PDA

View Full Version : 50 bmg

kweidner
08-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I have spent a bit of time this morning searching on a cast boolits and the 50 BMG. I have exhausted the resources here and haven't had much luck. I am planning on possibly getting the 650gr NOE offering sans gas check Hy-Tek coated and running reduced loads for those that want to shoot this thing. Most often when I pull it out people want to try it. I usually let them but most rookies on the big 50 flinch all over the place and its a wasted $4. I have the Noreen ULR bolt gun. I found a load over on ar-15 IIRC of a guy using Red dot at 33.5 grains at 952 FPS using a jacketed bullet. Anyone have any luck with the 50 BMG and cast. I figure for Plinking, I could get the reloaded cost down around $0.89 a round. I would recover the boolits so really around .50 a round.

What other powders with this boolit?

Anyone tried this?

I have seen many a discussion and know both Tom at accurate and NOE have sold a good many molds. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

kweidner
08-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Anyone? I would be interested in success and failures. Just trying to get a starting point.

BK7saum
08-25-2015, 08:21 AM
I had this tagged as well. I am not working on a bmg but a smaller 50 and definitely interested in cast Boolits that would work for me as well.

Brad

Rustyleee
08-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Try Veral Smith at LBTmolds.

rockrat
08-31-2015, 07:31 PM
Don't know about RD, but Trail Boss worked well in my reduced loads. Pushed the NOE, gc version, to about 1,600fps with excellent accuracy. Could only get to about 2200fps trying to go full power loads with other powders. Starting to lose gas checks and getting gas cutting of the boolit, but that is the was the throat was.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/004.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/004.jpg.html)

stubby1
09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
I have spent a bit of time this morning searching on a cast boolits and the 50 BMG. I have exhausted the resources here and haven't had much luck. I am planning on possibly getting the 650gr NOE offering sans gas check Hy-Tek coated and running reduced loads for those that want to shoot this thing. Most often when I pull it out people want to try it. I usually let them but most rookies on the big 50 flinch all over the place and its a wasted $4. I have the Noreen ULR bolt gun. I found a load over on ar-15 IIRC of a guy using Red dot at 33.5 grains at 952 FPS using a jacketed bullet. Anyone have any luck with the 50 BMG and cast. I figure for Plinking, I could get the reloaded cost down around $0.89 a round. I would recover the boolits so really around .50 a round.

What other powders with this boolit?

Anyone tried this?

I have seen many a discussion and know both Tom at accurate and NOE have sold a good many molds. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I am seeking similar info for a 500A2 w/ 600 gr gas checked boolits using 5744 powder (as trailboss is nowhere to be found in my area) - does anyone know of a formula for determining 5744 loads with casts ?

kweidner
09-02-2015, 04:05 AM
Now this is what I'm talking about!

Don't know about RD, but Trail Boss worked well in my reduced loads. Pushed the NOE, gc version, to about 1,600fps with excellent accuracy. Could only get to about 2200fps trying to go full power loads with other powders. Starting to lose gas checks and getting gas cutting of the boolit, but that is the was the throat was.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/004.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Bigdog337/media/004.jpg.html)

rondog
09-02-2015, 04:18 AM
Can't help you, but good on ya for letting others shoot your .50! A feller let me shoot three rounds with his AR-50 once, and I'll never forget it.

I had virtually no experience with rifles other than .22's, and never at long range. The target was a 1"x 18"x18" steel plate at 600 yards with AP ammo, and I hit it all 3 times. Still can't believe it, but that rifle was dead steady and solid as a rock.

I'm surprised to hear you can shoot lead boolits in .50BMG though, I figured it was just too big and powerful.