PDA

View Full Version : My new saeco pot.

michael m
08-22-2015, 11:47 AM
When I got it I thought about what I should do if it didn't work.

I got home, plugged it in to see if it was "alright", for 1 minute I was happy as I felt heat develop. At one minute and one second, there were sparks, a little flame, and finally a little smoke from the dial area. It died.

I read in this forum about a new b-200 thermostat, so I ordered one and installed it after checking of the heating element. Every thing was lovely, however the full pot of metal was only making 675 degrees max. The switch was maxed out.

I raised the temp to 725(good enough to cast) by making a pot lid/cover from some .050 t-6 aluminum sheet.

Every thing is good now.

lobowolf761
08-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Was it new or used when you got it?

michael m
08-22-2015, 01:06 PM
used, got it at yard sale.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Saeco pots are not new and I don't know when they last were produced, but they were in production for quite a while. They were well made...I believe by Ohio Thermal which also made the Lyman pots....the Moldmaster and XX. Solid quality and built to go a long time/way. If anything went it usually was in the electrics department and anything/everything can be replaced. Parts are available from a number of sources or substitute items that work just as well as the originals. Searches on the forum can turn up whatever information you might need as well as how to install etc. Any Saeco pot is worth rebuilding. I have an original from the late 70's and it is still working as well as the day I bought it. Spray coat any of the outside metal parts with Rustoleum High heat BBQ paint to keep the rust away. Original thermo usually went up to 850-900 degrees which is more than enough for casting. LLS

therealhitman
08-22-2015, 09:32 PM
My old trusty Saeco 24 did the same thing mid July. But I had been waiting for it to fail for years so I could justify a 20 lb bottom pour. My new Pro Melt rocks. I do miss the Saeco ...just a little.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
I have a buddy that found one at a estate sale, paid $20.00 bucks for it full of lead. Went home pluged it in and worked like a charm. It looks brand new.