PDA

View Full Version : Mark this on calendar: Split 38 case.

hendere
08-23-2015, 12:24 PM
There's a first time for everything I guess. I just had a 38 Special case split while resizing it. I've never actually bought 38 brass and I couldn't begin to guess how many loadings over how many years. If I compare this experience with the 10mm and 40s I've shot and through Glocks lately......

nockhunter
08-30-2015, 10:25 PM
They do that from time to time. Not often, but I have had it happen once or twice in the last 20 years of reloading.

Mike

TXGunNut
08-30-2015, 11:41 PM
I used to start each PPC comp season with around a 1000 pieces of 38 once-fired brass. I'd add to it by shooting distinguished matches a few times but by the time Nationals rolled around each piece of brass had been fired 10-20 times and about 1 in ten were splitting. At nationals or other big matches I'd generally be the beneficiary of a brass donation by one big team or another and I'd be set for another year. The nickel brass seemed to spilt but I had quite a few nickel cases I wore the nickel off of before they spilt.
So yes, they do split it you keep after them. :-)

dragonrider
08-31-2015, 12:04 AM
All brass is gonna split some time, ain't no crisis, it's just wore out. I have some 45 ACP brass I've been shooting for almost 30 years, every time I go out I split at least 2 usually 5or 6, of course being fossilized I don't shoot nearly as often as I used to, but I try to kinda roll through the safe and get to shoot em all for a bit every few months. Keeps me happy, doesn't help my shoulder at all so I have to download the heavy hitters or I would not be shooting at all for a while.

waco
09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I bought a batch of used 38 brass a few years ago. Every time I go out I loose 2-4 per cylinder full. Seems odd. Maybe the brass was cleaned with a chemical at sometime that had a bad effect.

150gr swc with 3gr BE

trapper9260
09-05-2015, 09:24 AM
I had in the past got some factory 44mags lead bullets and out of the box I had one case that spit on me after shooting them all.Also the bullet lead up the barrel bad also.But after I use my own cast I had no more problems.Yes you will always have some case spit on you.They get worn out.Like was stated also.Some of it depends how much of a charge you load them with also.

runfiverun
09-05-2015, 05:10 PM
I loaded a Winchester and a starline case over and over they split about the 40th loading or so.
I think some of it has to do with how much you actually size the case down each time.

Art in Colorado
09-05-2015, 06:17 PM
The only split cases I ever had were with a 44 Mag RCBS sizeing die. Just kept spliting the cases. A call to RCBS and the had me send the die in and they replaced it free. Carbide ring went bad.

gunauthor
09-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I bought 500 357 Maximum cases (Remington) and a number of them split the first time they were fired. I contacted the factory and they replaced the whole batch. The explanation was that the forming die had a burr which scratched the cases.

acoop101
09-05-2015, 07:52 PM
I have only ever had nickle plated brass quit and split on me in 38. Since I work at a shooting range I just scrap it when it does split. I also only shoot Remington 38 brass since that is what my competition revolver is set up for.