PDA

View Full Version : I saw a new revolver at a gunshow that I have not seen before....

Harry O
08-23-2015, 12:30 PM
It was listed as an SAR .357. It is a copy of a S&W L-frame in .357 Magnum. It is made in Turkey. He had two versions: (1) a 4" for $500 with a moulded rubber, round-butt grip that felt between a K-frame and J-frame size, and (2) a 6" for $600 with a larger wood grip that felt between a K-frame and N-frame size. Both were in Stainless Steel. I have checked the internet and there is VERY little out there about this. Even the SAR website has incorrect information on it (saying that the revolver is semi-automatic and in 9mm caliber).

I did not get to trip the trigger, but in rotating it, it appears to be solid with tight tolerances. They copied the S&W pretty closely, including some of their shortcomings (such as having the cutout for the cylinder bolt directly over the center of the chamber. There was no front or rear strap on either set of grips so the grip-frame may be a square stub like the latest Ruger DA's. It feels much better than a Taurus copy of the S&W. The asking price is inbetween a new Taurus and a new S&W. I have not found anything on the internet about the price. I don't doubt that this may have been a little higher than they will be in the near future since they are still brand new.

When someone gets some experience with it, I would like to know more. I had a DA Taurus a few years ago and will not own another. However, I bought a semi-auto copy of the CZ-75 Compact a while back (for $300) and tested it against my real CZ-75 Compact ($550). I feel that the Turkey version is just as good as the CZ version and the magazines even interchange. It looks like Turkey knows how to build guns when they want to.

376Steyr
08-23-2015, 01:03 PM
I have no experience with Turkish revolvers, but I know several people who have bought Turkish shotguns and have been disappointed. Initial fit and finish is very good, then a part breaks, and that's when they find there is no factory support to be had. Unless it has a big US brand name on it, if something breaks, you are going to be on your own.

osteodoc08
08-23-2015, 07:35 PM
At those prices, I'd rather have a Ruger.

rondog
08-24-2015, 01:34 AM
At those prices, I'd rather have a Ruger.

Yessir.