PDA

View Full Version : Window weights

novalty
08-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Been putting feeler out to try to scrounge up some more lead. Friend of my father's sent over a 2 gallon pail of old window weights, found it sitting inside my garage this morning. Told them if I could use them, I'd get them some money. Didn't really get a good chance to check them over yet, but noticed number on one end and they are very heavy. My biggest concern at first sight was orange coloring--but not sure if the bucket was sitting outside. What's the best way to rule out cast iron and steel--hammer, magnet?

nagantguy
08-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Hammer and magnet work, so does the old thumb nail test, iron won't scratch with a thumb nail. I scored a large box of old window counter weights a year or so ago, they were painted some blue some red, they were on the soft side, I cut them in half they were about a foot long and cylinder shaped, threw them in the pot and let the paint melt off and act as its own flux. Can't recall the melting temp of cast iron off the top of my noodle, but it's higher than lead so melt one and see

bangerjim
08-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Most window weights I have ever seen are CI.

Test with a magnet B4 wasting time and fuel!!!!!!

novalty
08-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks nagantguy, read through posts on this forum. From what I can tell if I am lucky enough to have lead window weights, the alloy I guess is typically soft. Only had a couple seconds on my way out the door this morning to look at them. They were maybe 10" long and about 2" thick, just guessing weight around 10# a piece. Eager to determine what they really are this evening.

Black Beard
08-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Check on prices before you melt them. They might be worth a more than the scrap lead value.

Jeff Michel
08-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Having replaced hundreds of windows over the years I have never seen one made of lead. Sash weights are cast iron, chilled to make them even more worthless. If you are in an area with boat houses, the boat owners use them to make auto adjusters for the tie off ropes, forward and aft at four places to alleviate having to shorten/lengthen the mooring lines. That where mine go after remodeling a house.

odinohi
08-24-2015, 11:30 AM
I had quite a few of them a few years ago. Nice, soft, clean stuff. Drop one on the concrete. The sound will tell you the truth

novalty
08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Spoke with the person that gave them to me, and they said they have been sitting outside for a number of years. They said they didn't want them back, so I told them that if they are useable lead--then I'd sent them money. Otherwise they will probably go in my father's scrap pile. With the price of cast iron being so low, it wouldn't be worth the drive to the salvage yard.

baogongmeo
08-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Spoke with the person that gave them to me, and they said they have been sitting outside for a number of years. They said they didn't want them back, so I told them that if they are useable lead--then I'd sent them money. Otherwise they will probably go in my father's scrap pile. With the price of cast iron being so low, it wouldn't be worth the drive to the salvage yard.

If you know any trappers they would probably like to have them.

Garyshome
08-24-2015, 02:12 PM
I have never seen a Lead window weight, and I have seen quite a few of them.

novalty
08-24-2015, 03:06 PM
I have never seen a Lead window weight, and I have seen quite a few of them.

I will post some pictures if they turn out to be lead.

richhodg66
08-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Never seen any except iron ones, they make good trot line weights I'm told.

jeepyj
08-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Years ago in during the window boom in my area I had several crews doing vinyl replacement windows and not once was there anything except cast iron. I believe that some folks sometimes mistake Linotype bars for window weights. For your sake hopefully in your area they used lead instead of cast iron. Good luck!
jeepyj

rtracy2001
08-24-2015, 06:42 PM
The window weights at the farmhouse in Milo were lead. However, in 1820 when Maine became a state, the deed description was "The OLD farmhouse on the hill." Maybe that house is older than most.

novalty
08-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Well I now have about 60# of cast iron window weights in my garage. Hit all with hammer and they rang.

bangerjim
08-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, but we all pretty much already knew what you had. :violin:

Better luck next time.

Pipefitter
08-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Canoe anchors.......not heavy enough to hold a rowboat in any kind of wind or current.

novalty
08-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Well at least the price was right :)

melloairman
08-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I tie mine on to my gopher traps . That way when I catch a gopher and the cats smell them they have to eat at the trap site and I am not out a trap .Marvin

lightman
08-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Well, sorry to hear this. I have heard about lead window weights but have never seen any. Was hoping for the best for you. Networking works, keep on asking and you will score. Was a nice shot anyway!

Hardcast416taylor
08-25-2015, 11:01 PM
The house my Father built back in 1918 had all the window weights lead. I know this as I helped re-hab the windows back in the `70`s. I bought 4 weights online from a collector that claimed them to be lead, were just black painted iron.Robert

xacex
08-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Canoe anchors.......not heavy enough to hold a rowboat in any kind of wind or current.
That what I use them for. Anchors for kayak fishing.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 06:53 AM
Well that sucks

novalty
08-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Did find a somewhat local guy (2+ hours away) selling sailboat ballast but price is higher than I want to pay with the added cost of fuel to pick it up. Hopefully continued inquiries locally will result in a new source.

Lefty bullseye shooter
08-26-2015, 09:22 PM
I have been a carpenter for over 30 years starting with my dad when I was 10 years old. I have replaced hundreds if not thousands of windows. I have only run into lead window weights once. They were triple windows with only about 2 inches between. 2 windows shared 1 weight and to get the weight heavy enough to operate 2 windows they used lead. This was before I was a caster and sold it to the BP guys.
Scott

RogerDat
08-28-2015, 11:36 PM
Sooner or later you might be wanting to make a run to the scrap yard to buy some lead, when that happens take the scrap iron or aluminum or copper you have hanging around with you. You sell some stuff you don't need and buy some stuff you do. If you are going there anyway after lead might as well.

Or just a thought check around for a place that sells reclaimed house material. Worth a phone call. Some specialize in the older stuff needed to repair old or historic houses. Might pay you more than the scrap yard.

country gent
08-28-2015, 11:56 PM
But just think of the anticipation and excitement all day waiting to get home and see what they really were. I have seen lead window wieghts Dads farm house had some in the old section, that appeared to be sand cast by the finish on them. Probably made by the builders as needed. Lead can be found alot of places some older construction equipments counter wieghts were lead, sail boat keels, power wire joints and splices. machine bearings, type, even some early auto body work was lead / solder.Pipes were lead, lead was used in sheets for sealing wet areas. Keep looking its out there.

trapper9260
08-29-2015, 06:39 AM
All the ones i got are cast and I use them for trapping.I have not seen any out of lead.