PDA

View Full Version : Gift from a great neighbor

hoosierlogger
08-23-2015, 08:02 PM
My neighbor Carl lives on the 70 acres behind me. He is an aging man that is having more difficulty maintaining his property. He has pretty much givin me free run of his property to "do with it as I see fit" He has been plagued with dying trees and trees uprooting during storms. I always gladly go cut the free firewood. Today I went over to cut a tree that was dead near his pond. I cut the tree, keeping it on the bank out of the water. He came out of the house with a white shirt neatly folded in his hand. He unfolded the shirt to reveal an old automatic pistol without a stitch of blue left on it. Handed it to me and said " this was my grand daddy's pistol, it is the first gun I ever shot". I looked it over, still felt very tight albeit in poor condition. You could see in his eyes what it meant to him. I handed it back to him after examining it. He asked "what are you giving it back to me for?" To which I replied " it's your gun." The words that came out of his mouth next floored me. He said "I dont have anybody to leave it to any more, and I want you to have it." I gladly accepted it and promised him it would get handed down to my 2 year old son Michael when the time comes. He said he was fine with that.

I just can't believe he thinks that much of me to give me something that has been in his family for over 100 years.
Colt model 1908 hammerless series 1. Caliber .380

MrWolf
08-23-2015, 08:09 PM
I think it says a lot about how well you have treated him that he respects you that much. Congrats!

Ramjet-SS
08-23-2015, 08:16 PM
That is the ultimate show of respect take care of that fella and make sure your 2 year old visits with him as well.

hoosierlogger
08-23-2015, 08:24 PM
That is the ultimate show of respect take care of that fella and make sure your 2 year old visits with him as well.
Yessir, We visit him atleast once a week either on the tractor or the 3 wheeler (my son loves to ride on things that move). He enjoys seeing Michael as much as Michael does the ride. He told me one time that he lost a son that was Michaels age back in the 60's. He enjoys both seeing both of my kids.

duckey
08-23-2015, 08:29 PM
I have the same gun in .25 acp, in the original box with instructions. It was given to met my wife's family after their father passed. It belonged to their grandfather. Same date as yours. Has nice case hardening on it. It is about %90 for condition. A fun gun to shoot! It is great that I was able to get the story behind the gun, will hand this down as well.

Ramjet-SS
08-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Yessir, We visit him atleast once a week either on the tractor or the 3 wheeler (my son loves to ride on things that move). He enjoys seeing Michael as much as Michael does the ride. He told me one time that he lost a son that was Michaels age back in the 60's. He enjoys both seeing both of my kids.

That is awesome and good for you and the kids.

dragonrider
08-23-2015, 09:01 PM
+1 what Wolf said above. I have the same gun in 32, I actully don't remmember how I came to possess I have had it so long, it needs a barrel as the one in it has no rifleing.

osteodoc08
08-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Awesome story. I had a retiring neighbor of mine give me an "old 22". That old 22 was a Remington Targetmaster model 41 with the most beautiful brown patina. It's a basic single shot with a manual cocking piece, but a great trainer. With its 26 or 28" barrel, a cb is nothing but a wisper and the colibri near silent. Accurate too with its rudimentary sights.

jeepyj
08-23-2015, 09:19 PM
I think it shows that you mean l lot to him. He must be a good judge of character.
Jeepyj

BNE
08-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Not every gun has a story, but I like the ones that do so much better.

bedbugbilly
08-24-2015, 09:27 AM
hoosierlogger - you're a good man! Over the years, I have had several "good friends" that I made who were older . . and like your friend . . . because of different types of circumstances found themselves alone. In this day and age, when everybody is "busy" and don't have time for others . . . it's important to realize that there are many out there who find themselves alone as they age. I'm sure your friend cherishes you visits and greatly appreciates what you do for him . . and he obviously thinks highly of you to do what he did. The thing you will realize in later years, after you friend is gone, is that he is just as much of a friend to you ad you are to him. You will cherish the memories of you visits with him, the stories and laughs that you shared and you'll also realize the influence that his friendship had on you. Enjoy this visits and his friendship each and every time that you can. You are bringing a great joy into his life along with your son and he sounds like a great individual. That's what this life is all about . . . remembering others. It only takes a short visit once in a while to cheer up and make a person's day who is alone . . especially those that are older. You are and will be blessed for the joy you bring to him. And in later years, overtime you look at that fine gift he gave you, those memories will come back.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-24-2015, 11:19 AM
That's just awesome congrats

Hardcast416taylor
08-24-2015, 11:44 AM
This is going to sound strange, but. If he has nobody left to leave the pistol, does he have a will prepared to state his wishes about his estate and final resting place? Good on you for keeping a watch on him.Robert

EMC45
08-24-2015, 01:03 PM
That is a nice story. I think I would have gotten a lump in my throat upon being given the pistol.

Electric88
08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
That is a nice story. I think I would have gotten a lump in my throat upon being given the pistol.

I would have shed a tear, no doubt in my mind. It's already been said, but it's easy for people to feel alone as they get older nowadays because everyone is so busy. It's awesome to hear that there are people such as hoosierlogger that can be a friend and neighbor to those who feel alone. Thank you for sharing that story.