Cast. The Lee Classic Cast comes with the Lever prime (pretty much a standard item on single stage presses), but also has a bracket to mount a Lee Safety Prime (same priming system as their Lee Classic Turret press).

I have both the Lee Auto Prime handheld unit and the Lee Safety prime. Both are great, but I am finding the on press priming with the Safety prime to be even better than the Lee Auto Prime. BTW, the Lee Auto Prime is a good enough unit that you can spend more money, but you won't get a better hand priming unit. I own two of the Auto Primes, one for large and one for small primers.

The Safety Prime, on the other hand, can be ordered as a kit with both the large and small primer systems included as separate items. I recommend it over the Lee Auto Prime. It truly is a convenient and safe to use unit.

Regards,

Dave

waksupi
04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
ive never personaly seen even one gun blown up by factory ammo. 3 of them? I want details!!

Ditto. That statement stinks to high heaven. :confused:

Dale53
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I have never blown up a rifle with either factory OR handloads. However, I did have TWO potentially catastrophic case failures in ONE day. A "friend" gave me and my shooting buddy some old 30'06 military cartridges. My buddy and I shot them separately on different days. I had the case heads split from the primer flash hole clear across the head and up one side for about 3/8" dumping ALL of the gas back through the action of the O3-A3 I was shooting. The cases looked like they had been cut with a EDM machine. My face was peppered with brass bits that actually drew blood. Fortunately, I had shooting glasses on that prevented eye damage. After the first failure, which I thought was a million to one chance, I continued to shoot. After several other shots, it happened again. Same failure exactly. I dug a deep hole and buried the rest.

This was obviously a major case problem. While quite old, corrosive ammo, it was in perfectly good shape (appearance wise) and there was absolutely NO indication that anything was other than perfect. MY buddy had the same thing happen. We both tried to warn each other but played phone tag for a day or so.

When queried, our "friend" stated, "It happpened to me too, that is why I gave the ammo to you guys." Needless to say, I exercised SOME restraint (didn't kill him) but I sure had a talk with that young man about personal responsibility. His ears burned for long after.

So, factory ammo is NOT sacrosanct. There have been ammo recalls of "over pressure" ammo that was released to the public before recall.

FWIW
Dale53

floodgate
04-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Dale:

Were those, perchance, "RA 42" cartridges? We had similar problems with a surplus lot of those many years back, though not full head splits like yours. I posted on this a couple of years back and one of our gang - Linstrum, as I recall - identified it as electrolytic "de-zincification". This was due most likely to the presence of iron from staples in recycled paper, forming a galvanic cell when moist, and "eating" the 30% or so of zinc out of the cartridge brass, leaving a weak matrix of spongy copper that failed under load. It is detectable - after the event - by a copperish color surrounding the split. I have seen it a few times in other case failures: fortunately none as violent as yours!

floodgate

reloader89
04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
i own a rock chucker supreem and love it. its a great press, and it has enough length to load magnum rounds.

Dale53
04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
No, those were NOT RA-42. I really didn't want to say it (red faced about it) but they were 1918 U.S. Military ammo that, from all appearances had been stored properly. They looked almost "brand new" but obviously were not. I have not been anxious to repeat the act since...

Dale53

Char-Gar
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
My single stage press is an RCBS A2. Made of cast steel and not cast iron. Made in American and will last two lifetimes. Smooth as silk as you can't bust it..no way! Not made anymore, because they would cost $400.00. Folks won't pay that much for a single stage press these days. They are out there on the used market and run about $200.00.

jackley
04-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Well we went from buying a new press to blowing up guns with factory ammo. Gotta love this place.

Well back to the presses. Right to left on the bench Harrel's combo press, Rockchucker,
Co-Ax. and a very old Herters turret press now theres some old iron. They all have a use.

As far as priming don't use a press. Get a hand primmer.(Lee,RCBSor Sinclair)

If your not shooting full out custom bench guns or making little cases for big cases. It doesn't matter which press you use. I started with a Lyman Sparty never felt like I needed another one Even formed some smaller cases with it.

In the benchrest game you will see all the custom presses,Co-Ax's and even RCBS Partners
but you won't see anything but custom dies. And Wilson seaters. Just my .02 cents

Jerry

DLCTEX
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
+1 on the Lee Classic Cast Turret. Love it!. Can be used as a single stage or progressive, enough length for the biggest magnum, and the Safety Prime is the best. I used it to prime some new 22-250 cases this week that were a little tight in the pockets for the CCI primers I was using. The extra leverage was very usefull and as fast or faster than the Auto Prime. DALE

David Wile
04-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey Ddeaton,

Just to poke you in the ribs a little, I would ask why you ever got rid of you RockChucker when you bought a 650. I keep telling people they should start on a single stage press and keep it if and when they decide to get a progressive. Some folks say the Lee Classic Turret is a progressive and others say it is a single stage. I don't care what you call it, it is not a single stage massive "O" frame press like the RockChucker you had, and the RockChucker is an excellent press for doing what you want to do single stage.

I don't know who is making RockChuckers today or out of what material, but you can buy a 40 year old RockChucker on E-Bay for $100 or less, and it will last you for 40 more years, and it will last your grandchild for 40 more years after that. The RockChucker was built to last.

If you want a turret press, get a turret press. If you want a rock solid single stage press, get a big "O" frame press made to last like Forster, RCBS, Hornady, or Lyman. I have a Hornady L&L that works like a charm, but I still spend more time using my RockChucker for special jobs, and I enjoy my time at the bench more than I do going back and forth to the range.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

canyon-ghost
04-06-2008, 01:25 PM
The only advantage gained by the Rock Chucker is the compound leverage-it takes less pressure on the handle to operate.
I like mine but, these are some good suggestions here. I've been thinking about adding another press to the bench myself. Hmm..Forster, I like their quality. Lee Classic Cast..hmm...didn't know they made cast iron.

Glad I found this site now.

EMC45
04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Rockchucker is good(I have one) Lee Classic Cast is better! I have one of those too.

DLCTEX
04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
David Wile: Both statements are correct. There is a Classic cast single stage, a large press capable of handling Browning 50 cal.,with 1 1/8 inch ram, with the top bushing like the Rockchucker for 7/8 dies or the larger dies. There is also the Classic cast Turret, a 4 hole progressive press. Both can be equipped with the Safety prime, a push button primer feed that dispenses primers into the primer punch. These presses beat anything RCBS offers, sorry, but that's a fact. Don't believe me? Try it. DALE

David Wile
04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey Dale,

While I have never used either the Lee Classic Cast or the Lee Classic Turret, I have seen them both in use, and I am familiar with the use of them. In my prior post, I was making a couple of points about folks starting out in reloading.

One point was that I think it is much better to start ones reloading journey with a single stage press rather than a progressive press. There is a lot to learn about many processes in reloading, and a single stage press is an excellent way to gain that knowledge and experience.

My second point was that the Lee Classic Turret press is not a single stage press. Some folks argue that it is a progressive, and others argue that it is not a progressive. It is neither a progressive nor a single stage. It is a turret press that works in a somewhat progressive manner. It is not, however, a single stage press any more than a Dillon 450 is a single stage press.

I am familiar with a few progressive metallic presses. I used several Dillons and an older RCBS, and I have owned a Hornady L&L since they first came out almost fifteen years ago. The Lee Classic Turret has no features that I cannot find on a Dillon 650 or my Hornady L&L.

I had no intention of suggesting Lee's products are not worthwhile. Far from it in fact! Lee's products are targeted toward a very important market whose needs are not met by other manufacturers. To state that Lee's presses beat anything RCBS offers, however, is as wooden headed as those who state that Lee makes nothing but junk. If you tell me that a certain Lee press may be a better value than another brand's press, I wouldn't argue with you. I think Lee's products are a great value. But if you want to tell me that the Lee Classic Turret is a better press than a Dillon 650 or my Hornady L&L, that just won't sell a lot of soap.

In any case, the fellow who started the thread stated that he had a Dillon 650 now, got rid of his single stage RockChucker previously, and was lamenting that he did not have his RockChucker any more since he would like to do som specialized work on a single stage press again. That goes back to my point that a single stage press is an excellent press to start ones reloading journey. While I may own a Hornady L&L, I still use the same RockChucker that I have been using for forty years, and that statement has to be worth something.

One further thing, while I may not own any Lee presses, I do own several Lee products and enjoy using them. For example, I prefer to use the hand held Lee Auto Prime rather than the RCBS hand held auto prime tool that I also own. Now I wouldn't say the Lee is better than the RCBS - the RCBS is made much stronger than the Lee tool. Instead, I simply say that I prefer using the Lee tool rather than the RCBS tool. It isn't a matter of which is better; it is a matter of which meets my needs and preferences better.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

floodgate
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Dave:

"I prefer to use the hand held Lee Auto Prime rather than the RCBS hand held auto prime tool that I also own. Now I wouldn't say the Lee is better than the RCBS - the RCBS is made much stronger than the Lee tool. Instead, I simply say that I prefer using the Lee tool rather than the RCBS tool. It isn't a matter of which is better; it is a matter of which meets my needs and preferences better."

Fair statement; I love my ancient Lee one at a time hand priming tool with the screw-in shell-holders, of which I have a nearly full set; for some reason it "fits" me better than the RCBS or Lyman versions, and I feel I have much more control over what is going on than with any of the press-mounted priming systems.

Fg

jim4065
04-06-2008, 10:31 PM
For whatever it's worth - all you've gotta do to make the Lee Classic Cast Turret into a single stage press is simply lift out the "Twisted Rod" in the center. It will never rotate that turret. I have one of my turrets set up with the Universal Decapper, the Lee Hardness Tester, and a two die set for the 204 Ruger, which I prefer to batch load in "single stage" fashion.

I will agree with the statement that it can't function as a progressive - you can't make it spit out a completed round for every pull of the handle. But it will still do perfectly as a single stage or an automatic indexing turret. Haven't tried case forming on it - got the RC for that anyway. (Gotta have some reason for the RC to take up bench space.) Said it before - if you're only allowed one press, the Lee Classic Cast Turret is the best choice. Strictly my opinion, but I've got an RL450, Lee Progressive, RockChucker, Lyman SparT, and the Lee Classic Cast Turret and use 'em all - sometimes.

David Wile
04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey Jim,

You can stop the auto indexing, but it is still a turret press, not a simple single stage press. Lots of folks talk about using their Dillons and Hornady presses in a single stage manner, but that is simply erroneous. The whole concept of single stage operation is the idea of doing one operation on all your cases before doing the next operation. When you use a turret press and size a shell, then prime the same shell, then charge the same shell, and then load a bullet in the same shell, that is not the essence of single stage operation.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

floodgate
04-07-2008, 12:51 AM
David:

Maybe so, but if you just use it to keep a die set together, run all your cases through the decapper/sizer, then rotate to the next die and run them again, you ARE using it as a single-stage press, and that can be convenient. You may get better powder measuring uniformity that way, too.

Fg

Steve Collins
04-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm finally going to be picking up my Rockchucker again, to go along with my Dillon 550B. I'm looking forward to being able to use it again, it's probably 20 years old, but it'll still crank out ammo like there's no tomorrow.

I need to pick up one of RCBS' new universal hand priming tools, then I'll be set. I use different tools from different manufacturers; The Dillon does my most used calibers (.38, .357, 9mm, .45ACP,) the RC will be used for everything else, and I'll use my Lee dippers for those calibers, when possible.

Guess I better find my RCBS dies now...:confused:

David Wile
04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey Steve,

Like you, I use presses and tools from a lot of different manufacturers. My tools are all different colors: red, blue, green, orange, grey, and brown stuff. If you are getting a hand primer tool, I would suggest trying the Lee Auto Prime hand tool. It is the cheapest one you will find, and I prefer using it rather than my RCBS hand priming tool. I have an old RCBS tool that uses primers in a tray rather than the strip kind. The RCBS is built like a tank, but I really prefer using the Lee tool. I did break the thumb pressing thing on a Lee after about 12 years of use and had to buy another tool, but they are pretty cheap, and I still think it provided good service at a good dollar cost. I have been using the second one for at least 12 years now.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

DLCTEX
04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
David, the thumb lever is only $2 from Lee. DALE

I do not agree that the Rock Chucker is stronger than Lee's Classic cast press. The O frame is every bit the equal of the rock chucker and IMHO exceeds it it some respects.

jim4065
04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Jim,

You can stop the auto indexing, but it is still a turret press, not a simple single stage press. Lots of folks talk about using their Dillons and Hornady presses in a single stage manner, but that is simply erroneous. The whole concept of single stage operation is the idea of doing one operation on all your cases before doing the next operation. When you use a turret press and size a shell, then prime the same shell, then charge the same shell, and then load a bullet in the same shell, that is not the essence of single stage operation.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Hi Dave,

Ditto Floodgate. When I use it as a single stage I do one operation on a batch of cases at a time - example: size and prime 50 cases, then charge the 50 cases, then seat 50 bullets. It really is a single stage, just like the SparT or RockChucker. The difference from the RockChucker is that the dies are kept in a group and changeover is faster. The differences from the SparT are that turrets are both easier to replace and a heck of a lot cheaper. Then - you can drop in the indexing rod and it leaves the SparT behind in speed.

Progressives are much faster for a single set-up - but just don't compare when you make 2 or 3 cartridge changes in a day. Don't really know the "Golden Zone" but it seems like a single stage (or non-indexing turret) shines when you make 50 or fewer cartridges, the automatic indexing turrets will take the same set-up and increase production by a significant factor - and enable rapid cartridge changes; and the true progressives will easily crank out 1000 rounds. Before everyone eats my lunch on this - yes, I used to be able to knock out a thousand 357's on the RockChucker in a single (long) evening. I won't do that anymore even with the 450 - can't seem to hold concentration that long.

The Lee is far from perfect, but it's extremely adaptable. If you shoot a bunch of different cartridges it will (mostly) handle all of your needs. If you're firing a thousand 45 acp's or 223's every weekend, a progressive is a far better choice. Sure glad we all have different opinions - makes for a lively discussion. :drinks:

Jim

A thought - the RockChucker is a "Single Die Holding Single Stage" whereas the turret presses are "Multiple Die Holding Single Stage", with some having the option of automatically indexing dies. Again, just opinion, but the real difference in presses seems to be the number of times you have to pull the handle to get one loaded round.

If offered the option of buying stock in either Lee and Dillon, I know where my money'd go. :mrgreen:

David Wile
04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Jim,

I think the Lee Classic Turret looks like a nice press, but I had a Hornady L&L long before the Lee Classic Turret was on the drawing board. In my early reloading days of the 1960s, a friend of mine had a Lyman turret press and I had an RCBS Jr. He kept one or two sets of dies in his turret all the time, but it did not seem to be any advantage to my way of thinking. Changing dies in my Jr. press was never a problem to me, so I just never had much use for a turret press. Please do not read that as my stating that a turret press is no good; I do not mean that. I am only saying that I did not consider the whole concept of a turret on as single stage press as having practical value to me.

Perhaps I should admit that I am one of those guys who still does on occasion use a Lyman 310 Nutcracker tool to load a few rounds, especially for my 45-70, just to pay homage to the old days. I also still have a number of old single stage presses including Herters, Wells, Pacific, and my two RCBS presses. I had an RCBS A2 press that I sold to buy my RockChucker, and I wish I still had that.

I have praised Lee before for meeting the needs of a specific target of the reloading market, and I have related that I also use a number of Lee products. I do draw the line, however, at using the old Lee Loader hand tool, the first loader I ever purchased. I loaded one box of 30-40 Krag with that kit, and I took it back to the store and traded up to a used "C" press. I don't know how others use the Lee Loader, but I would rather do without ammo than go through that hammering process. Again, I did not say the Lee Loader was junk; I am only saying the Lee Loader method just made me crazy. The Lyman Nutcracker is neat to me, but the Lee Loader drives me over the edge. About ten years ago, my son-in-law was given a Lee Loader in 30-06, and he asked me to show him how to use it. Again I helped him load one box of ammo, and that was it for me. It was also it for him. He has seen me load on my presses, and he said he would opt for the press.

If I remember correctly, I paid about $3.25 for the Lee Loader back in 1960. A few years later, I bought an RCBS Jr. press for the then really high price of about $18. The $18 also included a set of dies and a shell holder for my 30-40 Krag, but that was a whole lot of money to me in the 1960s. Back then, I used a set of Lee powder dippers to throw charges in my scale pan to be trickled up to final weight. I don't think I got a powder dispenser until late in the 1960s. Like I said, money was tight then. I also used a lot of Hodgdon 4831 powder back then because it was surplus and sold for under 75 cents a pound. It was still cheap (less than $1.50 a pound) until it ran out in the early 1970s.

Going back to the subject of my not minding changing dies and not seeing the value of a turret, I spent quite a few years never using the L&L feature of my Hornady progressive press. I just never minded changing dies. After some years, however, I bought a bunch of extra bushings and started leaving some of my dies in the bushings. I still don't do it with all of my dies, however, because the settings are different if I want to use them on a single stage press.

Yes, I think your Lee Classic Turret press is a really neat machine and a great value. I would still recommend that new folks start with the most simple of single stage machines however, an "O" or "C" frame - without any turret to distract their learning minds.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

jim4065
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
David,

Wish I could have afforded a Lock and Load a few years ago - It's a beautiful press. Oh well - always wanted Ann Margaret too. :drinks:

Jim

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree with Dale and Jim on this one.

I've been lucky enough where I live to have been able to try out or to own most of the progressive, turret and single stage presses on the market for the last ten years or so.

I have a Hornady LnL and fully utilize all it's capabilities. I also own a Lee Classic Cast single stage, a great single stage and find it very useful for special tasks I don't want to use the LnL Progressive or Lee Turret for. I also own the Lee Classic Turret.

Of the presses I've seen or handled, it is BY FAR the best choice for a man who only wants to buy only ONE press or for the man just starting out reloading. It's extremely fast and inexpensive to change calibers. It's easy to use as a single stage for batch reloading. It's easy to change back to an auto-advance turret for runs of ammo 200 rounds or less, making it ideal to support a variety of milsurp calibers. It can take either one of Lee's very good Auto Prime powder dispensers or I can put a Hornady or RCBS case activated powder drop on it and use an RCBS Uniflow on a turret. The turrets only hold four dies, but they're cheap as dirt (less than ten bucks most places), so you can afford to buy a bunch. The priming system is about as trouble free as can be once it's setup right the first time, just as reliable as a Hornady or Dillon priming system (and I know, I've owned both other brands). It has a primer disposable system that gets rid of old primers and keeps the press clean and free of primer debris/dirt, so significantly less cleanings are needed than most all other presses, excepting the Hornady LnL. It's a very durable press, made of cast iron and steel, with only the inexpensive turrets being aluminum and they're a big chunk and unlikley to break.

Bottom line is, if I could ONLY own ONE press, it would be the Lee Classic Turret. By far the best choice for a huge number of reasons. This idea of going slow and working one's tail off to learn how to load rounds on a single stage to me is for the birds. Man didn't invent machines so he could continue using stone axes. Telling a guy to learn to reload with a single stage is like telling him to use a stone axe to hunt with. Works and really develops his hunting skills, but he'd probably be a lot happier using a rifle and getting the food in a reasonable amount of time and going back home to his family and his job. This ain't the stone age.:Fire: :castmine:

Just my .02,

Dave

felix
04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Just loading and shooting the way we currently do is living in the stone age. ... felix

ddeaton
04-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Ddeaton,

Just to poke you in the ribs a little, I would ask why you ever got rid of you RockChucker when you bought a 650. I keep telling people they should start on a single stage press and keep it if and when they decide to get a progressive. Some folks say the Lee Classic Turret is a progressive and others say it is a single stage. I don't care what you call it, it is not a single stage massive "O" frame press like the RockChucker you had, and the RockChucker is an excellent press for doing what you want to do single stage.

I don't know who is making RockChuckers today or out of what material, but you can buy a 40 year old RockChucker on E-Bay for $100 or less, and it will last you for 40 more years, and it will last your grandchild for 40 more years after that. The RockChucker was built to last.

If you want a turret press, get a turret press. If you want a rock solid single stage press, get a big "O" frame press made to last like Forster, RCBS, Hornady, or Lyman. I have a Hornady L&L that works like a charm, but I still spend more time using my RockChucker for special jobs, and I enjoy my time at the bench more than I do going back and forth to the range.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

David, sorry so late gettting back to ya. Over the years you change gears with interests. I got out of modern shooting and went to reenacting, building, and shooting flintlocks. Got rid of all my old reloading stuff yrs ago. Now I am doing both and want to start casting too.

jim4065
04-10-2008, 12:51 AM
.........Over the years you change gears with interests...................

Amen. I'm startin' to think guns are like men's ties - hang on to 'em, they'll be wanted again.......... :mrgreen:

crabo
04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Does the Lee Turret have any flex in the die holders holders compared to the classic press? I used to have a Spar T and it seems like I had some flex in it when I sized cases. This was 15 or 20 years ago. I love the idea of being able to switch back and forth on the dies without removing them. I also have to replace a rock chucker because I loaned it to a friend. He'll give it back, but it's been loaned for 10 years and he uses it all the time. He's a good enough friend that I won't ask for it back.

Crabo

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Crabo,

The turret moves up to a certain point, then it can't go any higher. When it's in the up position and while you're sizing, etc., the die isn't going any where. It also stays very level, much more so than any other turret I've ever seen. It really does behave a lot like a single stage in that respect.

Google Lee Classic Turret and you'll find two excellent articles and one compares the Lee with older turret presses.

Dave

DLCTEX
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Crabo, there is a slight amount of movement in the turret, but it is consistent and absolutely stops solid to complete the stroke as the turret is supported all the way around. My lyman turret has flex that doesn't really stop, matter of fact I broke the bolt in the center resizing 243 that had been fired in another rifle. The Lee has a reported shear strength of 40.000 lbs.

jim4065, +1 on Ann Margaret, she was HOT! DALE

Dale53
04-10-2008, 11:36 PM
The Lee Classic Turret Press is a VERY clever design. As stated above, the turrets are supported 360 degrees and as a result there is NO tilting when under pressure. They are also quite inexpensive compared to other designs.

This press can truly be called ground breaking. The original turret press was a good design, the Classic Turret press can be described as an EXCELLENT design.

Dale53

JesterGrin_1
04-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Here You Go :) http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

David Wile
04-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey Crabo,

You must be one really good friend to have.

"I also have to replace a rock chucker because I loaned it to a friend. He'll give it back, but it's been loaned for 10 years and he uses it all the time. He's a good enough friend that I won't ask for it back. " Crabo

Do you by any chance loan out your wife or girlfriend? Maybe a good hunting dog? Come to think of it, I think I already know some guys who would like to loan out their wife or girlfriend - more or less on a permanent basis. I doubt if anyone woule loan his dog, however.

I know my wife has been offering to loan me out permanently for the past forty some years. No one else will have me though.

Still, it seems like above and beyond the call for you to lend your RockChucker for ten years.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

David Wile
04-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Hey Crabo,

In over forty years of reloading, I have never had much use for a turret press mainly because I never found it to be a problem to change dies in a single stage press. In most of those years, I also did not like the inherent spring of the turret presses available.

When Lee came along with their Classic Turret design, it was something completely new as a design concept to me. In speaking about the Lee Classic Turret Press, Dale 53 said, "This press can truly be called ground breaking. The original turret press was a good design, the Classic Turret press can be described as an EXCELLENT design." I agree with him completely. The site listed by Jester above shows how its design strength is a whole new concept compared to the old turrets such as Lyman and others. The Classic Turret looks to be a rock solid design.

Having said all those good things about it, however, it is still a turret, and I still don't have much use for a turret. Remember, I don't mind changing dies. In spite of my bias toward simple single stage "O" frame presses, however, I am seriously considering getting one just because I like the beauty in the mechanics of it. I have to start asking around the gun club to see who has one that I can get some hands on time with it. I don't need one, but I think they are beautiful machines.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

crabo
04-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Sometimes a friendship is worth more than money or material things. I know he would give it back in a heartbeat if I asked him. I may ask him to buy me a Lee classic turret, or I may not. It just isn't that important.

Crabo

JesterGrin_1
04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Crabo you are right except for one small part. And that is Sometimes it is not Sometimes it is all the time that a friendship is worth more than money or material things.

Many people just forget that in this day and age. But some do not. :)

shotman
04-12-2008, 07:04 AM
how many of you on here have or have used a Lyman All American i have 4 and one has loaded many 100 thousand rounds is still tight shotman/rick

BruceB
04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
For over forty years now, I've used my turret presses AS TURRET PRESSES, and auto-indexing is NOT required for a large improvement in production rates over that of single-station presses..

The turret is simply clicked from one position to the next in loading each cartridge completely, meaning that once a case is placed in the shellholder it is loaded to completion before removing it from the press. The powder measure is mounted in the turret, of course. 200 rounds per hour of GOOD ammo is accomplished easily on my All-American, unless I'm installing dacron in cast-bullet loads...that slows things down a wee bit, but not as much as one might think.

The only single-stage press I have is a Rockchucker, which spends most of its time on a shelf until needed for specific and unusual jobs, such as last week when I used it to swage-down the bases of .308WCF brass as one step in forming .35 Remingtons.

And shotman, yes indeed, I bought my A-A press new in 1967 and it too has loaded hundreds of thousands without any effect except to get smoother. No plans for change now!

Phil A
04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
The auto indexing is an improvement for me. I can keep the right hand on the handle and the left hand is free for the brass, bullets and priming (using the safety primer). The indexing can be easily disabled for die setup which is a nice option with the Lee press. With components organized near the press, the run rate is improved over manually indexing the turret. However I am not a speed demon and I always pause to peek at the powder level. - Phil

Ed K
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I am in the exact same situation as the original poster. Got a blue progressive and figured I'd never be looking back. Looking at both the classic cast and (since reading this thread) the turret. Probably will just stick with single stage though. I have a question: I've got a pile of RCBS shellholders. Will they fit the Lee ram?

Yance
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
I have a question: I've got a pile of RCBS shellholders. Will they fit the Lee ram?
Current shellholders are all "standard". Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, all interchangable.

steif
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I have had a turret press long enough to have bought one as a kit with a hard maple box to mount it to... even bought the conversion kit to turn it to the auto index when they offered it. that's a while back....
But if I were starting over and was to buy a new press I would buy a classic from lee first and then probably jump into a turret after a while mainly for pistol calibers.
I still use a old herters press for a lot of rifle calibers I load and use the turret for pistol calibers. odd, but that's just me.
bottom line is I would get a classic press from lee, either new or used from whatever auction or shop I happenned to be in that had one for sale...
1 vote for the classic press here....
Good luck!

ed etheridge
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
have had a bonanza coax for quite awhile and really like it.

Drilling Man
05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I have been reloading for a long long time, and in that time i've used many different presses, i still own several...

In the late 70's, i bought a Bonanza Co-ax and to this day it's still my favorite press of all time. I liked it so much i bought a second one to have as a spare, but i can't wear out the first one.

Durning my ammo mfg./case forming days, i relyed on my Rock Chucker for case forming duties. The RC is one of the best press's of that type i've ever used, and i still have one.

Durning my bonded bullet mfg. days, i used a RCBS Big Max to form the copper tubeing. It's one heck of a press for those duties, and i still have it too.

I still have 7 or 8 other presses around too, but the Forester is by far my press of choise!! BUT, if i could only have one press, and it had to do everything, it would be a Rock Chucker...

DM

unclebill
06-03-2008, 08:52 AM
how many of you on here have or have used a Lyman All American i have 4 and one has loaded many 100 thousand rounds is still tight shotman/rick

ive got one.
and a classic cast
and a dillon.

Tom W.
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't forget about the "other" green press.. Redding..