PDA

View Full Version : M1 garand experts needed!

Mauser48
08-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I have been looking into garands lately and found a nice one (i believe) on the cmp forum. From everything I can tell all the parts are correct. I would like to know if this is a good deal for the rifle and is there something I'm missing. Thanks guys!

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=172815

Der Gebirgsjager
08-23-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't know what it takes to qualify as an M1 Expert, but I did qualify as an Expert with an M1! The first time would have been about 1961. Jokes aside, I love the old rifle, and presently own 10 of them. There is a great body of collector knowledge that some consider when buying one, as indicated by the great amount of details offered by the seller; or a purchase can be very simple and straight forward, depending on your goal. I looked at your link to the CMP Forum (of which I am a member) and the deal being offered is right at the top end of the going rate. Not an unfair price, but not a great bargain. You get what you pay for. You can purchase a nice, functioning M1 for right around $800, and it might have better muzzle and chamber measurements than the one being offered--but the one being offered isn't bad and still has lots of life left in it. How important to you is it to have all of the component parts made by the same manufacturer? It really doesn't effect how well the rifle operates, and is a collector-only concern. So the answer depends on your objective. Is it to have an all-matching specimen in your collection (in which case the deal is o.k.--but not great), or is it to have a rifle to shoot (in which case you'd pay too much). My personal opinion: It is a rare M1 indeed that is found in the condition in which it left the arsenal with all matching parts. The parts were changed and replaced in the field and during rebuild programs without regard to maker, and therefore (again, in my opinion) a mixed parts rifle is really more of an authentic item than one which someone has reassembled with parts from here and there that were all made by a specific manufacturer. Your call.

Boolit_Head
08-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Not sure if it is worth it or not but the CMP store sells them for about half that price.

Mauser48
08-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the info! I would like it to have some collector value. I figure if most shooters are around $900 I might as well spend a little more and have it more correct. I wouldn't pay the asking price though. I might send him an offer.

Scharfschuetze
08-23-2015, 01:00 PM
I looked over the photo and the parts list and it does seem to be a WWII issue rifle, other than as noted, the stock. The bore and throat gauge readings look good. While not new, it is certainly has life left in the barrel.

As you know, M1s with all the proper parts from its original issue date are pretty scarce. I have one such Garand and don't shoot it very much as it is mint, but my M1s with the mix and match parts get shot often. As noted, a shooter will cost less and probably get used more. A collector's rifle may end up being a safe queen, but there's nothing wrong with that either.

I would first suggest that you locate a good book on the Garand and give it a good read before making a decision. Of course by the time you do that, it'll probably be sold, so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. Still, the effort will hold you in good stead down the road with other Garands.

Here is a sad story of mine if you'll excuse a trip down memory lane. I was sent TDY (Temporary Duty) to Anniston Army Arsenal, Alabama for an assignment back in 94 or so. The DCM (name at the time for the CMP) had their facility there and if you brought them your DCM M1 Garand, they would try their best to fit it up with all the proper parts so it was "as issued." Well, a week or two before I got there, they had suffered a very negative Inspector General's report and were totally immersed in getting back on track. My dream of an "as issued" DCM M1 Garand died with that IG's report.

Bigslug
08-23-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I would like it to have some collector value. I figure if most shooters are around $900 I might as well spend a little more and have it more correct. I wouldn't pay the asking price though. I might send him an offer.

$1200 for a correct or mostly correct WWII-dated Garand is not out of line. With rare exceptions, the only ones even close to having the "right" parts are the post-Korea manufactured ones that didn't lead a hard life of combat conditions with corrosive primers. If you're into the rifle for a direct link to the WWII history that is often the prime focus of M1 collecting, you pretty much have to Hoover them up when you find them, because you won't find them often.

As a shooter though - and even as a collector in some ways - I tend to regard later as better - if not necessarily cooler. They were constantly improving the M1 throughout the 20 years of production, and by 1957, they had pretty thoroughly weeded out everything that was less than optimal. No, a 1955 dated rifle is not the Garand that made the world safe for democracy, but it IS the most highly refined version of it you can get, it is a lot more likely to have its original parts in good shape, and it's not going to carry the often hefty WWII era surcharge.

The only correct answer to this is to have more than one Garand!:bigsmyl2:

Mauser48
08-23-2015, 07:17 PM
$1200 for a correct or mostly correct WWII-dated Garand is not out of line. With rare exceptions, the only ones even close to having the "right" parts are the post-Korea manufactured ones that didn't lead a hard life of combat conditions with corrosive primers. If you're into the rifle for a direct link to the WWII history that is often the prime focus of M1 collecting, you pretty much have to Hoover them up when you find them, because you won't find them often.

As a shooter though - and even as a collector in some ways - I tend to regard later as better - if not necessarily cooler. They were constantly improving the M1 throughout the 20 years of production, and by 1957, they had pretty thoroughly weeded out everything that was less than optimal. No, a 1955 dated rifle is not the Garand that made the world safe for democracy, but it IS the most highly refined version of it you can get, it is a lot more likely to have its original parts in good shape, and it's not going to carry the often hefty WWII era surcharge.

The only correct answer to this is to have more than one Garand!:bigsmyl2:

^^^^ thats my plan! Thanks for the help guys!

bob208
08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
I would be very suspect of the collector m1's I know of two shot out ww2 date barrels that were grabbed up by guys making matching ww2 m1's

Electric88
08-24-2015, 01:23 PM
About a year ago I got all my paperwork in line to join up with the CMP so I could go get an m1 garand. I took a half day off work and drove to Camp Perry in Port Clinton in hopes to find an m1 garand that was in decent shape, as I was just looking for a shooter. I was dismayed to see there were 20 people already lined up waiting, but decided to wait it out. They had just received a shipment the day before, and we all hurried in to go look at them. I had heard stories of people finding gems among the field grade rifles, and was hoping for similar success. As it turned out, I came by a rifle that was all Springfield parts, with a ME of 1 and a TE of 2, but had been mismarked. Sure enough, when I took it to the counter, the guy confirmed this was the case, and I hurriedly told him that that was the one. I walked away a very very happy guy that day :D

I guess the point in that was to make the voyage if at all possible and scour the racks for your gem. Otherwise, go for it! An m1 garand is (in my opinion) the sexiest rifle made by man, and I hope to pass it on to my son one day.

seagiant
08-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Garands have gone through the roof ,to me!

You won't lose money that's for sure!

I bought a USMC Match .308 (Douglas Barrel) from Old Corps Weaponry (Roland Beaver) in 1992 for $1400!

I'd value it at close to $3000 today?

It has a custom extended laminated stock and shoots 3/4" groups with handloads!

Just sayin,get one to shoot and enjoy it!

Scharfschuetze
08-24-2015, 10:07 PM
My IHC M1 was built into a match rifle by Roland Beaver back when his shop was in Delta, Colorado and before he used the name Old Corps Armory. He was a match armorer for the USMC and his work shows it. That was about 1977 or so.

While its throat is a bit on the worn side now, it's still a great shooter and fun rifle, even if not up to competing at 600 yards anymore. I brought home many trophies from local level competition with it.

Gunslingerdoc
08-25-2015, 10:55 AM
I have an M1A Roland Beaver did for me as well...double lugged it at the time. It was a bear finding a good load for it - lots of swapping gas pistons, but finally got her settled down...Ah, the service rifle days!

Mauser48
08-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Well me and the seller made a deal. It looks like I got a very nice piece of history to go with my 1903-A3!

Scharfschuetze
08-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Good on you Mauser48!

When you start loading for her, you'll find several threads on the subject here, as you probably already know. We look forward to some good photos and a range report when you get the rifle and when you start shooting her.

Mauser48
08-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Good on you Mauser48!

When you start loading for her, you'll find several threads on the subject here, as you probably already know. We look forward to some good photos and a range report when you get the rifle and when you start shooting her.

Will do! I got the springfield almost a year ago and knew I wanted an m1 next so I started loading m2 ball spec ammo from the start. Cant wait to shoot it!

seagiant
08-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Hi,
Remember IMR 4895 is your friend!!!

Mauser48
08-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Hi,
Remember IMR 4895 is your friend!!!

I have been using 4064 because I use it in all my other rifle cartridges.

seagiant
08-27-2015, 12:51 AM
I have been using 4064 because I use it in all my other rifle cartridges.

Hi,
I'll stick my neck out and say IMR 4895 will be more accurate!

Scharfschuetze
08-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Hard to say. Both powders are good choices in the Garand. Still, I normally opt for 4895 for jacketed bullets and I'm currently using a non-canister grade for heavy cast boolits (311299 of 203 grains). It tends to fall between 4895 and 4064 as far as its burn rate. Best of both worlds I guess.

There is a fairly current thread on using 4831 with heavy boolits in the Garand that may be of interest.

A load that shoots well in the Garand will most likely shoot well in the US 1917 or Springfield rifles too. Makes loading for the old war horses pretty easy.

JMax
08-27-2015, 06:17 PM
I received a Sept 1945 what appears to be unissued from the DCM years ago and have not had the heart to shoot it because it is pristine. I save shooting with my 56 HR.

Mauser48
08-27-2015, 07:02 PM
I will start a new thread with some pics when I receive the rifle next week.

tygar
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Here is a sad story of mine if you'll excuse a trip down memory lane. I was sent TDY (Temporary Duty) to Anniston Army Arsenal, Alabama for an assignment back in 94 or so. The DCM (name at the time for the CMP) had their facility there and if you brought them your DCM M1 Garand, they would try their best to fit it up with all the proper parts so it was "as issued." Well, a week or two before I got there, they had suffered a very negative Inspector General's report and were totally immersed in getting back on track. My dream of an "as issued" DCM M1 Garand died with that IG's report.

I lucked out & had a good phone relationship with the guys at the arsenal & got a 100% correct "Select" grade, 100% "Collectors" grade & already had a 100% correct non DCM, non rework. So have 3 with several others that are nice.

The only problem with the Select, which is almost as new, is a '65 rework date on receiver. But with perfect stock & all orig/correct, mint parts, I have turned down a bunch of money for it.

I even have a "shooting" stock for it so when I feel the urge I swap stocks & put a few rounds thru it.

Not exactly sure what they are going for now but a all correct "Collectors" grade was over 2k(mines kind of ugly) but the non DCM is way up there as with the Select. And since the select was a 1 yr only gun, that puppy is just sitting in the safe.

Forgot to say; The select is one of the last ever made with a 6mil 90k #.