PDA

View Full Version : SR1911 vs. Remington R1

Arisaka99
08-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Been looking at both the R1 and the SR1911. I see they make the ruger in both the full size and commander sizes. How do they compare with the R1, I've heard good things about both, but figured I would ask around and see what y'all think.

Thanks, Chris.

Mauser48
08-23-2015, 10:58 AM
I will be watching this as well...

williamwaco
08-23-2015, 11:35 AM
My BIL has both. (Full size) I would rank them exactly equal. Both function flawlessly and I can group 7 shots in under 3 inches at 25 yards (with a rest).

If i were buying, I would buy the Ruger because I have more confidence in Ruger than Remington!

BigAl52
08-23-2015, 11:39 AM
I have not ever owned the Remington but I do own the 5 inch model of the Ruger. The Ruger is excellent and real close to my Sig 1911 for accuracy and 300.00 cheaper. That being said the one thing that I look at is the customer service of each brand. I have dealt with Ruger they are first class. I have not heard the same from Remington. Al

Jupiter7
08-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Ruger. No "extra" safeties.

bubbacrabb
08-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Ive never shot a R1 and I will never own one. I really do like my SR1911 though. It shoots better than I can, has been 100% reliable with all my hand loads. Good shooter. I doubt the R1 is a bad gun. I bet it will just come down to which ever one you like the look and feel of better.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-23-2015, 11:57 AM
I only own the Ruger no issues at all with it i would buy again 147280

Bigslug
08-23-2015, 12:05 PM
The Ruger is a "true" 1911 in that it lacks any of the Series 80 or Swartz-style firing pin blocks. Ruger's only departure from stock .45 parts is that the plunger tube is investment cast as part of the frame rather than staked in place. Having re-staked quite a few, I think they added a nice touch that would have been done back in 1911 had the manufacturing processes of the time been agreeable to it.

376Steyr
08-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Handle an example of both. Lock the slides back and look at the undersides. If you see a little button that needs to be depressed to allow the firing pin to go forward, you know that you are looking at a gun from a company that is run by lawyers, who hate their customers and are willing to let them die. Believe me, when you are on the range with a gun you bought for carry, and the hammer goes "tick" and the firing pin safety prevents the gun from going "boom", your opinion on this subject hardens.

thegatman
08-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Series 70 Colt 1911 work flawlessly.

Love Life
08-23-2015, 01:41 PM
My nod goes to the Ruger. However, there are many options in the price range you are looking at.

Markbo
08-23-2015, 05:00 PM
I dont have a dog in this hunt but I will tell you about 2 things that happened to me. All my 1911 came with front strap checkering or got front strap checkering after I got them. I wont have one without it. YMMV. Second I was all hit and heavy to get an S&W 1911 when they came out. A buddy of mine got one and I was able to handle it at his home. For reasons I cannot explain it did not fit like all my other 1911s.

It felt funny so I did a few "draw and points" with my eyes closed and when opened I was holding way low. It was like that every time. Again I dont know why but that advice to put your hands on them first is very good advice.

uncle joe
08-23-2015, 05:22 PM
I have a Ruger full size, nice heavy man gun. I installed a national match bushing in mine and tightened the groups up a good bit, waiting on cooler weather to see what I need to do next to make it a tack driver like my colt.

bgw45
08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
I have owned both. Both had great triggers and grouped great. I liked the Ruger best and sold the Remington. Love the features of the Ruger and the fit and finish of my Ruger was better. I don't like series 80 safety components that ad complexity. Tried it.....sold it.

FergusonTO35
08-23-2015, 06:45 PM
My local dealer sells both Ruger and Remmy 1911's more than all others put together. He has had very few complaints with either. FYI, some people on the Ruger forum have reported undue corrosion which is worrisome given they are stainless steel.

crowbuster
08-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Agree with lovelife and I love my ruger.

dragon813gt
08-23-2015, 07:31 PM
I own a R1 and my Uncle owns a SR1911. They are both great pistols. I throated the R1 to shoot cast out of it. Haven't had any chambering issues since I did this.

I love Ruger and have a bunch of them. But three if the last four I bought had to go back to the factory for issues. These were all due to poor quality control. I'm hesitant to buy more because of this. If you go to one of the Ruger forums you will see that my story is not unusual. I know they are cranking them out. But their lack of QC is going to catch up to them.

GaryN
08-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Ruger also started making a lightweight commander. It has an alloy frame. It is quite a bit lighter. It is new so I have no idea how good they are.

GaryN
08-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Also, I have a full size SR 1911. I don't like the magazines that came with it too well. I have also had the front sight break off twice. But I bought Wilson mags and got a custom night sight. No problems at all now. I have about 1500 through it. I also had Dougguy do his magic on it. It handles lead real well now. No matter what you bought I would have Dougguy fix it to shoot lead.

wrench man
08-23-2015, 11:35 PM
I have the SR1911 full size ans CMD, I have NO complaints, well one, the CMD dents the case mouths on ejection?, having seen the GARBAGE Remington has been building in the last few years you couldn't give me one!

TXGunNut
08-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Ruger also started making a lightweight commander. It has an alloy frame. It is quite a bit lighter. It is new so I have no idea how good they are.

I bought one recently, very pleased with it overall. Slide release is a bit problematic but I have a fix for that. I like the R1 as well but the SR1911 was configured the way I wanted for a carry gun.

DougGuy
08-24-2015, 12:49 AM
It felt funny so I did a few "draw and points" with my eyes closed and when opened I was holding way low. It was like that every time.

^^^^ THIS.. For a carry gun, one thing I consider MANDATORY, is that you be able to stand looking forward, throw the gun out sideways at shoulder height, arms length, 90° to the right (or left if you are a southpaw) then turn your head and look at the sights. Are they aligned? If the gun "fits" you, they will be. If not, make it so they are if you want to carry this gun. In the dark, with nothing for reference, the gun should be an extension of your forearm, and the boolit should strike where your forearm is pointed. If it don't pass this draw to the sights drill, it won't.

Doing this draw, extend, then look drill is important. Markbo, if your sights are aimed low, you need at the very least an arched mainspring housing on your 1911.

For me, a Government model with the arched housing will draw to the sights. It is longer, it balances differently than a Commander, it has just enough weight on the muzzle to pull the sights into alignment when I do this. With a Commander, I use a flat mainspring housing because an arched housing causes the front sight to be higher on the draw and I have to consciously aim the pistol to align the sights. With a flat mainspring housing, it will draw to the sights every time.

Markbo
08-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Doug just for the record MY 1911s are fine. The S&W that sighted low was a friends and was the single reason I did not purchase one.

Southerngunner
08-24-2015, 08:21 PM
I have looked at the Remingtons and they appear to fine pistols but I have owned the Ruger Full size which I traded for the Commander when it came out and then I picked up the Lightweight Commander and I could not be happier. They have been very reliable and well built firearms that I would not hesitate to recommend to a friend. And to be truthful I believe Ruger will stand behind their pistol I have not heard the same about the Remington in my area.

johnson1942
08-25-2015, 08:54 AM
my son bought a remington and it out shoots all his other high end semi autos. reliable and very accurate. it was recommended to him when he visted me by a local gun dealer. the local dealer sells a lot of them around her and all are happy with it.

gray wolf
08-25-2015, 09:19 PM
I coached a new shooter over the weekend with a new in the box lightweight commander, Fit & finish was very good.
It seem to shoot OK and I didn't notice any Mal functions even though he had not cleaned OR lube it. I schooled him on that.

What bothered me was with the gun in battery the barrel had some up & down movement, could have been a barrel link fit problem.
What disturbed me was the safety was UN-safe, I rack the slide and cocked the pistol, put the safety on and applied some pressure to the trigger,
no problem the gun did not fire. Then I eased off the safety and held the pistol to my Ear, I slowely pulled the hammer back and I could hear that dreaded High pitched PING, an indication the sear jump off the hammer hook a tad. Not good and to me it renders the pistol UN-safe.

If you not familiar with this test look it up, most companies would want the gun back for a safety weld up or a new fitted safety.
I explained what I found and got the Deer in the headlights look. We parted and he commenced to shoot 50 rounds.

He left with--- OH yea I will call Ruger. ???????????????????????

All I can do is try, right.

Mass produced anything, you pay's your money and hope for the best.

hp246
08-25-2015, 09:32 PM
I have an R-1. After about 500 rounds, the disconnect failed. I have no experience with the SR1911.

DougGuy
08-25-2015, 09:50 PM
gray wolf you would be surprised how many new from the factory 1911s will let the trigger move the sear with the thumb safety engaged. You can look down inside, right in front of the hammer, and see the nose of the sear. With the thumb safety engaged, pull back on the hammer and pull the trigger and watch how far the sear can move. I have seen it like that on so many I thought it was supposed to move some... I have mine welded up and filed so there is zero movement.