PDA

View Full Version : Yard was full of deer most of yeasterday.

44man
08-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Seen a bunch when I took the little dog out, crossing my yard every which way. Later in the day there were two 6 point bucks under the pear tree, they left and a few doe came in.
Then Bandit, the coon came on the deck after dark. Carol always has cat food there for our cat. Bandit comes every night and my dog lays across mys leg at dark to watch for him at the door. She goes nuts.
The cat was sleeping on a chair and I seen her open her eyes a slit to watch Bandit and when he left he walked under her chair. They didn't bother each other.

labradigger1
08-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Been having about 7 deer in the yard all day long recently. They are picking up apples as they fall.
I had some raccoons in the chicken coop.

quilbilly
08-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Sounds like Bandit has learned deck etiquette.

Ihsarah
08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Fantastic, I wish I lived a little more rural. I'm a country boy living the suburban lifestyle so I miss being able to nature watch from my own back porch.

DougGuy
08-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Coons in the chicken coop? Coons with an s? Not good.

Jim: Your deer are practicing the "Sunday taunt before hunting season" that they do in Virginia. They have it down. You will see them in your yard, in the fields, alongside the road, but come first day of general firearms season? Not a Bambi to be seen ANYWHERE! I think they get an antlergram from the state telling them when opening day is.

Beagle333
08-24-2015, 12:43 PM
So true Doug! I have deer in the yard, and they'll wander around there and keep trying to lick birdseed out of my feeders and then on opening day...... only tracks to remind me that deer even exist.

bgokk
08-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Painting on the deck today and my wife (as i moved the ladder) said "You just ran off the fawns." We have had 2 fawns, both with spots in the yard for the last few days.

daniel lawecki
08-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Deer here in NW Ohio are already changing their patterns some. As the days grow shorter the weather cools and the corn and soybeans nears harvest the brain in the deer turn another corner and hunting begins. What was once easy becomes harder and harder so that pictures and enjoy for in some states they will become ghost.

kbstenberg
08-24-2015, 07:55 PM
I have about the same thing only with Canadian Geese. Every evening flying over the house well within range. An every year the day before open late summer season they totally disappear.

winelover
08-25-2015, 07:00 AM
I have a 9, 8, 7 & 6 point, that hang out together.

147440 147441 147442 147443

Winelover

waynem34
08-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Looks like one deer.

waynem34
08-25-2015, 07:28 AM
I see now.

JonnyReb
08-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Is a strange year here in N.C. The deer are still in summer mode meaning they're out in the open and hanging out in the garden..funny thing is that we've seen 2 swolt up like they're about to birth twins. The turkey have poults still following them around..seems unusually late in the season for all the young to be born.

Hawks Feather
08-25-2015, 09:04 AM
As Daniel said the deer suddenly changed here. Wife and I came back from IN yesterday evening and we would normally see at least a dozen. This trip - not one.

44man
08-25-2015, 09:51 AM
They will change with the food, They start on our mulberries first, then the little pears start to drop and then apples, once gone, they will go up to the farms.
After the corn is cut and it gets late in the year, the Osage apples will sweeten.
I don't know what the nut crop will be this year. I have watched deer eat Hickory nuts too. You can hear them crunch for 100 yards!
Deer movement changes time every day and is why you don't see them all the time.
Doe season is in one of those time swings when you can't find one.
I watched 5 doe one season go by, buck season. They were there at 10, then 9:30, then 9 and so on until doe season opened and they were already past and bedded before daylight.

John Allen
08-25-2015, 09:56 AM
we have a 4 point hanging on the side of our property most days. I am sure he will disappear once hunting season opens.

white eagle
08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
saw 5 doe the other evening in my field
seems they like my cut grass
seeing green acorns on ground lots of oaks

Beagle333
08-25-2015, 02:20 PM
we have a 4 point hanging on the side of our property most days. I am sure he will disappear once hunting season opens.

One way or another! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/bbq.gif

michael30.06
08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Love Tis thread, keep the pictures coming.

Mitch
08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
DougGuy
the thing I notice about deer gun season is a lot of people give the signal the weekend before season starts.they are all out siteing in there guns.i am sure this goes on most places.

Daniel we are not far apart napoleon is where i am

waynem34
08-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Is a strange year here in N.C. The deer are still in summer mode meaning they're out in the open and hanging out in the garden..funny thing is that we've seen 2 swolt up like they're about to birth twins. The turkey have poults still following them around..seems unusually late in the season for all the young to be born.

Yep seen a flock of turkey five hense with each 5 or 6 chicks seen deer fawns like no bodyies bees wax

DougGuy
08-25-2015, 11:29 PM
DougGuy
the thing I notice about deer gun season is a lot of people give the signal the weekend before season starts.they are all out siteing in there guns.i am sure this goes on most places.

Oh I am sure!

44man
08-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Gunshots do not scare deer. Only bullets hitting close or the sonic boom as they pass. I was sighting my .54 ML one day in season (changed sights.) I just touched it off and a herd walked past. I could not load fast enough before they were in the thick.
I have shot a rifle at 100 for a few hours and decided to try 200. I walked back and a herd jumped up behind my 200 yard bench, they were bedded all the time I was shooting.
Lately we can shoot 2 a day so I would drop one with the boomer revolver and in minutes another would go down.
Don't worry about shots, you can shoot a fox and in a minute have a deer there.
A noisy compound bow will scare deer faster then a gun, something to do with frequency.
I have shot too many deer with others with it and they never ran off after mine was down. I busted a big doe once out of a herd, she dropped and the rest bedded not far from her.
Shoot all you want.

AllanD
08-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Sunday at the rifle range there was a mixed group of deer wandering around on the rifle range
without a care between the 100yard target stands and the 200 yard line.

My sending half a dozen 165gr from a 30-06 over their heads on the way to the steel plate at 300yd
line didn't seem to bother them a bit...

I put bruised apples on my patio and the deer will actually leave nose prints on the sliding door when they eat them all
telling me I need to put more out.

Should I desire to do so I could have killed one last week with a ball-peen hammer...

Out at my brother's several years back my first "meeting" with an antelope was close
enough I could have bit it's lip, I was bent over changing out the brake pads on my truck
when I had a sudden cold sensation in the small of my back I had backed into it's nose, I
turned around to find myself nose-to-nose with the curious "Speed goat".

I said out loud "this is not a petting zoo!" and it ambled off...

AD

Grendel99
08-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Gunshots do not scare deer...

Apparently deer in your neck of the woods are different than mine. Most of the time around here, if you shoot they haul ***. I've missed a deer before that was in a small group with a couple other deer and they all scattered at full throttle in every direction at the shot. I knew I missed because the deer I was aiming at ran 50 yards, stopped to look around for a few seconds and then took off. I've also had deer become skittish and walk or run off slowly when they heard a shot off in the distance. Then again I've also had experiences where they just stood there looking around after the shot or would run off but then come back. But I have very very rarely ever seen a deer just ignore or not care about the shot. Just my personal experience.

AllanD
08-28-2015, 01:56 PM
I think Deer living next to a rifle range get over their skittishness.

As for that "curious Antelope" I encountered in Wyoming, I think Antelope are just about the
stupidest four legged critter (Other than a democrat) on the continent...

AD

knewmans
08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Red deer are commonly seen on the 1000yd range at Bisley,UK and completely ignore the shooting over their heads. They are in a protected area and breeding well. The danger area is shared with the army range next door and has millions of rounds fired there every year.
http://tinyurl.com/olfq43k

http://tinyurl.com/q7vxwzv
http://tinyurl.com/pe8d6vg
http://tinyurl.com/osb6zga

Elkins45
08-28-2015, 08:32 PM
I took this picture in my yard this week:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/710913e8051de9e039c3ed93286fdd41_zpsp2zhsjm2.jpg

44man
08-29-2015, 08:01 AM
The bucks were back yesterday but ran out of goodies and left before I could get a camera.
Bodies not very big but have high 6 point racks.

4719dave
08-29-2015, 09:33 AM
I SEE YOU ......... Its nice to see the pics here in fl all I see people ..
I took this picture in my yard this week:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/710913e8051de9e039c3ed93286fdd41_zpsp2zhsjm2.jpg