PDA

View Full Version : first post , lots of questions

meharrell
08-23-2015, 07:20 PM
here's the thing , I have a new 300 blk , and would like to pick y'alls brains about a few things .
I am appalled with the cost of jacketed bullets , and I am looking for a good cast boolit mold / load that will function in my rifle . 16 inch ,carbine , seekins precision upper.
I'm interested in supersonic loads only at this time .
I have been reloading for 30 or so years , and am experienced in cast boolit loading for both pistol and rifle .
the blackout , ar combo has new problems to consider though.
function , accuracy, power / speed , I think that's the right order ?

sooooo , I welcome all recipes , and suggestions , thanks in advance !! mike

Yodogsandman
08-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Mike, Welcome to the site! I have no idea how to answer your questions but, what I do when I have a specific question is to use the white box above and to the right hand side of the page marked "Google Custom Search". Just type in what you want to find out and it will give you a list of threads that cover that topic. Get ready for a lot of reading, that's a good subject.

pjames32
08-24-2015, 11:29 AM
+1 on the search function. Most topics have been well covered and the "stickys" also contain a lot of good info. You have a lot of reading ahead of you.
Welcome!
PJ

dilly
08-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Your twist rate on the barrel can to a degree dictate what you need to use for the blackout. This is a strange caliber where the heaviest bullets you can use are over twice as heavy as the lightest bullets you can use.

Most supersonic bullet molds use gas checks, and some people use coatings like Hi-Tek or powder coating on that caliber more than any other possibly.

Were I in the market, I would look at some of Lee's new six cavity 30 caliber rifle molds in the weight ranges that might be useful to you. In fact I am in the market and I have been eyeing them already.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-c312-155-2r.html

That is the item I'm thinking about trying, but the price straight from Lee is a little steep. They can be had for cheaper elsewhere. Don't forget to grab some mold handles; makes casting a little easier.

Another option is the double cavity version. It is a little cheaper and comes with handles.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-312-155-2r.html

For better prices on Lee products the Titan reloading site that is a sponsor of our forum here is a good option.

I'm sure NOE or Accurate molds has a great bullet design that's perfect for your needs, but sometimes people abuse their first mold a little bit anyway so I think a Lee is great to start out with. Also, if you decide you want to try a smaller/bigger mold you can do so without so much money put into the process.

Moonie
08-25-2015, 01:59 PM
I have to second the 6 cavity 312 155 Lee mold, works great for us in two uppers.

ShooterAZ
08-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Both the Lee C312-155 and the RCBS 30-165 SIL work well for me. I just got a NOE 312 160 FN, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

JWFilips
08-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Keep Reading & searching here! You will learn much before you make the great decent ! ( into the insanity) ! :shock:

GhostHawk
08-26-2015, 08:51 AM
I have found that midsouth often has better prices on lee tools than anywhere else. Take a look at the top of this page for a link.

Myself, I have a .300BO in a single shot which is easier in many respects. I can use whatever powder I want and do not have to consider working the action.

This is one of my favorites for the 300.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690311/Double-Cavity-Mold-TL314-90-SWC-

(http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690311/Double-Cavity-Mold-TL314-90-SWC-)I do size those down to .310 (lee .309 sizer polished out to .310)

dilly
08-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Hm. What load do you use for that bullet? What C.O.A.L. do you use? Do you think it's heavy enough to cycle a semiautomatic?

I have that mold but hasn't considered this application for it.