PDA

View Full Version : who ownes a OLD Remington 760 GAMEMASTER

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
mine dates back to 1952. handed down throughout the family... doesnt look like its ever been heavily exposed to the elements. its chambered in 30-06.

i saw a few pics of dear great grandpa shot on his trips. dad never actually shot it on a hunting trip but he loved shooting it.

has anyone acquired one over the years and have anything positive or negative to say about it?

the wife dropped a bombshell on me the other day and said she wants to go hunting/camping. ( like travel,hunt for a few days) so its going to be the only gun we pack, besides our carry guns...

rking22
08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Yes, I have a 300Savage from 1952 as well. I like them and have found another from 57, a basket case, and built a 35 cal with a scope. Nice rifles and quite accurate as well. Those who require a great trigger will be disappointed, but overall not a bad trigger. Blued steel and walnut, shoot it and enjoy!

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 07:23 PM
mine has a cheap bushnell banner on it... if we get serious about reloading and hunting we will change things as needed. it seems like the banner scopes have really improved since 2010 ish. i feel good about mine.

altheating
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I have two. One in a 30/06 and the second in 35 rem. The 30/06 is my everyday carry gun for deer. They carry as nice as any rifle out there. They are accurate, dependable and fast to your shoulder. I cut my barrels down to 18".

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 08:43 PM
i need to get a sling for mine. the leather one sat to long without oil

dragon813gt
08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Every one in PA has at least one family member that owns one. I have one in 35 Remington that was my grandfathers. Every Uncle has one. And friends all have more than one in the family. I swear this state is the reason that Remington kept producing them.

I know my grandfather would want me to hunt w/ it. But I can't do it. It's the only firearm of his that was handed down to me and it would be heartbreaking if I broke it. I still take it on hunting trips but it's my backup rifles backup :laugh:

Personally I'm not really a fan of them. They handle well in thick woods. But I prefer a lever action.

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
did you cut the barel down to make it a more compact brush gun ?

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Every one in PA has at least one family member that owns one. I have one in 35 Remington that was my grandfathers. Every Uncle has one. And friends all have more than one in the family. I swear this state is the reason that Remington kept producing them.

I know my grandfather would want me to hunt w/ it. But I can't do it. It's the only firearm of his that was handed down to me and it would be heartbreaking if I broke it. I still take it on hunting trips but it's my backup rifles backup :laugh:

Personally I'm not really a fan of them. They handle well in thick woods. But I prefer a lever action.

my great grandfather hated his wife and children,grand children,and great grand children... so the gun holds more sentimental value that my dad handed it to me then the fact its been in the family for, well, who knows long.....

LAKEMASTER
08-24-2015, 08:54 PM
come to think about it, everyone who i show mine to freaks out that its a pump 3006. a avid hunter friend of mine wanted to buy it from me when he played with it, but he was into hunting at like 400-700 yards so idk if he would have liked it.

OnHoPr
08-24-2015, 10:52 PM
The Rem 760 Gamemaster has won I don't know how many World Deer Running Championship Shoots in Scandinavia. Very lethal

MT Gianni
08-25-2015, 12:10 AM
AKA the Amish machine gun. Fun but not necessarily accurate.

tdoyka
08-25-2015, 12:29 AM
i own two, the 308 and the 30-06. both shoot 3/4 - 1" at 100 yards. my dad has a '06 and he only shoots 180gr rn from remington, 1 1/4" at 100 yards. my dad's best buck was off hand, close to 200 yards and two shots on the shoulder grouped around 2". i think that makes it real accurate!!!

Teddy (punchie)
08-25-2015, 12:32 AM
760 Gamemaster from early 70's 30-06 likes reloads little hot. Pushing 150 Sierra BT at 3100 + FBS. There a jumper at the bench better hold the forearm. They will smack you if you don't.

Only thing I truly dislike is the noise the forearms makes. The metal rattle if you tap is just so.

I pick up a older 760 like one your talking about for the girls if they choose to use it. She a little rough and may cut the butt of stock to fit them.

A good scope and factory ammo they will shoot 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds.. They can shoot under an inch with the right load. 1.5 being average group.

OnHoPr
08-25-2015, 01:07 AM
760 Gamemaster from early 70's 30-06 likes reloads little hot. Pushing 150 Sierra BT at 3100 + FBS. There a jumper at the bench better hold the forearm. They will smack you if you don't.

Only thing I truly dislike is the noise the forearms makes. The metal rattle if you tap is just so.

:bigsmyl2: on the first comment. For the second comment, a small green twig of about 3/16" curled just at the tip of the forearm in between the forearm and the barrel lightly will cure that ailment. It will fall off when you rack the neckst shell in, IF YOU NEED A NECKST SHELL.:mrgreen:

I have seen one ragged hole three shot groups with those rifles. Loaded hot though the barrel heats up quick and the fourth and fifth shot start to wander in which ever direction the barrel likes. I never put more that three in the clip or one in the tube and two in the clip. An older range officer at the local DNR range told me a old indian proverb a couple of times, "One shot, probably deer, Two shots, maybe deer, Three shots, no deer." Or, at least with a good shootin 06 anyways.

azrednek
08-25-2015, 02:45 AM
I had a late 50's 760 in 270. Best shooting rifle I had shooting through irons. It was a bit reluctant with hand loads but after using a RCBS small base die it was as slick as butter. I'd still have it but was offered a near cherry S&W Model 28-1 in a straight across trade.

As an interesting side note. The Remington 760 in 30/06 was adopted and in the arsenal of many FBI offices for several years. I was told by a retired Postal Inspector. Many police depts. adopted the 760 as it was easy to train cops that had prior extensive training with the Remington pump shotgun.

High Desert Hunter
08-25-2015, 02:52 AM
I have one given to me by my Grandfather, no idea how old it is. I shoot mostly cast over 2400 through it, it needs parts that I can't seem to find.

azrednek
08-25-2015, 03:08 AM
it needs parts that I can't seem to find.

Have you searched the net?? I found an oddball ejector used for one year only on a Remington 740. Wish I could remember the name but there is somebody that makes and sells hard to find Remington rifle parts. I'll look through my email and see if I can locate the name of the vendor.

azrednek
08-25-2015, 03:16 AM
Here is the page off of Remington's website of vendors that sell obsolete and discontinued Remington parts. I got the oddball ejector from Jack First in South Dakota.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/parts-information/specialty-parts-dealers.aspx

altheating
08-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Lakemaster, yes I cut to make it more compact for brush hunting and to keep it from snagging on low hanging tree limbs when it is on my shoulder. Being 6'-2" tall, a long barrel sticking up over my shoulder catches everything. Mine likes 165 gr Sierra HPBT bullets. When I first got the 760 in 35 rem, the first stop was the the vise and a hack saw. Cut it, re crowned it and loaded some RCBS 35-200's. It shoots very well.

kungfustyle
08-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Great gun. It kicks. You may want to load up a few casts for your wife unless she likes recoil. Or get the Remington 125 g for her.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Great gun. It kicks. You may want to load up a few casts for your wife unless she likes recoil. Or get the Remington 125 g for her.

wife is 5'11 and 230. shes a roller derby chick in her spare time...

if she cant handle the gun she can hold the optics lol

but i really do want to make some coyote loads with little cast 30 cal rounds. just to play with it.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Here is the page off of Remington's website of vendors that sell obsolete and discontinued Remington parts. I got the oddball ejector from Jack First in South Dakota.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/parts-information/specialty-parts-dealers.aspx

nice, im storing this away!

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Lakemaster, yes I cut to make it more compact for brush hunting and to keep it from snagging on low hanging tree limbs when it is on my shoulder. Being 6'-2" tall, a long barrel sticking up over my shoulder catches everything. Mine likes 165 gr Sierra HPBT bullets. When I first got the 760 in 35 rem, the first stop was the the vise and a hack saw. Cut it, re crowned it and loaded some RCBS 35-200's. It shoots very well.

when you cut it did it make the damn thing even louder ? lol

dad handed the 760 to me when i was like 11 and said, " here, becareful, it kicks more then a 22"

boy did it.................................. but us being dumb, we forgot to grab ears, and the sound of that cannon scared me more then the kick.

Hardcast416taylor
08-25-2015, 03:39 PM
A neighbor whose son moved to Wyoming with his family to work the oil fields took a mid `50`s 760 in .300 Sav. with him. In the several years he has been out there and he and his own son use the .300 for hunting, they have taken both antelope and mule deer out as far as 250 yds when using 150 gr. factory loads.Robert

rking22
08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Lakemaster, the basket case I bought had been cut down to 16 1/100 inches INCLUDING a muzzlebrake. That was the L-O-U-D-E-S-T thing I ever shot ! I have a Rem600 in 308 with an 18 inch barrel and it's not too bad(with plugs), but that short barrled 06 was unbeliveable, kicked like a 22 but roared something aweful! It's now a 35-06 short with 26inches of barrel,it's not as handy as the carbines but I got short stuff. Anyone interested in the 06 shorty just PM, I will never remount it :)

EDG
08-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I have a .35 Rem from 1952. It was almost unfired when I got it.

Para82
08-25-2015, 05:35 PM
I have a 760 Carbine in 30-06 that I bought used in 1979 at a pawn shop in Fayetteville, NC. I have killed a truck load of deer with it over the years and it always goes with me the first day of season. It has always been accurate as it needs to be. It is not a bench rest rifle! It is loud(18 1/2 barrel) and it does kick but it feels like an extension of me and I have only had to ever shoot one deer twice using it and that was my fault(poor shot choice). I use 180gr Core-Lokts.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 05:53 PM
A neighbor whose son moved to Wyoming with his family to work the oil fields took a mid `50`s 760 in .300 Sav. with him. In the several years he has been out there and he and his own son use the .300 for hunting, they have taken both antelope and mule deer out as far as 250 yds when using 150 gr. factory loads.Robert
Wow, nice. Maybe I'll expect more from mine while zeroing the score

nekshot
08-25-2015, 05:54 PM
I have one in 35 rem that was not drilled for scope.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 05:56 PM
I have a 760 Carbine in 30-06 that I bought used in 1979 at a pawn shop in Fayetteville, NC. I have killed a truck load of deer with it over the years and it always goes with me the first day of season. It has always been accurate as it needs to be. It is not a bench rest rifle! It is loud(18 1/2 barrel) and it does kick but it feels like an extension of me and I have only had to ever shoot one deer twice using it and that was my fault(poor shot choice). I use 180gr Core-Lokts.

It seems like a lot of people like heavy rounds in these

M-Tecs
08-25-2015, 06:56 PM
I always thought the 760's were a half-baked solution to a stupid law in PA. Never understood why anyone would want one. Spongy trigger, limit extraction force, rattles, not accurate etc.

A couple of years ago I picked up one in 30-06 in a trade solely for resale, but I wanted to shoot it before I sold it. Original I took it out to confirm what a *** it was. Big mistake. Mine shoots and handles way better than expected and for what it is the trigger is fine. I really like it and it will not be for sale anytime soon.

High Desert Hunter
08-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Thank you guys so much!

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 07:50 PM
I always thought the 760's were a half-baked solution to a stupid law in PA. Never understood why anyone would want one. Spongy trigger, limit extraction force, rattles, not accurate etc.

A couple of years ago I picked up one in 30-06 in a trade solely for resale, but I wanted to shoot it before I sold it. Original I took it out to confirm what a *** it was. Big mistake. Mine shoots and handles way better than expected and for what it is the trigger is fine. I really like it and it will not be for sale anytime soon.

I've heard that a few times. A retired cop friend said they rattled in the squad cars.

But he said he loved shooting them!

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Thank you guys so much!

I take it as you have one too!

376Steyr
08-25-2015, 08:02 PM

I always thought 760 was built to be sold to hunters who already had pump shotguns.

I took my first deer with my Dad's 760 in .300 Savage. He traded it off a long time ago. A little while back I was in my local Cabela's and found a 760 in .300 Savage, exterior refinished but the bore looked new, built in 1953. It went home with me.

dragon813gt
08-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Part of the appeal to PA hunters is quick follow up shots. Semis are illegal for hunting here. I have no issues w/ this law. The woods are densely packed w/ people during rifle season and it sounds like a war zone. Give one of the idiots a 30 round magazine and it would make it even worse. Most "hunters" are anything but and they shoot at anything that moves. Lots of dogs and cattle shot every year :(

John Boy
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Vintage 1966 - 308 Win
Last deer shooting it - 286yds, one shot - went down where it stood

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 08:42 PM
I always thought 760 was built to be sold to hunters who already had pump shotguns.

I took my first deer with my Dad's 760 in .300 Savage. He traded it off a long time ago. A little while back I was in my local Cabela's and found a 760 in .300 Savage, exterior refinished but the bore looked new, built in 1953. It went home with me.

people who own 870s seem to love them, maybe it was a sales gig with remington

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Part of the appeal to PA hunters is quick follow up shots. Semis are illegal for hunting here. I have no issues w/ this law. The woods are densely packed w/ people during rifle season and it sounds like a war zone. Give one of the idiots a 30 round magazine and it would make it even worse. Most "hunters" are anything but and they shoot at anything that moves. Lots of dogs and cattle shot every year :(

i couldnt agree more... its like archery, make the first shot count...

rking22
08-25-2015, 08:49 PM
"I always thought 760 was built to be sold to hunters who already had pump shotguns."

My 300Savage feels just like a 28ga 870, which just happens to be one of my favorite upland hunting companions! So yes I have it because I like pumpguns. I have the long barreled custom because they shoot way better than people think, and it's just different enough to be "neat" :)

High Desert Hunter
08-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Mine loves the Lee 200gr RNGC bullet, stacks them one on top of the other, does well with 180gr Sierras too.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 09:37 PM
The neat factor around my area is pretty high. I mention 30_06 pump action and people think I'm joking

nekshot
08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
kinda funny reading the comments, they can be and most are as accurate as bolt action rifles of the 70's. They are extremely fast to shoot and shoot accurately, my only beef with them is they are noisey when working action and rattle alot with movement if you don't hold them just right. They are alot of fun and the spring to catch the clip on some needs alittle tlc to seat properly or they drop out somewhere along the way.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 09:52 PM
kinda funny reading the comments, they can be and most are as accurate as bolt action rifles of the 70's. They are extremely fast to shoot and shoot accurately, my only beef with them is they are noisey when working action and rattle alot with movement if you don't hold them just right. They are alot of fun and the spring to catch the clip on some needs alittle tlc to seat properly or they drop out somewhere along the way.

I do believe that's caused by bad magazines... but don't quote me on that. I know mags are hard to find for these

altheating
08-25-2015, 10:02 PM
The neat factor around my area is pretty high. I mention 30_06 pump action and people think I'm joking
So many people don't even know pump action rifles exist. Kind of sad. The only guns they are acquainted with are AR-15's. And everybody knows you can't kill deer with a 30-06, you need some type of short mag, or super mag this or that. All these yahoos think they are shooting game the size of elephants. Deer are still 150-200 pound critters.

LAKEMASTER
08-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I talk about my 06 to old hunters and they say it's overkill on most deer/hog

I mention hunting to someone my age, and they say "oh yeah we use 7mm magnum for deer and turkey "

I get a headache sometimes talking to those who think equipment substitutes or is equil to skill

altheating
08-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Yup, if you can't hit them with gun you have, get a bigger gun to make up for your lack of shooting skills instead of practicing with something with less recoil. I know a guy who bought a 338 Laupa for whitetail deer. I asked him how far his shots were on the farm he hunted. He responded "under a hundred yards". I just shook my head and walked away.

OnHoPr
08-25-2015, 11:25 PM
They are alot of fun and the spring to catch the clip on some needs alittle tlc to seat properly or they drop out somewhere along the way.

That reminded me of an opening day about 30 years ago. After a big last night supper and pretty good size breakfast about 11:00 am the couple cups of joe in the blind finally started working. So, I went down and on the other side of the ridge to dig a hole a couple hundred yards . Back in 2 miles there really isn't many proper facilities. On the way back to my blind when I got about 60 yd away from it I seen a deer about 25 yd in front of it. I pulled up and scoped it and it was a spike, well it didn't take long for a boom. The deer spun around over a 180 degrees and was down with a couple of kicks. Then I noticed deer taking off from behind it which was about 70 in front of my log blind. I rack another shell in and there were more horns (little rack) in the scope. The crosshairs hit way front center mass hair and click. I looked at what the heck and there was the new clip I had just got for the 760 on the ground by my boot. The new clip had to have that little slap in, not like the original which work smoothly. The venison was tasty, just too bad there wasn't more of it.:groner:

Those 760 06s are like Zeus in the whitetail woods and most likely any north american hunting scenario.

Teddy (punchie)
08-26-2015, 12:50 AM
As to the speed shooting. All I can say about shooting more then once. Last nice deer a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 old 10 point. He knew what he was doing, on a fast trot he was heading away at 125 yds. and I worked the old bolt like I do fast and accurate. I ended up hitting him 3 out of four shots and he traveled some 150 yds. across a wooded/field mix hill, in brush. Buddy of mine as we studied the hillside and deer, seen that he was hit and just keep going and not down or showing any sign of being hit. As we walked he asked where I was sitting, he said he would not have believed that those shots could have been made in that brush. We would have just looked and watched him run through and said there went a nice buck. Not everyone shoots to just make noise, I try to make every shot count.

tim338
08-26-2015, 09:29 AM
I have one in 35 Remington my Dad bought me for my first deer rifle back in 1981. It was made in 1954 and was new in the box! I shot my first buck with it and it is my most prized possession. It is also very accurate shooting sub 1" groups at a 100 yards with cast or jacketed bullets.

rr2241tx
08-26-2015, 11:28 AM
This 35 Remington chambered Remington 141 came to me practically unused. The loading gate still has full case colors. Barrel date is March 1950, so would have been the last official year of production. Spiraled tube magazine was to allow use of spitzer bullets. No magazine to drop. I've never used the Marbles tang sight, but it is plenty accurate offhand to hit 5/5 on a 1/5th size pig silhouette at 100 yards using the barrel sights. Trigger is typical, you could hang it on a nail by the trigger without shooting yourself but breaks clean. Rattles when operating but locked up it is completely solid. It loves Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

nekshot
08-26-2015, 03:08 PM
I do believe that's caused by bad magazines... but don't quote me on that. I know mags are hard to find for these

not to beat a dead horse but we always thought it was the clip also then after I pulled the trigger groub I saw there is a little ledge or something for the spring I think (I have a thread here somewhere about this problem) anyhow I reassembled making sure all was in correct place and clips went in like butter and locked in place without wacking the clip bottom. I hunted with abunch of fellas in pa and all had 760's except for a few of us, I also had one and a bolt and a lever and a...

LAKEMASTER
08-26-2015, 05:55 PM
not to beat a dead horse but we always thought it was the clip also then after I pulled the trigger groub I saw there is a little ledge or something for the spring I think (I have a thread here somewhere about this problem) anyhow I reassembled making sure all was in correct place and clips went in like butter and locked in place without wacking the clip bottom. I hunted with abunch of fellas in pa and all had 760's except for a few of us, I also had one and a bolt and a lever and a...

ill have to find your post. its something i may need to fix in the future.

CJR
08-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Lakemaster,

I own a 760 300 Savage. It's been my meat gun since I was a teenager. The 760 was used in the Olympic Running Deer event and was used by the FBI years ago.

I discovered a safety problem with mine that was easily corrected. Years ago I was hunting alone in a remote hunting camp. On returning to the cabin, I unloaded the 760 and decided to lock it in my car. As the 760 was placed in the car, the muzzle was slightly low for a moment before it was laid flat on the floor. Early next morning, I removed the 760, loaded the mag, pointed the 760 in a safe direction, and chambered a round. Bang! I thought maybe I touched the trigger and racked another round. Bang again! I unloaded the 760 and noticed the firing pin was frozen in a forward position by some residue oil.

When I got back home, I stripped the 760 down and found the firing pin is free-floating and had no hold-back spring like a 1911. Schematics I checked showed no firing pin hold-back springs. I sent a letter to Remington and got no answer. I was able to fit a firing pin hold-back spring, check it at the range and all is well.

Apparently, when I placed the 760 in my car in the camp, muzzle low, the firing pin stayed forward and the residual oil + cold temps froze the firing pin in a forward position and caused my problem. I might have used a 1911 firing pin spring for this simple fix. Likewise, I found out that oils for low temps sometimes don't work. Hope this helps someone avoid what happened with me.

Best regards,

CJR

LAKEMASTER
08-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Lakemaster,

I own a 760 300 Savage. It's been my meat gun since I was a teenager. The 760 was used in the Olympic Running Deer event and was used by the FBI years ago.

I discovered a safety problem with mine that was easily corrected. Years ago I was hunting alone in a remote hunting camp. On returning to the cabin, I unloaded the 760 and decided to lock it in my car. As the 760 was placed in the car, the muzzle was slightly low for a moment before it was laid flat on the floor. Early next morning, I removed the 760, loaded the mag, pointed the 760 in a safe direction, and chambered a round. Bang! I thought maybe I touched the trigger and racked another round. Bang again! I unloaded the 760 and noticed the firing pin was frozen in a forward position by some residue oil.

When I got back home, I stripped the 760 down and found the firing pin is free-floating and had no hold-back spring like a 1911. Schematics I checked showed no firing pin hold-back springs. I sent a letter to Remington and got no answer. I was able to fit a firing pin hold-back spring, check it at the range and all is well.

Apparently, when I placed the 760 in my car in the camp, muzzle low, the firing pin stayed forward and the residual oil + cold temps froze the firing pin in a forward position and caused my problem. I might have used a 1911 firing pin spring for this simple fix. Likewise, I found out that oils for low temps sometimes don't work. Hope this helps someone avoid what happened with me.

Best regards,

CJR

you guys will probably laugh, but this guy from my work is a guide in alaska and he told me the best lube for freezing temps ( from his experience of exposed guns to the elements/snowmobiles ect) is a full synthetic 0w20 engine oil.

and he uses another type of oil in the barrel but i wont say for fear of continuous laughing

dubber123
09-04-2015, 08:35 PM
you guys will probably laugh, but this guy from my work is a guide in alaska and he told me the best lube for freezing temps ( from his experience of exposed guns to the elements/snowmobiles ect) is a full synthetic 0w20 engine oil.

and he uses another type of oil in the barrel but i wont say for fear of continuous laughing

My brother and I have been using 0W-20 Mobil 1 sythetic motor oil on our guns for at least 10 years. Works great in all temps, and you get a full quart for about $6. Doesn't gum up or dry out like some oils either.

JohnH
09-04-2015, 09:55 PM

and he uses another type of oil in the barrel but i wont say for fear of continuous laughing Could be something to that. I prefer oils for refrigeration. These oils are wax free and don't turn to sludge when temps hit freezing or below.

guywitha3006
09-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I have a Remington model 76, I believe the precursor to the 760/7600. I bought it when I was 13 (ok I paid for half and dad paid for the other half for birthday and Christmas.). The gun is decades older than I am but still shoot like a champ... 180 grain CoreLokt and I haven't had a runner yet. :bigsmyl2:

gunauthor
09-17-2015, 03:51 PM
I bought a model 7600 in 30-06 for deer hunting in Missouri (Indiana law prohibits the use of this caliber) and it's more accurate than I can shoot it. The trigger isn't great (too heavy) but Timney makes a trigger kit which helps quite a bit. And I also use synthetic car oil (Royal Purple), EVERYTHING runs much more smoothly than with standard gun oils.

pietro
09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
I have a Remington model 76, I believe the precursor to the 760/7600. I bought it when I was 13 (ok I paid for half and dad paid for the other half for birthday and Christmas.). The gun is decades older than I am but still shoot like a champ... 180 grain CoreLokt and I haven't had a runner yet. :bigsmyl2:

AFAIK, the Model 76 was introduced after the Model 7600, when Remington introduced economy versions of their main line rifles (Model Four/M-7400/M-74 autoloaders, Model Six/M-7600/M-76 pumps, and the Model 700/78 bolt-actions).

IIRC, the econo-versions were "Sportsman" Model 74's, 76's & 78's.

guywitha3006
09-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Pietro I did not know that... I learned my something new for the day, I thought it was simple progression 76-760-7600. Although that would explain why my Dad's 760 is such more elegant than my bright yellow looking stock. I guess it is only 3-5 years older than me! Ugly and all, she still shoots, one of these days I will strip that horrible yellow off and restain it so I don't have to wear sunglasses to look at it!

AFAIK, the Model 76 was introduced after the Model 7600, when Remington introduced economy versions of their main line rifles (M-7400/M-74 autoloader, M-7600/76 pump, and the Model 700/78 bolt-action).

IIRC, the econo-versions were "Sportsman" Model 74's, 76's & 78's.

azrednek
09-17-2015, 07:09 PM
one of these days I will strip that horrible yellow off and restain it so I don't have to wear sunglasses to look at it!

The young guy I traded my 760 to re-finished the wood and metal and installed a scope and new recoil pad. He made it look new and made me regret trading it.

guywitha3006
09-18-2015, 09:16 AM
The young guy I traded my 760 to re-finished the wood and metal and installed a scope and new recoil pad. He made it look new and made me regret trading it.

My metal is actually still in pretty good condition. It is that awful bright yellow stain that kills me... and I think the scope that came with the package (original bushmaster? haven't looked at it in a while) died last year or the year before... wouldn't sight in. 25+ years on a scope I think it served an honorable life lol.

Motor
09-19-2015, 01:23 AM

I don't know if this is true but back when I was much younger I heard that more 760s were sold in PA than everywhere else combined.

We (I was born and raised in SW Pa) speaking as a PA resident used to feild 1 million hunters on the opening day of buck season.

Motor

El Bango
09-23-2015, 12:46 AM
They're not real popular here in long range country but I inherited one (30-06)from my uncle who was an avid elk hunter and it was his favorite for hunting the oak brush. I see why, no scope just factory iron sights,very fast handling, I really like it and it always goes to hunting camp with me and will occasionally go out in the brush also.I think old Unk likes it.

DRSLYR
09-27-2015, 09:44 PM
I have my Dad's 1953 Model 760 Remington in .30-06. I killed my first deer in 1969 with it, and thru the years, both of my sons have killed their first deer with it. My grandson will be 4 in November and I hope I'm still around so he can kill his first deer with it. For many years it wore a Weaver K2.5X, which finally fogged up & was replaced with a Weaver K4X. Still a great rifle, the trigger pull is still heavy.

DRSLYR

OnHoPr
09-27-2015, 10:39 PM
I have my Dad's 1953 Model 760 Remington in .30-06. I killed my first deer in 1969 with it, and thru the years, both of my sons have killed their first deer with it. My grandson will be 4 in November and I hope I'm still around so he can kill his first deer with it. For many years it wore a Weaver K2.5X, which finally fogged up & was replaced with a Weaver K4X. Still a great rifle, the trigger pull is still heavy.

DRSLYR

I have an old steel tube Weaver 1.5 X 4.5 that I got back in the '70s that started fogging up a few years later, but it still functions well when the foggyness isn't acting up. The seal broke is all that I can figure that went wrong with it. I think those old scopes are nostalgically very aesthetic to the old woods rifles as well as to a lot of the mil surp rifles that have been used for deer hunting for the last 75 years. I was thinking about putting it on my 94 winny a few years back, so I looked around and found a company that would rebuild it and re nitrogen with a new seal if everything of the real internal working parts was fine for about $80. It was close to deer season, so another scope went on it. It is still on the to do inventory list. The only thing is that it is a late winter or spring project to send off instead of the getting ready for deer season in October. I am not sure which or where I put the info for the company, but you might be able to find it or one like it online. I am pretty sure it was located in the southwest somewhere. 80 bucks for a good old scope to be put back in service doesn't seem like a bad deal if you get another 10, 20, or 30 years of service out of it and keep a fine old deer thumper looking like it should.

BwBrown
10-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Let's see... older 760's...
6mm from the 70's cut to 16.25 inches - what a woods gun!
30-06 from the70's
308 from the 60's carbine.
257 Roberts from the 50's carbine - one of my favorite companions.
All Leupold scoped from their respective era, all work well.
Parts can be had from Dixie Gun Works, Numrich, Brownells, and ebay and countless others.

Being left handed, they are quite usable. Lefty bolt actions are relatively scarce.

Lawyerman
10-16-2015, 09:01 AM
I own three old ones- "corn cobs"..... I have a .35 Remington of course, a 30-06 and a .270 that I bought with the intention of sending to JES for a .35 Whelen Rebore. I also own a much later-1970's vintage, .308. Fine rifles and loaded properly they will shoot with most of the bolt guns of their respective eras. Most will do 2" with ammo they like...How much better do you need to shoot? That's 10" at 500 yards...do most of you REALLY kill game at 500 yards on a regular basis? Call me skeptical......

typz2slo
01-05-2016, 01:19 AM
I have a bi-centenial commemorative issue in 3006. Havent had it out in a while but I may have to cast a few for it and see how it does.

Fishman
01-05-2016, 07:44 AM
I have one that I sighted in for a friend's son to use on a hunt this year. It's well used with an old weaver 4x on it. It sighted in easily and shot a nice group with Remington 150's. I didn't have time to develop a cast load for it. Anyway, his son has an 870, so the controls on the 760 were very similar, and that is a good thing. He ended up taking a very large mature doe. I'm thinking a cast load is next.

southpaw
01-05-2016, 10:37 AM
I have a few in 3006 and one in 35 rem. The 35 was second year production (53?). One of the older 06's shoots very good with 150gr spt's. I was surprised to see groups under 1.5" with an old 4x weaver wide view on it. The 35 has the old flip over mount on it. It wasn't giving me real good groups so I was going to take the mount off, then realized that some sob use lock tite on it. A project for another day I suppose.

Jerry Jr.

pietro
01-05-2016, 07:37 PM

My .35 Remington pumpgun was made in 1937 - alas, it's a Model 141.............. :mrgreen:

Uncle R.
01-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I've never owned a 760 but I've shot a bunch of 'em.
Certainly dozens, maybe even a hundred or more.
Most were reasonably accurate. (2 MOA isn't at all surprising if you feed it something it likes.)

I think they're heavy for their size, but they come up nicely and point well. I don't mind a little extra weight but if I had my druthers I'd prefer to have that extra weight in the barrel. Not a big deal.
The action has very little camming power or primary extraction but that can be allowed for by full-length sizing or even small base sizing if needed, and using moderate loads with tough brass.
The worst feature is the shotgun-like trigger, but a little touching up with stones can make them at least shootable.

Overall I think they're kinda neat and would certainly make a fine woods rifle for deer hunting. In .30-06 or .308 or .280 or .300 they also have the ability to stretch out to 250 yards or even more when needed. Very cool.
I don't think of them as an expert's rifle, but more of a Bubba's deer rifle. They serve very well in that role though, and if I couldn't use my beloved bolt actions for hunting I'd choose a scoped 760 over a lever gun any day of the week.
(So why do I own so many lever guns? <GRIN>)

I wish I had at least one 760 in my safe. If I ran across one for a bargain price I'd snap it up. It doesn't seem to happen much around here though. I suppose people hang onto them because they like 'em for hunting our Wisconsin Whitetails.

Uncle R.

mike69
01-05-2016, 11:41 PM
My dad has my grand fathers in 243 its vary accurate with a 100gr sierra bullet works vary well for deer hunting.

Wolfer
01-06-2016, 12:05 AM
I have a 30-06 from first year of production. For 30 years it was my favorite rifle and I'm still pretty partial to it. Neither me or it ever liked heavy loads. The Sierra 165 gameking pushed to 2550 would shoot tighter groups than my weatherby vanguard.

I never got blood that I didn't get the deer. Of course I could say the same for most of my rifles. I've always found this gun and caliber to be extremely reliable.

It a dedicated cast gun now. 311041 at 1800 fps. Both of us like it very well. Some careful stone work did wonders for the trigger.

Tip. In really cold weather chain saw gas is a pretty good bolt/action lubricant. Leaves enough oil to be slick and protected but not enough to freeze up.

pietro
01-06-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't know if this is true but back when I was much younger I heard that more 760s were sold in PA than everywhere else combined.

Pump & lever action rifles were the PA repeaters of choice, since centerfire autoloaders were verboten (forbidden by PA game laws), at least for deer/bear hunting.

26Charlie
01-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Back in ought-five, I bought (another) one and started working up loads for it .270 Winchester. Here's the link -
Bad case of GAS - Gun Acquisition Syndrome (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3394-Bad-case-of-GAS-Gun-Acquisition-Syndrome)Both the .300 Sav and the .270 Win are accurate as bolt guns - hunting style, same era - as far as I'm concerned.

Motor
01-16-2016, 11:57 AM
I forgot to mention this in my last post. Something for you all to droll over.

My friend has a 760 in .223 Rem. caliber. :mrgreen:

jules
01-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Had one in 3006 when I lived in Newell Pa. Early 70s model. Cost me $159. at Kmart. If I remember correctly calibers were 308,3006, 270,243,35. I think they also had the 742 but could not be used to hunt with in Pa. I liked it so much I bought a BDL stock set for almost as much as I paid for the rifle. It shot moa with Rem. 150gr and Fed. 150gr and with just about everything I reloaded for it. Kicked like a mule. I ended up selling it a couple years ago.

onceabull
01-16-2016, 01:54 PM
AS mentioned prev.here. there is good reason for the Rem.760 series to also be known as "the Amish machine gun'..Talking brush guns & elk hunting I have two rebored 760's(both by Jesse O.) one's a 9.3x62,which I got to eventually replace the first he did,reboring a beater 30/06 in a snow camo stock to 35 whelen( Cheaper alternative at that time than finding a factory example in 35 W.) Highly recommend either for elk hunting in the stick timber and windfalls. Onceabull

barney67
01-21-2016, 03:47 PM
I forgot to mention this in my last post. Something for you all to droll over.

My friend has a 760 in .223 Rem. caliber. :mrgreen:

I've got one of those. 1968 I believe.:Fire:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/bbarney67/Forum2/288rss_zpshghbspza.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/bbarney67/media/Forum2/288rss_zpshghbspza.jpg.html)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g270/bbarney67/Forum2/309rss_zpsr4h34fyt.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/bbarney67/media/Forum2/309rss_zpsr4h34fyt.jpg.html)

376Steyr
01-21-2016, 04:20 PM
A few years ago Remington made a .223 760-type that would accept AR15 magazines, I don't remember if it used the 760 Model number. It was aimed towards law enforcement agencies that didn't want to deal with the negative aspects of having ARs in patrol cars. It didn't last too long.

izzyjoe
01-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Remington made the 7615, that uses AR style mags, but they went over like a lead balloon, cause for the same money you can have an AR, but anyway I have an 760 270 adl made in '56, it came with a k4 weaver, and tip off mounts that I plan to replace, it's a pretty accurate rifle, with 130 cl's it will shoot 1.75 groups, but that's all I've tried in it. Maybe when it warms up I may try some 150's, and a better scope!

texasnative46
11-28-2016, 04:30 PM
onceabull et. al.,

Glad to hear that there are other "760 addicts" out there in CB-land. = I have 5 of them from .244REM to my treasured 9.3x62mm Mauser, that was rebored by JES.
(My 9.3x62mm wears a circa-1970 Redfield 2.75X scope with "post & line" Euro reticle, in old-school Redfield rings.)

Addenda: I've just "acquired" another .30-06 Model 760 (with a "very tired bore"), that I'll soon send to JES to rebore to .400 Hawk for the old .405WCF GCCB.

Now if I could just find an "all black" Model 7615 in 5.56NATO with the "supplied" 10/15/20 round LE magazines, I would be a HAPPY CAMPER.

yours, tex

ScotMc
11-29-2016, 10:34 AM
I have 3 760s. 2 are 06. One is last version of the 760 before the 7600. The other is 1966 Centennial model. Both shoot 1/2 in groups with 48 grains of IMR 4064, CCI 200 primer and a 165 Sierra spritzer boat tail. Also is good load in my buddies 742 game master. The other is a 50's era 270. Its pretty much a safe queen. I have killed a lot of deer with my 760. Have always used a heavier caliber for elk. The 760 is a great brush gun.

texasnative46
11-29-2016, 05:20 PM
ScotMc,

Fwiw, several members of my family are shooting .30-06 rifles using my reloaded ammo. (We "East Texas hillbillies" are way too cheap to shoot factory ammo at over a buck each in our swampy/brushy hunting area.) = My "pet load" for hogs/WT/"similar sized critters" is a 180 grain GCCB bullet in front of 42 grains of IMR4350 at about 2200FPS.
That load is a ".30-40 Krag equivalent" & it chambers/shoots/ejects FINE & kills CLEANLY in every "ought-six rifle" in our family. = Imo, that mild load is SUPERIOR in every way to a .30-30 round (which is the other "usual deer rifle" in our area of TX) in every way out to 200M plus.
(The same load works fine in my 1954-era Model 760 in .300 Savage, btw.)

yours, tex

texasnative46
01-09-2017, 01:03 AM
onceabull; All,

I talked to TWO "760 addicts" this afternoon. = What all of us "TX 760 addicts" have in common is that we are southpaws.

yours, tex