PDA

View Full Version : Improved Ideal Bullet Lubricator and Sizer (Iron Age, Aug 1900)

ohland
08-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Iron Age, vol 66, Aug 30, 1900 page 40 (more like page 509)

https://books.google.com/books?id=rZM-AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA8-PA40&dq=bullet+lubricator&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAmoVChMIhLGOuYq-xwIVBwmSCh1LDwmD#v=onepage&q=bullet%20lubricator&f=false

The ideal Mfg. Company. New Haven, Conn., are just introducing their Ideal improved bullet lubricator and sizer, as here illustrated, which is intended to supersede the one formerly made. The improved machine has a detachable lever, A, in place of the hand wheel, which gives greater leverage, and also permits the power to be applied at any angle most convenient for the operator. The screw pressure of the lubrication is now a pull from the bottom instead of a push from the top, thus removing all pressure from the top piece B and obviating breakage.

There is now no threaded portion on the top of the tube U, nor in the top piece B. The inside pressure screw is not now removed when a new stick of lubricant is required, as in the original machine: the lever A and top B being simply lifted and removed, leaving the screw within the tube in which a new stick may be inserted. By this arrangement those who desire to make their own lubrication can pour it into the tube O, filling it within 1/4 inch from the top, leaving space enough for the pressure nut to be inserted. It is pointed out that home made lubrication should be allowed to cool to the consistency of paste before pouring it into the tube.

Some of the advantages to which they direct attention are that the machine will lubricate and size at the same time. will not soil the hands, requires only one die to lubricate all lengths of bullets of the same diameter, whether the grooves are narrow or wide, has a powerful leverage so that the work is done easily, and that one stick of the lubricant they furnish will grease 500 of the large and 2500 of the small bullets. They can furnish what they call “Ideal Banana Lubricant," which is especially prepared for them, having been tested by use for heat or cold, and it is said not to melt in the warmest weather nor crack in the coldest.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2015, 09:44 PM
I love that sizer, I have a couple of 'em and they get used !
I prefer them for 22 cal. as it has more room for fingers.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/bothSizers1_zps55d1816f.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/bothSizers1_zps55d1816f.jpg.html)

ohland
08-24-2015, 08:37 AM
I love that sizer, I have a couple of 'em and they get used !
I prefer them for 22 cal. as it has more room for fingers.

What is with the replacement springs on the left of the lubricator? Were the originals too much, not enough, or just right?

The strength can't be too critical, one lubricator has two springs in series....

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-24-2015, 01:08 PM
They never had a spring I believe ?
I added these "homemade aftermarket" springs (from my scrap box), I just like the handle to stay up when I let go of it.