PDA

View Full Version : Help, my loctite pro super glue is smoking

nekshot
08-23-2015, 01:46 PM
I glued some burly walnut together for a project and I started applying this Loctite Professional Liquid super glue to the porus grain and it started giving off wisps of foul eye stinging bitter smelling smoke. I wonder what on the sam hill this is all about??????

Hawks Feather
08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
That is what happens when CA cures. The thicker the coat you use the worse it is. There are some CA glues that smell less than others, but I haven't found one that didn't smell. The amount of 'smoke' will depend on the hardness of the wood - you will see less on hard woods and more on soft. Walnut is soft so you get the worst of everything. There are CA accelerators that will make it cure quicker, but don't start with a final work piece before spending some time practicing. Too much accelerator and you will be sanding everything off to start over.

lancem
08-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Stay away from those fumes! Years ago I was designing and kitting giant scale models, in that there were some marathon builds using super glue in a less than well aired work area, in the end I developed an allergic reaction to the fumes that had me going to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, serious stuff. Use in a well ventilated area.

bangerjim
08-23-2015, 08:10 PM
I use CA "thick" glue all the time. Have no use for the watery stuff. ALWAYS use the spray-on accelerator to cure it. Works like magic in 10 seconds. Minimum fumes. CA glue is pretty much useless without the accelerator. Except for gluing your fingers together!

The stuff found it beginnings in medical field emergency use use to close wounds. And I have found only the thick stuff is what you want. Fills gaps like crazy. Mabe that is why they called it CrazyGlue back in the early years?!?!?!?!?

Reaction with cotton.......could be your problem?
Applying cyanoacrylate to some natural materials such as cotton, leather or wool (cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause serious burns, ignite the cotton product, or release irritating white smoke. Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates.

BrentD
08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
+1 on avoiding the fumes. I have several version of it around, some thick, some thin. Each for a special jobs. If I had to have just one, it would be the thin.

Never used the accelerant. I can see where they might be useful and I've heard that spraying with water in a mist will act as an accelerant.

DougGuy
08-23-2015, 09:22 PM
That's normal for superglue. I try and not breathe the fumes or get them in my eyes. I have used an airbrush and water thin superglue to refinish guitar necks with during refrets, Eric Clapton has some of his personal Strat necks finished with superglue. It's great stuff but it has unique properties. It will get hot enough to raise a serious blister on skin, easily over 300°F when it flashes off while using accelerator.

bangerjim
08-23-2015, 09:27 PM
The accelerant is like magic. I use thick CA for repairs in wood and metal. Filling gaps is a breeze. Squirt it in, spray, and the stuff is hard in 10 seconds. No waiting and shifting around for it to harden. Need more? Just squirt more in and spray again! Builds up great. Works great when I wind coils for my antique scientific items to hold the windings in place!

For quick joins, put CA on one surface, spray acc on the other and slap them together.....RIGHT......THE 1ST TIME.......you do not have any 2nd chances as it bonds INSTANTLY!

You can use fillers in it too. Baking soda works. Fine sawdust of the species you are working on works. And you can buy special resign powder fillers to mix with it also. I have several common colored powders that bind well with CA. (Who knows.....mabe our boolit coating powders will work! never tried it.)

banger

BrentD
08-23-2015, 09:36 PM
You can use the thin superglue to soak into the wrist of a rifle that needs checkering and it will cut much better - esp. the varieties that tend to get a bit fuzzy when checkered (like Claro).

nekshot
08-23-2015, 10:40 PM
this is very interesting, as it appears I have alot more uses for this stuff than I thought. Yup, I knew those fumes were Bad and kept away from them! Thanks for all input.

M-Tecs
08-23-2015, 10:55 PM
You can use fillers in it too. Baking soda works. Fine sawdust of the species you are working on works. And you can buy special resign powder fillers to mix with it also. I have several common colored powders that bind well with CA. (Who knows.....mabe our boolit coating powders will work! never tried it.)

banger

Never thought of using fillers with it. I have a drying check on a blank that needs filling. I will give it a try. Thanks.

bangerjim
08-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Never thought of using fillers with it. I have a drying check on a blank that needs filling. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Just keep in mind that CA does NOT take a stain. You must mix the filler to match the wood-stained color if there is a difference.