PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL-300?

beeser
08-24-2015, 08:53 PM
I just picked up a new, never used Dillon RL-300 with most of it in original packaging but a manual was not included. Most of the setup is intuitive but I'm still confused about how some of it is put together. Does anyone know where a manual can be found? The unpretentious machine didn't catch my eye originally but it's beginning to grow on me.

44Vaquero
08-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Seagiant will be along shortly I am certain. He owns and runs several RL-300's, it is his favorite press.

.50bmg
08-24-2015, 09:26 PM
I just picked up a new, never used Dillon RL-300 with most of it in original packaging but a manual was not included. Most of the setup is intuitive but I'm still confused about how some of it is put together. Does anyone know where a manual can be found? The unpretentious machine didn't catch my eye originally but it's beginning to grow on me.
Any pics???

luvmy40
08-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Considering Dillon's "No BS" warranty, I'd bet they'll send you a manual gratis.

VHoward
08-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Seagiant will probably try to buy it from you.

According to a posting on Dillon's forum, the shell plates and locator buttons from the rl550b will work on the rl300, but there are no tool heads available. If Seagiant can't help you with set up and running the rl300, Dillon might still have a manual to send you.

seagiant
08-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Hi,
I don't have a manual, but it's easy to figure out.

It does rotate opposite of the 450 and 550!

I have three, one in 45 ACP,one in 9MM and one on the workbench being rebuilt!

I'm left handed and it is an "H" type press so is southpaw friendly!

Being the primer feed and powder are worked manually you can work it progressively or just load one round at a time.

It is a very fun,relaxing loader to me and with good dies puts out EXCELLENT ammo!

Mike Dillon only made about 800 and said he lost $100 on each one.

It is a SOLID press and after this he went to the all cast frame for the RL-450!

beeser
08-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Getting in touch with Dillon sounds like a good idea. I will most likely do that tomorrow. I'll post some pics soon after becoming a little more familiar with the press. I really don't know much about it but what I found unique so far besides the overall heft is the cast brass linkage and the bronze or brass bushing around the center shaft. The only other press that I recall seeing it on is the German made Prazi Press.

Alvarez Kelly
08-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Honestly, seagiant is probably your best resource for the RL300. He is trying to corner the RL300 market. :-)

The best piece of advice I can offer is to treat your primer slides as gold. They are the part that can be damaged by careless use and are very difficult to find.

The Dillon RL300 "manual" is a really difficult to read photocopy of hand written instructions. With the possible exception of setting up the primer punch, the operation of this press is very intuitive.

Enjoy your new find!

beeser
08-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Honestly, seagiant is probably your best resource for the RL300. He is trying to corner the RL300 market. :-)

The best piece of advice I can offer is to treat your primer slides as gold. They are the part that can be damaged by careless use and are very difficult to find.

The Dillon RL300 "manual" is a really difficult to read photocopy of hand written instructions. With the possible exception of setting up the primer punch, the operation of this press is very intuitive.

Enjoy your new find!

Thanks. It should be fun to work with it. As for cornering the market, seagiant has a long way to go with 800 of them made. LOL

beeser
08-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the 300. I haven't figured out how to adjust the primer slide to drop a primer onto the primer stem yet. I'm hoping the info. requested from Dillon this morning will help. Got a chuckle out of the spent primer cup. It looks like the caps that cover trailer wheel bearings or the escutcheons used on fire sprinkler systems.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 03:36 PM
I have 2 friends that have 300's and they have changeable tool heads. They found a guy with a cnc machine and had heads made so they can change them out. like a 550.

gunarea
08-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Hey BEESER
As an original owner of a RL 300, I have an original owners manual(for lack of a better term). My press was sold to me with a phone call from Mike Dillon. I ****ed up, trusted him and purchased a package deal. Over thirty five years of continuous usage has not made a structural blemish in the machine. Ammunition produced on this press has secured many major Florida state titles in several different competitive shooting disciplines. My best estimate through primer purchases is around a million and a quarter rounds produced on this press to date. My financial status has never been a concern when equipment for my hobby was needed. The RL 300 is my choice for use. It has been my distinct pleasure to gift two friends with a Dillon RL 300 for each. One with the serial number plate and one without. As mentioned, tool heads are the hurdle. Without fanfare, they are painfully expensive to reverse engineer. Even then, they are expensive to produce. If you need guidance, I am here.

Hey Seagiant
One of the presses I gifted to a friend, looks better now than when it was new. Mine, not so much.147698 You will appreciate the photo and understand exactly what went into the spread. The short powder hopper came to be, when changing calibers found a weak link in the attachment. That is for 9mm and Bullseye. Plenty of reservoir. After thirty five years, I guess it's time to stop calling it my "new press". I don't love Dillon but I love my RL 300.

Roy

seagiant
08-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Hi Roy,
Nice story,like I said before the 300 is robust and was actually a "mistake" by Mike Dillon.

As it was made to well and did not have enough profit margin in it!

That's why he went to the totally cast frame with the 450!!! (and beyond)

I just picked up another orphan today for a fair price.

Not complete,(don't find to many that are now a days) has a Dillon auto PM instead of the original manual.

The good news is some parts do work from the 450/550 loaders.

I now have four so instead of keeping toolheads I just set a 300 up and leave it for one caliber!

Another project,but I love reworking these!

Here's a pic from the seller!

4 down and 796 to go!!!

Pee Wee
08-29-2015, 05:43 AM
Roy is one of my Friends that I was Talking about, He has cranked out a bizillon rounds on that press. I have watched him use it and he is a pro on it when he has had he daily dose of medication.

seagiant
08-29-2015, 09:26 AM
I have watched him use it and he is a pro on it when he has had he daily dose of medication.

Hi,
Yep! That always helps!

You guys are in Debary? I used to live in Deland and run through Debary now and then in the old days!

Here's some pics of the one I'm rebuilding now.

Someone had drilled a hole in it to attach something, I know not what.

As you can see got it back to square one but have to make a primer housing.

Was lucky that Alvarez Kelly had a like new shell plate platform!

Parts are scarce!

44Vaquero
08-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Seagiant, nice work as always! 796 to go!!!

Pee Wee
08-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Yep, I live in DeBary, Roy is up in Pomona Park, he just moved up there a few months ago from Samsula. We shoot Lawn steel together at Volusia County Gun Club. He's taught me a lot about bullettearing. If you are ever coming this way give a shout out and come shoot with us.
Just PM me and I'll send #.
Pee Wee

seagiant
08-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Yep, I live in DeBary, Roy is up in Pomona Park, he just moved up there a few months ago from Samsula. We shoot Lawn steel together at Volusia County Gun Club. He's taught me a lot about bullettearing. If you are ever coming this way give a shout out and come shoot with us.
Just PM me and I'll send #.
Pee Wee

Hi,
Thanks Pee Wee!!!

seagiant
08-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi,
It's sort of funny to me that there are close to 800 RL-300's out there somewhere but only a few people here on this forum that have one?

Can't help but wonder where they are all at, and why you don't see them for sale that much?

Could it be that people are holding on to them???

I don't know?

The first one I saw in person was at a gun show, and I wanted it, but refused to pay the price the owner wanted for it!

jakharath
08-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Seagiant - My first 650 sat in an open sided barn for about 10 years in Texas. I'd imagine that there is a good percentage of 300's in barns/attics/etc. that have been forgotten. Probably quite a few have been taken to the scrap yard too.

seagiant
09-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Seagiant - My first 650 sat in an open sided barn for about 10 years in Texas. I'd imagine that there is a good percentage of 300's in barns/attics/etc. that have been forgotten. Probably quite a few have been taken to the scrap yard too.

Hi,
Yea God knows how many have been abused/neglected/trashed since 1980!

The owner of the one I bought a few days ago said he had won some pretty impressive pistol championships using two RL-300's!

He is now running two 550's!

I'd rather have a 300 than a 550, but that's me!

quasi
09-12-2015, 04:43 PM
that press looks very heavy duty compared to the 550 I used to own.

GLShooter
09-20-2015, 04:44 PM
I have three 300's. They are pretty much dedicated to 45ACP, 9MM and 223/mixed. I'd say they will never out. Mine loaded all the ammunition I needed to win six national USPSA titles and literally a pickup full of trophies. Not as fast as my 550 or 650 but just as accurate ammunition.

Greg

PS: Mine will be for sale in about 20 years when the throw my ashes in the kitty litter.

Greg

Blowout
03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
I'm getting a RL300 gifted from my neighbor. Came across this thread while trying to determine if it should be cleaned up or used as a boat anchor.

GLShooter
03-05-2024, 10:28 AM
I'm getting a RL300 gifted from my neighbor. Came across this thread while trying to determine if it should be cleaned up or used as a boat anchor.

The pressies are solid. I have three and fir decades loaded all my match ammo on them. I think I've broken one part in the last 40 years and that's the bushing the shell plate bolt goes through. The manual powder measures works fine but I have upgraded to the Dillon auto drop on one and use LEE disk type on another. The third one has the original. The 550 conversion kits fut so you are virtually limitless on what you load.

Good luck and enjoy.

Greg

dillonhelp
03-05-2024, 02:41 PM
It depends on if the primer feed is intact and functioning or not. The only primer part that interchanges with the current 550 C is the primer cup. Without the primer feed consider it a turret loader where the cases rotate instead of the dies. Still capable of 100-120+ rounds per hour. It will use the current 550 caliber conversion kits.

Big Wes
03-06-2024, 10:52 AM
I found this manual on the web https://www.dillonprecision.com/media/manuals/dillon-rl300-manual-english.pdf

GLShooter
03-06-2024, 10:57 AM
I found this manual on the web https://www.dillonprecision.com/media/manuals/dillon-rl300-manual-english.pdf

Pretty primitive. I remember reading it when I got my first one.

Greg