PDA

View Full Version : Police Badges... What's the price?

cainttype
08-23-2015, 11:03 PM
I saw several posts about good cop/bad cop today...
This morning about 30 miles from here a Louisiana State Trooper found a truck stuck in a ditch off a rural area highway. The same truck had reportedly been called in as an erratic driver, possible DUI, by other motorists.
The news conference held minutes ago described reviewing the dash cam and seeing the Trooper politely asking the driver to leave the truck, and he would call a tow truck.
As the driver opened the door, he slid a sawed-off shotgun (loaded with what was described as buckshot) into view, and fired on the officer... A couple of citizens stopped and wrestled the dirt-bag to the ground after seeing him standing near the downed Trooper (the shooter was reported to have a long history with local law enforcement, including several DUIs).
The Trooper is now fighting for his life with wounds to his head.

The officer is reportedly 43, married, and has children.
Many of us are praying for his recovery, and his family.

All occupations have rotten eggs, but not all of them carry the same potential hazards.
It takes a special person with a special dedication to make a GOOD police officer, let's not confuse those with the poor examples.

quickdraw66
08-23-2015, 11:42 PM
This morning about 30 miles from here a Louisiana State Trooper found a truck stuck in a ditch off a rural area highway. The same truck had reportedly been called in as an erratic driver, possible DUI, by other motorists.
The news conference held minutes ago described reviewing the dash cam and seeing the Trooper politely asking the driver to leave the truck, and he would call a tow truck.
As the driver opened the door, he slid a sawed-off shotgun (loaded with what was described as buckshot) into view, and fired on the officer... A couple of citizens stopped and wrestled the dirt-bag to the ground after seeing him standing near the downed Trooper (the shooter was reported to have a long history with local law enforcement, including several DUIs).

All occupations have rotten eggs, but not all of them carry the same potential hazards.
It takes a special person with a special dedication to make a GOOD police officer, let's not confuse those with the poor examples.

I fully agree with you. There are bad cops out there, and there are some supposedly good cops that defend/ignore the bad ones (and I am quick to criticize both), but the overwhelming majority are good and deserve our respect for putting their life on the line like they do.

I hope that officer recovers soon. He needs our prayers.

StolzerandSons
08-24-2015, 01:09 AM
...deserve our respect for putting their life on the line like they do.

I agree they should be given exactly the degree of respect they deserve for putting their life on the line...
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/01/fatal_injuries.png&w=1484
...right behind janitors and grounds keepers.

I do hope the officer in the OP fully recovers, nobody should be injured in their line of work regardless of what it is.

quickdraw66
08-24-2015, 01:24 AM
I agree they should be given exactly the degree of respect they deserve for putting their life on the line...
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/01/fatal_injuries.png&w=1484

I do hope the officer in the OP fully recovers, nobody should be injured in their line of work regardless of what it is.

Last time I checked, grounds keepers, janitors, taxi drivers, roofers, ect do NOT put their life on the line to protect people and stop dangerous criminals. The people who do those other dangerous jobs deserve respect in their own right, but they are not providing the sort of life protecting services LEOs, firefighters, EMTs, and our Nation's Soldiers are. I find your post offensive towards all of these groups. They deserve our utmost respect for what they do and what they risk. :mad:

waynem34
08-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Seen that on the news just awhile ago. Guy may have knew the cop and had intent. I hate to hear about stuff like it, he was super drunk as hammered. I would have killed him if I seen it happen. I also agree every job is dangerous but being a roofer, I probably wouldn't run into a burning building for you .Just saying. YMMV

MrWolf
08-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Prayers for the officer.

fryboy
08-24-2015, 07:05 AM
roofers may not put their life on the line to save you but ... they put their life on the line to keep you and your stuff safe and dry ....geez , nope not a roofer , or at least not since my umm younger days , what i find odd about that graph is the bottom entry ..."All workers" ... how can the sum of all be less than the above ???
as for good cop bad cop threads ...oddly enough and in all fairness bad cop threads are mostly taboo ( mostly ...those that arent seem frowned upon ) i have the thought that if bad cop threads are taboo then by all fairness good cop threads should be taboo too ( after all fair is fair ) there are good officers and there are bad officers , while the sheer number of good ones may in theory be larger than the number of bad ones the ones who allow the bad ones to continue just got moved to the bad officer list - period
i dont know the officer ( nor the dirtbag ) involved in this tragedy but i do know which one has my thoughts and prayers and those who apprehended the scumbag have my gratitude and thanks , because you see without a badge or pay they did put their life on the line to help a fallen LEO ( no matter their occupation )

lightman
08-24-2015, 07:24 AM
I have a lot of respect for the Police and Fire Department. I spent 35 years doing hands on high voltage line work. But, I won't make a traffic stop, put a roof on or run into a burning building for you! My hats off to them.

Walkingwolf
08-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Last time I checked, grounds keepers, janitors, taxi drivers, roofers, ect do NOT put their life on the line to protect people and stop dangerous criminals. The people who do those other dangerous jobs deserve respect in their own right, but they are not providing the sort of life protecting services LEOs, firefighters, EMTs, and our Nation's Soldiers are. I find your post offensive towards all of these groups. They deserve our utmost respect for what they do and what they risk. :mad:

EVERYBODY deserves respect, those workers who lose their life, do it to bring you services that you would have to fend for yourself otherwise. Life would be more miserable without those services, and police could not function without them. Putting one set of communities lives above another set is elitist IMO.

Next time you trip a light switch think about the many linemen who have died to bring you to that conveniance. Also remember that when you need to go to the hospital, that it could not function without those services. Vital services would shut down without the truckdriver, you would suffer illness without a roof over your head. They indeed take risks so you don't have to, and that is putting their lives on the line for YOU.

My son is a lineman, he has risked his life in major storms so people have power, he deserves as much respect as any emergency service worker does.

akajun
08-24-2015, 10:57 AM
While you guys are pissing and moaning over who's job is more dangerous, I just got word that Trooper Vincent has died from his injuries.
May he RIP.

jonp
08-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Dang. RIP Trooper. Sounds to me like the guy either had a grudge against all law enforcement or the trooper personnaly.

LA have the death penalty? I hope so.

BTW: on the good cop bad cop thing. Trooper im talking with about the stolen snowmobile i found is one of yhe nicest guys you could imagine. He is in the same barracks as one i wouldnt save from drowning. Just a nasty, vindictive a*******

ascast
08-24-2015, 11:05 AM
That is too bad, I truly hate to see cops shot down. My regards to his family

akajun
08-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Dang. RIP Trooper. Sounds to me like the guy either had a grudge against all law enforcement or the trooper personnaly.

LA have the death penalty? I hope so.

BTW: on the good cop bad cop thing. Trooper im talking with about the stolen snowmobile i found is one of yhe nicest guys you could imagine. He is in the same barracks as one i wouldnt save from drowning. Just a nasty, vindictive a*******

Yes we do, sadly, the last person we executed was 5 years ago or so, a child molester that killed his stepdaughter. We are caught in the same situation as many states with the anti death penalty lawyers filling suit, and the drugs used. IN fact there are two cop killers that killed officers on my department in the late 80's and early 90's that are still on death row.
As it stands now, the death sentence means you die in prison

starmac
08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Very sad deal, and prayers for the family. It seems odd that he let his guard down for a drunk, maybe he did know the guy. What ever the reason, it is a sad deal, and hope the guy rots and gets some preferable treatment in jail.

captaint
08-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Prayers for the officers full recovery, although I don't know how one recovers from a shotgun blast in the face... We can say what we want about cops. I've never applied for a police job. I know that. Not so much that I'm scared. It's more like I could, in no way, deal with the BS they have to deal with all the time. Not me...

quickdraw66
08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
EVERYBODY deserves respect, those workers who lose their life, do it to bring you services that you would have to fend for yourself otherwise. Life would be more miserable without those services, and police could not function without them. Putting one set of communities lives above another set is elitist IMO.

Next time you trip a light switch think about the many linemen who have died to bring you to that conveniance. Also remember that when you need to go to the hospital, that it could not function without those services. Vital services would shut down without the truckdriver, you would suffer illness without a roof over your head. They indeed take risks so you don't have to, and that is putting their lives on the line for YOU.

My son is a lineman, he has risked his life in major storms so people have power, he deserves as much respect as any emergency service worker does.

I said everyone deserves respect, and I NEVER said someone's life was worth more than another's. Now, do I respect a trooper more than a roofer? Yes I do. The trooper risks his life every day for our safety. The roofer risks his life for a pay check. I have never once heard a roofer say they risk their life to protect us. I give them respect for the hard and dangerous job they do, but its not on the same level as LEOs or EMS or our soldiers.

And yes, I have a dangerous job. I do it for the money because I'm know it is not the same type of service that LEO do.

Walkingwolf
08-24-2015, 02:38 PM
I said everyone deserves respect, and I NEVER said someone's life was worth more than another's. Now, do I respect a trooper more than a roofer? Yes I do. The trooper risks his life every day for our safety. The roofer risks his life for a pay check. I have never once heard a roofer say they risk their life to protect us. I give them respect for the hard and dangerous job they do, but its not on the same level as LEOs or EMS or our soldiers.

And yes, I have a dangerous job. I do it for the money because I'm know it is not the same type of service that LEO do.

The trooper does not get paid? I am shocked! Even burger flippers get paid.

BTW SCOTUS has ruled that a trooper is not responsible for your safety. And most times police show up to take reports. I appreciate their job, but I do everybody's, including the doctors, and nurses that ACTUALLY saved my life. And they could not have done without all those little people.

Police deserve no less, and no more respect that the rest of law abiding society. If they expect more they should get another job.

quickdraw66
08-24-2015, 02:48 PM

BTW SCOTUS has ruled that a trooper is not responsible for your safety. And most times police show up to take reports. I appreciate their job, but I do everybody's, including the doctors, and nurses that ACTUALLY saved my life. And they could not have done without all those little people.

Police deserve no less, and no more respect that the rest of law abiding society. If they expect more they should get another job.

Yep, they get paid. Most don't do it just for the money though. Nice try.

scarry scarney
08-24-2015, 03:04 PM

1) As a two time Cancer survivor, YES, Doctors and Nurses have saved my life.

2) But on hostile calls, Medical stages, until cleared to go in by Law Enforcement.

3) The Trooper does not get paid? I don't know about other states, here in California, we have Reserve Officers, that are on the street of every day and every hour, handling all types of calls. Their uniform is no different than the full timers. The difference? They are classified as volunteers and DONT GET PAID. Why? Civic Duty? Wanting to be badge heavy? Trying to go full time, and getting experience? You tell me.

But, I'll tell you this. I respect the men and women in the Military and Law Enforcement Uniforms. They let me sleep soundly at night.
But that's just my two cents.

Walkingwolf
08-24-2015, 03:15 PM
I respect every single law abiding citizen, they all do their part.

More police officers are arrested every year than murdered in the line of duty. Should those officers also be respected?

I respect the priest, the clergy, the dedicated coaches, and so on that do not commit crimes. I will never give blanket respect/trust to any profession when they commit crimes. My only duty to my country is to be honest, law abiding, loyal citizen, it is not to hold anybody on a pedestal, no matter who they are. If a person is a criminal, there is no excuse, they are a criminal, the profession does not matter.

Blanket nationalism, and blanket hero worship of government politicians, and agents leads to fascism.

I am not knocking honest police officers, but I will be damned if I will kiss their backside or anybody else. It is public servants who are supposed to kiss the backside of the public.

Biggfoot44
08-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Prayer for the Trooper's family, and may his killer recieve th esentence he desirves, and have it quickly carried out.

Does LE have the highest death rates ? No .The difference is they have to mentally confront their mortality constantly every day, and not have signifigent control over entering particularly hazardous situations at a moment's notice, or no notice at all. Most of the other line of endevor that have higher actual mortality rates , it is an unexpect randonm act of fate where they become deceased or seriously injured. Comparable things ? I dunno. I know I left one occupation because my child needed a living father. I know in my current occupation there is ( admittedly not statistically likely ) there is an expectation that if XYZ happens, I am required/ Duty bound/ Honor bound to take PDQ actions that are likely unsurvivable.

Addendum for overlapping posts while typing :

It's complex in my mind. As a default , people that volunter to put themselves at risk, and/or put themselves and families into extra stress to serve and protect the public , get extra credit on the balances of Karma. It is possable to run a foul of internal rules and/ or regulations without being fundamentally wrong or immoral. Meanwhile , using LE position to opress the rights of citizens generally is low down despicable. ( Dosen't give clear black/ white answer, but neither does life. )

Petrol & Powder
08-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Evaluating the "dangerousness" of an occupation by death rates alone is probably not the best barometer.

You'll get no argument from me that construction, logging, mining and farming top the list in occupational deaths per year. Those jobs are dangerous without doubt. However most, if not all, of the deaths in those fields are the result of accidents. Some law enforcement deaths are from accidents, usually within a vehicle or being struck by a vehicle but the remaining deaths are the results of attacks on the officer. The split between accidental police deaths and intentional homicide of officers varies from year to year but it's generally 1/3 to 1/2 of the deaths by accidents and the remaining number by felonious action. The number of officers feloniously killed each year is held relatively low largely due to the tactics employed by officers to survive attacks. It is also important to remember that most assaults on officers do not result in death but the total number of assaults on officers is measured in tens of thousands every year, not hundreds. Not all of those assailants intend to kill the officer but some of them do and thankfully fail. So to that list of dangerous occupations; you can add criminals. The police kill hundreds of criminals every year that would have added to the number of police deaths if the police had failed to win those confrontations.
Most farmers, construction workers, etc. don't go to work expecting to be assaulted. That doesn't make their jobs any less dangerous, just different.
Construction workers, farmers, loggers, miners, etc.; utilize good training and technique to avoid death and injury on the job the same way police use good tactics and training to avoid death and injury. That's just common sense.

The end result of plummeting off of a tall building is death or serious injury but there IS a mindset difference in potentially falling off a roof vs. being thrown off a roof.

I'm thankful the numbers of police officers, firefighters, EMT's killed each year is relatively low. I also think it is wise to attempt to reduce the numbers of deaths in other occupations such as farming, mining, construction, etc. but there are a LOT more people engaged in those industries compared to law enforcement so naturally the numbers of deaths will be higher, even when you correct the rates against the total number of employed.
A police officer that survives a confrontation thankfully doesn't add to the total number of officers killed that year but that doesn't make that confrontation any less dangerous.

If your only tool to evaluate "dangerousness" is total numbers of deaths I think your criteria is too narrow.

We now know that the individual that killed the Louisiana Trooper had an extensive arrest record and is a suspect in another murder. If that trooper had survived the confrontation with that criminal he would not have added to the tally of officers killed this year but his survival wouldn't make that confrontation any less dangerous.

quickdraw66
08-24-2015, 10:03 PM
May that trooper rest in piece. :(

Southern Son
08-25-2015, 12:24 AM

As a serving LEO (25+ years), I found the statistics above lacking any credibility. I have investigated a large number of deaths on building sites (builders falling or being hit by falling objects, sparkies being electricuted, etc), Truck Drivers, Machinery Operators, etc. I even completed training to investigate deaths on Mine Sites. One common theme I noticed in NEARLY all the deaths was that someone failed to comply with Occ. Health and Safety (I think you all call it OSHA), or the did something completely stupid. Builders failing to wear helmets or harnesses, Truck Drivers exceeding hours (here in Oz we call it Pushing Time), Machinery operators failing to "Lock Out" the machinery while performing maintenance, etc. One of the first deaths I got to investigate was a Miner working underground. His last words to a co-worker were "I don't need a harness, I can jump that gap easy." You can guess what happened next. The training for investigating mine deaths was enlightening, to say the least. I have no problem with some dumb *** removing himself from the gene pool, but all too often, (still not nearly the majority of the time, but still, way too often), it would be some idiot failing to do what was needed or right that removed someone else.

I think that the above statistics would mean a great deal more if they removed the morons that killed themselves by not wearing a helmet, harness, high viz vest, etc. Or the ones that decided that they did not need to observe the road rules within the mine site, etc.
Leave only the ones killed by someone else’s negligence or malice. The truck driver that got hit by someone, or swerved trying to miss someone doing something illegal or stupid, the machinery operator killed when someone else removed the “Lock Outs” while he worked to get whatever it is back to working.

I think that only then will those statistics mean anything, because, let’s face it, very few janitors opened the closet to grab a mop and got shot in the face by some filthy little scum bag who was hiding in there after kicking the **** out of his wife.

Lonegun1894
08-25-2015, 02:05 AM
My prayers for Trooper Vincent's loved ones and RIP to him.

Southern Son, you have an excellent point and it would be VERY enlightening to see the stats with your filter applied. The cop haters will never see this for what it is, because they have a twisted filter of their own that they apply. I have told many of them to put on a badge and show all LEOs how to better do their jobs, or quit flapping their gums, but they don't like hearing that.

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 02:16 AM
My prayers for Trooper Vincent's loved ones and RIP to him.

Southern Son, you have an excellent point and it would be VERY enlightening to see the stats with your filter applied. The cop haters will never see this for what it is, because they have a twisted filter of their own that they apply. I have told many of them to put on a badge and show all LEOs how to better do their jobs, or quit flapping their gums, but they don't like hearing that.

More criminals are stopped by LAC, let me repeat more criminals are stopped by lawfully armed citizens. They don't need no stinkin badges.

Cop groupies are about as bad as cop haters. The officer that got shot, and killed did not deserve it, and the thug deserves to be fried. But let's stop with this side show of painting law abiding citizens who are responsible to keep government honest as haters. There are haters, but there are apologists.

Next time you need a doctor, why not go to school and take care of yourself. Pave your own road. House on fire, grab your hose.

Have as much respect for the law abiding citizen.

Lonegun1894
08-25-2015, 03:07 AM
More criminals are stopped by LAC, let me repeat more criminals are stopped by lawfully armed citizens. They don't need no stinkin badges.

Cop groupies are about as bad as cop haters. The officer that got shot, and killed did not deserve it, and the thug deserves to be fried. But let's stop with this side show of painting law abiding citizens who are responsible to keep government honest as haters. There are haters, but there are apologists.

Next time you need a doctor, why not go to school and take care of yourself. Pave your own road. House on fire, grab your hose.

Have as much respect for the law abiding citizen.

You won't get an argument from me about the numbers stopped by lawfully armed citizens, and I am glad that we have these citizens. But there is a huge difference between a criminal finding you or me and picking the wrong target to victimize and pushing us into a corner and forcing us to act, and you or me being sent to go looking for said criminal. Two different ball games, even though they may have the same result for either us or the criminal.

And it's funny that you chose medical care as your example of something to send me to school for, because I did go to school for it, and haven't had any need for any medical care that I couldn't provide for myself for over ten years now, with the only exceptions being physicals for work that need a signature with the letters "MD" behind it. In the interest of full disclosure, I do work as a peace officer, but I also do my own IVs, shots, sutures, splints, casts, and anything else I need, and have sutured myself several times due to injuries (intentionally) inflicted by criminals. And unlike Southern Son's 25+ years of service, I have only been doing this since '08, so you can imagine what he's seen in comparison to my few years in. The point is that the difference is intentional hostile action as opposed to accidents caused by negligence or stupidity. That is not to make light of anyone losing their life because all life is irreplaceable, but the circumstances and causes are different between jobs. So lets use Southern Son's filter, and someone find the numbers for all jobs combined where the death or injury is caused by intentional hostile action vs accidents, and that will give us statistics that are more fitting to this conversation, and all the numbers in the chart given will go down somewhat.

Now can we go back to the original topic?

winchester85
08-25-2015, 08:49 AM
a badge does not make someone a hero.

i was a timber faller for 7 years. outside of those seven years i have been a framing contractor all my life. i choose to do what i do, those in law enforcement choose to do what they do.

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 08:55 AM
A comment from a movie(I know) that comes to mind Shorty to Monty "If that wagon is too much for you..."

Nobody promised you a rose garden. If someone did before you decided to be a peace officer, they lied to you.

ETA what I am getting is sense of entitlement from online cops. I don't like it from anybody. It seems they expect more respect from the public they are supposed to serve than they are willing to give. Mind you I have only seen it from internet LEO's. In person LE is much more respectful.

sparky45
08-25-2015, 10:29 AM
This one is the best post on this thread. ↑↑↑

DCP
08-25-2015, 11:36 AM
A comment from a movie(I know) that comes to mind Shorty to Monty "If that wagon is too much for you..."

Nobody promised you a rose garden. If someone did before you decided to be a peace officer, they lied to you.

ETA what I am getting is sense of entitlement from online cops. I don't like it from anybody. It seems they expect more respect from the public they are supposed to serve than they are willing to give. Mind you I have only seen it from internet LEO's. In person LE is much more respectful.

Wow just wow one of the most disrespectful post I have ever seen.
This officer paid the ultimate price and was not a a internet online cop.
He walk the walk!
You cop haters get just need to re think your hateful posts. SHAME SHAME SHAME

Lonegun1894
08-25-2015, 11:53 AM

i was a timber faller for 7 years. outside of those seven years i have been a framing contractor all my life. i choose to do what i do, those in law enforcement choose to do what they do.

I completely agree. A badge, or any other symbol of whatever job, doesn't make someone a hero. All I am saying is that when you choose any job, regardless of what it is, you accept the risks of that job. Most jobs, it is an accident that may or may not happen. But with LE, you know when you accept the job that at some point, someone will try to take your life for no reason other than that you have that badge on. Most times, if you watch your back and have a little luck on your side, they will not be successful, but it only takes one slip up to pay the ultimate price like this Trooper did. That is how LE and military service is different from any other jobs, no other job will someone try to kill you purely because of your uniform. The other jobs injuries and deaths are accidents, but no one can tell me that this *** accidentally stepped out of the truck with a shotgun and accidentally shot the Trooper.

white eagle
08-25-2015, 11:57 AM

couldn't agree more
like the old saying goes
"one bad apple......
to many people and classes of people are pointing
their crooked little fingers at cops for doing their job
I find it to be more of a diversion attempt than anything
give credit to these men and women for doing what most would not

Lonegun1894
08-25-2015, 12:00 PM

I don't expect any more or any less respect than I give either in person or online, but I am really tired of the disrespect and outright hostility towards LEOs, or any other job. This thread for example, started out about an Officer losing his life in the line of duty, but some here have insisted on turning it into a cop bashing thread instead. Doesn't seem to get much lower than that.

DCP
08-25-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't expect any more or any less respect than I give either in person or online, but I am really tired of the disrespect and outright hostility towards LEOs, or any other job. This thread for example, started out about an Officer losing his life in the line of duty, but some here have insisted on turning it into a cop bashing thread instead. Doesn't seem to get much lower than that.

Amen amen to that

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Next time I need help, I will help myself. When seconds count police are minutes away. The entitled attitude brings the problems. I doubt anybody that has posted is not sorry for the officer and his family. But the outright indignation towards the public does not wash. This brings on the problem, stop pushing, and people will stop pushing back.

Plus most adults do not want, or need a babysitter. You are not our savior, you are not mighty mouse. If you cannot respect the public's right to choose how they feel, and express themselves whether you like it or not, you do not respect the public. The last sentence in the OP should have been left out, it opened the door for this discussion. Anytime you try to force society to bend, society will resist. It's a job, do it, and respect yourself. If anybody needs respect from others for validation they have issues that should be addressed.

sparky45
08-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Next time I need help, I will help myself. When seconds count police are minutes away. The entitled attitude brings the problems. I doubt anybody that has posted is not sorry for the officer and his family. But the outright indignation towards the public does not wash. This brings on the problem, stop pushing, and people will stop pushing back.

Plus most adults do not want, or need a babysitter. You are not our savior, you are not mighty mouse. If you cannot respect the public's right to choose how they feel, and express themselves whether you like it or not, you do not respect the public. The last sentence in the OP should have been left out, it opened the door for this discussion. Anytime you try to force society to bend, society will resist. It's a job, do it, and respect yourself. If anybody needs respect from others for validation they have issues that should be addressed.

Again this ↑↑↑. Almost NEVER is a LEO at the scene a tragic event involving the public, their job isn't to protect and defend, it's "policing" after the fact.
My condolences to the fallen Troopers family in this time of grief.

DCP
08-25-2015, 01:40 PM

This kind of post has no place here!!
Your disrespect of this officer is GLARING.
Take your grievance to another venue.
Your words matter. Show some respect.

DCP
08-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Again this ↑↑↑. Almost NEVER is a LEO at the scene a tragic event involving the public, their job isn't to protect and defend, it's "policing" after the fact.

Another post that doesn't belong here

cainttype
08-25-2015, 01:52 PM

"It takes a special person with a special dedication to make a GOOD police officer, let's not confuse those with the poor examples."... There!...I said it AGAIN! LOL

I'll ask for help with editting when I decide I need it.
How any reasonable person could find something nefarious in that statement is beyond me.
I will waste no further time with such insanity.

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 01:54 PM
I have no disrespect for the officer, none, nada have not expressed it once. Police are people, and should be treated as people, I have pointed this out in another thread. They have a job to do, they should do it with pride, and lawfully. But people cannot be herded like cattle, it does not work.

I am not a cop hater, nor a cop lover, they are people. I don't really hate anyone, it is a waste of time. But I do dislike criminals, and have enormous respect for laws, and the constitution.

If you are the moderator let me know, I will send you a redacted copy of my certification. As long as it is kept between us. I worked hard at my job, and I did not expect anything other than a paycheck. I took pride in what I did, and I did it with respect for the law. Not all people are the same, and have the same emotions, that does not make them bad as long as they are not bad. Everybody who is honest has a place in society, and I pray for their loss of a loved one, just the same. I don't think that is disrespect.

jcwit
08-25-2015, 01:54 PM
I think its terrible this Officer got shot, it even makes it worse that he lost his life. Now we have a wife and children without a father, and it is just wrong.

Regarding officers, there are some I do not like, there are others who I admire even at my age of 71. Has nothing to do with their being an Officer, it has to do with the difference in people.

Such is life!

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 02:08 PM
I think its terrible this Officer got shot, it even makes it worse that he lost his life. Now we have a wife and children without a father, and it is just wrong.

Regarding officers, there are some I do not like, there are others who I admire even at my age of 71. Has nothing to do with their being an Officer, it has to do with the difference in people.

Such is life!

This is all I am saying, I love my country, I love the people of my country. Except for criminals, I have no love, or respect for them.

jcwit
08-25-2015, 02:26 PM
This is all I am saying, I love my country, I love the people of my country. Except for criminals, I have no love, or respect for them.

What did this have to do with my post????????????????????????:veryconfu:?:

Walkingwolf
08-25-2015, 02:28 PM
What did this have to do with my post????????????????????????:veryconfu:?:
I was agreeing with you, that is what the "all I am saying" sorry if I did not make that clear.

sparky45
08-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Another post that doesn't belong here

Gee, can't I express my condolences without you butting in? Get a hold of No. 1 if you want to be a moderator, and please leave me out of your tirades.

sparky45
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Such is life!
I agree 100%.

quickdraw66
08-25-2015, 03:27 PM

I badge DOES usually (the vast majority of the time) mean that someone has decided to go into a profession where they risk their life on a daily basis for the sake of keeping others safe. As lonegun said, the difference between all those other professions and an officer is that the deaths in those other professions are all caused by accidents. Many, if not most of the deaths in the military and LEO fields are caused by people who are actively trying to kill them. LEOs and the military deserve our respect for the service they are doing.

DCP
08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Gee, can't I express my condolences without you butting in? Get a hold of No. 1 if you want to be a moderator, and please leave me out of your tirades.

Your condolences are fine. If you really care and I hope you do.
Its the other things you say that don't belong in this thread and that is disrespectful. They belong somewhere else.

Plate plinker
08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Bummer for the officers family. I lost a police friend to a nut too, however they were not careful enough when responding to the call and that was the cause of my friends demise.

For all you LEOs stay vigilant stay safe and make it home every day.

sparky45
08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
[COLOR=#333333]Here is a summation of what I've typed in this thread, please clarify the disrespect you claim I've espoused? BTW, I like you are entitled to an opinion, right?

"I agree 100%"
"Gee, can't I express my condolences without you butting in? Get a hold of No. 1 if you want to be a moderator, and please leave me out of your tirades."
"This one is the best post on this thread. ↑↑↑"

Gus Youmans
08-25-2015, 06:47 PM
sparky45,

I had to read your post twice before understanding what you were trying to say. Once I understood, it was clear to me that you did not intend disrespect in your post but can understand how someone else interpreted it differently.

On the other hand, your general statement about LEOs almost never being at the scene of a tragedy ignores the countless number of events that did not occur or, if an event occurred, it did not turn out as badly as it might have because of LEO presence. Bad guys tend not to do bad things when there is LEO presence. I would also argue that LEOs do have a responsibility to protect and defend the general public but because they cannot be everywhere all the time, they do not have a responsibility for our individual protection. That is one of the reasons we have the Second Amendment.

Gus Youmans

jmort
08-25-2015, 07:13 PM
@Sparky45, I agree with all your posts in this thread. Too many busy bodies and sanctimonious nonsense.

Southern Son
08-26-2015, 02:42 AM

Perhaps you could highlight the posts on this thread that give you this "sense of entitlement". If you can't, then perhaps you could explain how you came to feel this sense of entitlement.

Southern Son
08-26-2015, 02:47 AM

Such is life!

Don't know if you are aware, but these were the last words of a double cop killer, Ned Kelly. It has become a bit of a catch cry of anti police types in Australia. I find it rather amusing that most of the clowns that spout it down under cannot tell you what his last words were before he was captured.