PDA

View Full Version : How much for minty Smiffy 57

osteodoc08
08-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Have a friend who is into 41s like I am in Ohio. He says he's come across a mint M57 6" P&R with 3 T's with no box and wanted to know what I thought value wise. I was thinking $750-850. He says it's on consignment for $1100. What says you?

Scharfschuetze
08-23-2015, 09:53 PM
The pinned and recessed N frame Smiths have really shot up in value the last decade. I hardly ever see them in gun shops anymore. I haven't followed it all that much, so I can't comment on the price, but it sounds interesting.

Out of curiosity, I took a tour around the Internet checking prices on Model 57s and they are all around the asking price of the one you mention. With factory boxes they are a bit higher.

MT Gianni
08-23-2015, 10:59 PM
It may be coming close to a good buy at that price which is indeed a shocker for us old guys.

CLAYPOOL
08-23-2015, 11:21 PM
I can't afford to keep most of what I have. Their worth too much for me to chance taking them outside. The only thing I can enjoy is the Taurus's in hand guns and 1 lever .454. The rest is going to the bank lock box till I sell them. Its pitiful. I bought knowing no one else would want those calibers and guns. Ha..

ebner glocken
08-26-2015, 01:37 AM
I can't afford to keep most of what I have. Their worth too much for me to chance taking them outside. The only thing I can enjoy is the Taurus's in hand guns and 1 lever .454. The rest is going to the bank lock box till I sell them. Its pitiful. I bought knowing no one else would want those calibers and guns. Ha..

I feel your pain. Although I don't see myself selling anytime in this lifetime, the kids will thank us someday for picking up a few N frames when they were cheap ie when everyone was trading them off for those "new" hi cap 9mms. I thank the movie Lethal Weapon for that. Do you remember thinking "why would anyone want such a heavy .357 or .41 mag"? They were great investments when we bought them so unwittingly.

Ebner

captaint
08-26-2015, 01:24 PM
If the 57 in question is an N prefix, no dash gun, 900 is pretty close. If it's an S prefix (the ones from the 60's) in mint cond, that's another matter. Especially if it has the original "coke" grips on it.

rintinglen
08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Last one I saw for sale was priced at 899.99. 900-1100 bucks seems to be what folks are asking for shooters. Ones with boxes and accessories can add 300 to those figures.
I almost regret selling mine back in the 70's, but then I couldn't get components and ammo was expensive--12.95 a box. Never caught the bug since.

osteodoc08
08-26-2015, 04:04 PM
It was an N prefix. First thing I asked. I let him know the overall consensus here that the asking price seems to be market value, not necessarily a "deal" and that if he wants it, should buy it if funding allows.

Deep Six
08-26-2015, 04:12 PM
$1100 is in line with asking prices on gunbroker, but I don't think many are selling at that price. $900 seems to be more realistic selling price based on the few real auctions that pop up. Also, later P&R guns don't bring the premium that the 50s-early 60s guns do. Then again I've seen non-P&R limited run Smiths from the 90s go well into the quadruple digits.

I'm just hoping that in 40 years all these Rugers I keep buying appreciate like the Smiths and Colts are doing lately.