PDA

View Full Version : Recent Improvements In .30 Caliber Reduced Load (American Rifleman, Apr 1905)

ohland
08-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Recent Improvements In The .30 Caliber Reduced Load. An article by Dr Walter Guy Hudson

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z5cwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA50&dq=krag+308268&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMIv9fvsee8xwIVhA-SCh2kBwb1#v=onepage&q=krag%20308268&f=false

American Rifleman, vol 38, No 3, April 27, 1905, pages 50-51

The more general adoption of the Krag by the various state military organizations has made this subject one of increasing interest, and it has caused many skilled riflemen to devote more or less attention to improving our reloaded ammunition. Important improvements have resulted, many of which I take pleasure in recording rather as a compiler than as an originator, and with a sincere admiration for the ingenious ideas of brother riflemen.

The principal aim in these developments has been the production of a home-made, cast bullet load having greater energy than those heretofore in use, the most powerful of which, up to very recently, have been the series of bullets designed by the writer—Ideal bullets Nos. 308256, 308259, 308268 and 308279, with 15 to 16 grains weight of Marksman powder. I have received assurances from many sources that these have given no little satisfaction and help to many small (and large) military organizations. But except on very quiet days, they do not give sufficient energy to afford really satisfactory practice at ranges beyond 300 yards, and this is particularly noticeable because the service load has been brought to so high a degree of excellence at the 500 and 600-yard ranges.

Many of us looked for better alloys, others tried wads of various kinds back of the bullet, and others filled up the space ahead of the powder charge with cotton, asbestos, sawdust, etc., all to no purpose. It remained for J. H. Keough, one of the 1903 Palma trophy team men (and the man with the. highest score at that) to show that if the air space in front of the powder charge was filled with some starch-containing cereal like that sold in grocery stores under the name of cream of wheat, the fusion troubles which previously interfered with our increasing the load were entirely overcome, even to a point where the bullets begin to strip. Mr. Keough imparted his discovery to several other riflemen at the National matches at Fort Riley last year, with the result that several others took up the idea, and at the present time there are several of us working on it in the endeavor to produce more powerful cartridges by its aid.

Sergeant Doyle, of the Seventy-first Regiment, N. G. N. Y., also a Palma team man and probably the best long range wind coach in the country, was the first to perceive that the use of the cereal rendered superfluous my gas-check band on the bullet, and he produced a bullet (No. 308274) of 200 grains in weight, which is very similar in shape to the well-known Thomas bullet, except that it has grooves for lubricant. It is a well balanced bullet, and as it is made sufficiently large in diameter to insure a positive fit, it does very good work, even in the over-sized Krags that are still unfortunately so numerous. Where the shells are always to be used with the cereal, Doyle’s bullet is probably the best of any so far brought out. But when using a powder charge that is loose in the shell, I cannot help believing that my enlarged front band offers many advantages. If a weight of 200 grains is desired, the No. 308279 will give it while retaining the enlarged front band, and does good work also with the cereal, but not quite so good as Doyle’s.

The powder charge developed by Doyle consisted of 14 to 15 grains weight of Sharpshooter powder, giving a velocity of about 1450 foot seconds, and the recovered bullets showed no fusion (owing to the cereal), while the accuracy was good at 200 and 300 yards, and fairly good at 500 and 600 yards. But when the ammunition was submitted to the makers of the powder for trial, it was found that the pressures developed greatly exceeded even the full service load, and were high enough to cause the company to condemn it and to decline to be responsible for accidents resulting from the obliteration of the air space either in this way or in any other. But the idea still impressed me as being worthy of further development, and I resolved to try slower burning powders that would be more normal to the conditions of pressure produced by the lessened air space.

Lightning and W. A. appeared to be steps in this direction, and through the courtesy of the Seventy-first Regiment I was enabled to use their water tank in order to determine how far the load could be increased before troubles from fusion or stripping developed. It was found that slight evidences of stripping appeared when 20 grains of Lightning were passed, which became marked at 22 grains. There was no fusion, the cereal absolutely preventing it. With the 20-grain load, the pressures as observed by their effect on the primer were not excessive, although I have not yet had a chance to get exact instrumental data on this point.*

* Tests made by the Laflin & Rand Powder Co. since this was written, with cartridges loaded with 20 grains of Lightning powder, balance of shell filled with a cereal, cream of wheat, and the Doyle bullet, gave a mean pressure of 38600 and an extreme of 41,700 pounds.

The report of the ballistic man on velocities showed that the load developed somewhat over 1600 foot seconds, while the accuracy test at 200 yards from the machine rest gave ten shots in a four-inch circle—somewhat better than 14 grains of Sharpshooter. It is true that the old line of bullets with enlarged front bands gave even better accuracy than this without any filling, but here was a load with very satisfactory accuracy, and with sufficient energy to promise really good results at 500 and 600 yards. For that reason we all considered it a distinct advance.

I must here confess to a little disappointment in trying the load at 500 and 600 yards. I made several trips to the range for this purpose, but each time the wind was so strong and unsteady as to put a perhaps unfair tax upon the qualities of the new load. There were puffs of wind that, even with careful watching, would frequently blow the bullets from good service cartridges out into the four ring, and sometimes into the three ring; but such puffs were sufficient to blow the reduced load clear off the target. On the other hand, when the weather conditions have been exceptionally quiet, the 15 or 16 grain Marksman load with almost any of the bullets mentioned weighing in the vicinity of 200 grains—but preferably Ideal bullets Nos. 308268, 308274 or 308279—have given good results at the mid ranges, without any cereal filling. Right here is the stumbling block for many; the service ammunition is at its-best at 500 and 600 yards, and too much is expected of the reduced load in comparison. It should be remembered that before the Krag ammunition had been brought to its present high state of development, no such remarkable mid range shooting with military rifles was ever thought possible as the scores our good shots now roll up on the 500 and 600-yard ranges without giving the matter a second thought; it is not remarkable shooting any more, simply be cause so many are doing it.

Therefore, in judging of the merits of Keough's idea, I think the crucial test should be its adaptability to mid range work under ordinary average weather conditions, and its capability under such conditions of doing good enough work for ordinary military practice shooting. That it will fulfill these requirements I firmly believe from the observations already made, and as Keough is still working on it we may perhaps witness the production of even better results than have yet appeared.

The point I desire to emphasize is, that experiments involving the obliteration of the air space are accompanied by more or less danger to the experimenter, and for that reason should be undertaken with caution and only by experienced riflemen. The manufacturers of the powder have distinctly stated that it is not designed to be so used, and they cannot be held responsible if we blow ourselves up in such investigations. At the same time, there are several of us who are sufficiently interested to assume the risk, and publish an account of successful results. At the present writing the 20-grain Lightning load appears to be the most powerful one successfully used, and the pressures from it appear to be within safe limits; quicker powders, such as Sharpshooter, Unique, and various shotgun powders should not be fired from the shoulder with the cereal, until the pressures they develop are ascertained.

Another development during the past year which has been of great assistance to many rifle men has been the marketing of a suitably prepared alloy for these bullets by the Ideal Mfg. Co., under the name of smokeless alloy. It is the same antimony, lead, and tin mixture I have recommended so long, except that through the aid of an expert metallurgist a small percentage of copper has been combined with it in a permanent alloy. To the man with patience, the preparation of these antimony alloys has never been much trouble, providing he followed the instructions in the Ideal Handbook. But it does require a good deal of heat and some patience to get the antimony thoroughly melted into the lead, and some riflemen have found it easier to prepare the alloy from type metal of known composition instead of attempting to alloy the three primary metals.

Type metal differs so much in composition, however, that it is safer to compare the hardness of the bullet prepared from reduced type metal with one that is known to be right, than to trust to the supposed composition of a given lot of old type. An average composition for type metal (namely type, not blanks or spaces) is 23 per cent antimony, 10 per cent tin, and 67 per cent lead.

ohland
08-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Recent Improvements In The .30 Caliber Reduced Load.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z5cwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA50&dq=krag+308268&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMIv9fvsee8xwIVhA-SCh2kBwb1#v=onepage&q=krag%20308268&f=false

American Rifleman, vol 38, No 3, April 27, 1905, pages 50-51

It is my painful duty to record an unexpected result of the employment of antimony in bullet alloys which has come under my notice, the same having occurred in two different armories where large amounts of ammunition are used in indoor practice during the winter months. Mere recognition of the possibilities of the trouble will immediately suggest effective means for remedying it. The trouble is that, owing to their hardness, these antimony alloys break up into more or less dust on striking the steel deflecting plates generally used as bullet stops in armories, and part of this dust floats about in the air breathed by the markers. Now, antimony is a metal of no small degree of medicinal activity--its best known medicinal salt being the familiar tartar emetic - and the small amount of it inhaled as dust proved sufficient after a time to make the markers quite ill, in a few cases so ill as to entail a prolonged stay in the hospital. Of course it is not difficult to prevent this trouble by any means that will keep the dust from the broken up bullets from reaching the markers, and my chief regret is that I did not foresee and give warning against this contingency before the poor markers came down with the mysterious ailment.

The last, and perhaps the most important development during the past year, is the sub-skirmish load suggested by J. A. Haskell, the details of which will shortly be published in the Sub-Skirmish Booklet, to be issued (free) by the Laflin & Rand Powder Co., Post Office Drawer 1002, Wilmington, Del. The idea is to produce a load so adjusted that skirmish practice can be carried on by means of reduced targets over a range of only 200 yards in length, instead of requiring a 600-yard range as is the case where the service load. is used.

The charge is so adjusted that the 200-yard halt, representing 600 yards, will require 600-yard adjustment of sight; the next halt, requiring 500 yards adjustment, will be approximately 500 feet; and so on down to a point where 200 yards adjustment is required. Yards are thus converted into feet, and the halts staked off in feet instead of yards, while the regular skirmish targets are simply reduced to one—third size. By this means, many schools and colleges who have no more than a 200-yard range will be able to get in a large amount of a very fair substitute for actual skirmish practice, with much-greater safety and far less expense than would be involved in carrying on the skirmish firing over the full distances and with the service load.

The chief obstacle in ‘the way of such a load is the getting rid of the correction provided on the Krag sights for the violent flip or jump of the service load. This flip is not present with reduced loads, and so when they are used the flip correction has to be offset by either raising the rear sight or lowering the front sight exactly one eighth of an inch. If the sights are used without alteration, no halt can be found, however near, that will admit of the sight being set lower than 400 yards. But this obstacle can be easily overcome by using a lower front sight or putting a sub-base under the rear sight. On the 1901 model sight it can be still easier to overcome by painting out the index mark on each side of the peep-hole, with sight black, and making a new index line with white pencil one-eighth inch below it. This will bring the new index line close to the bottom of the metal slip containing the peep-hole. The sub skirmish elevations are then set by the new index.

With this change, I have found that a load consisting of the short (156- grain) bullet No 308279, with 6 6-10 grains of Marksman powder is ideal, working out exactly feet for yards, and admitting of a reduction of the targets to one third size. Such cartridges, if properly made up, feed through the magazine, as readily as the service cartridge; they are cheap and accurate; and the load is so light that skirmish practice can be carried on in places that would be out of the question with the full load.“

An effort is being made to get a load that will meet these requirements without alteration of the sights. If it can be accomplished, the data will be given in The Sub-Skirmish Booklet; if not, the place where the lower front sights or the sub-bases with their screw's can be obtained will be given, as well as any other data that may be of interest in connection with reduced loads for deliberate, rapid fire, and skirmish fire.

Several riflemen have written to me about trouble they have had with reduced load cartridges jamming, or rather loading too hard for rapid fire practice, especially with bullets having the enlarged front band. I have investigated a great many complaints of this nature, and have found that in every case which has come under my notice where the trouble occurred in the Krag, it was either due to not resizing the shells after firing them in another and larger chambered gun, or else to forcing the bullet in so far that the large front band partly entered the mouth of the shell. In the latter case the sticking occurs on account of the flare that is given to the mouth of the shell.

The enlarged front band should come just to the mouth of the shell, but never be forced into it. As to resizing after each shot, it is not necessary if the shells are always used in the same gun. But if they are mixed and used indiscriminately in all the various guns of a military organization, it will be necessary to resize them each time; for after they have been fired in a loose chamber they will be so expanded that they will stick in a tight one. Where the rifleman reloads his own cartridges, it is seldom necessary to resize, for he is using the shells in the one gun. It is here that the enlarged front band is particularly desirable, for it keeps the bullet from dropping into the expanded shell, and the shells last longer and reload easier if they are not resized.

The cleaning solution, the formula for which is given in my book, (Modern Rifle Shooting from the American Stand-point) seems to have given satisfaction to most of those who have used it, whether for use after reduced loads or after the full load. I have heard from several riflemen, however. who have had more or less difficulty in procuring some of the ingredients. One of the ingredients given is astral oil, which is such a common commodity here in New York that I had no idea any one would have difficulty in obtaining it. It is simply a good grade of kerosene, which I have found easier to obtain free from acid than most kerosene. But any kerosene will-do, if freed from acid by shaking it up with a few chunks of quicklime or caustic potash. Others have difficulty in obtaining acetone, but any chemical house worthy of being called such should carry this in stock. If not, amyl acetate which is used largely in making laquers for picture frames may be substituted.

Another cleaning solution, recommended by E H. Madison, of the Thirteenth Regiment, N.G.N.Y., consists of a tablespoonful of caustic potash to two quarts of wood alcohol. Several other shooters, before using my mixture, scrub out the bore with a strong solution of washing soda in water. After any of these methods, it is best to apply some thick grease to the barrel if it is to stand for more than a day or two, and about the cheapest and best for this purpose is gas-engine cylinder oil. Such greases should be removed with gasoline or chloroform before beginning to shoot. There are also a number of secret nitro cleaners on the market, but most riflemen would rather know what they are using; and secrecy in this as with patent medicines is generally for the purpose of selling such mixtures at a fictitious value.

For use on very short ranges, such as indoor gallery ranges in armories, various schemes other than reduced loads have appeared. One of the best of these is an ingeniously designed .22 caliber barrel, brought out by H. M. Pope, of the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co., Chicopee Falls, Mass. Of course, the barrel shows all the fine shooting qualities and exquisite workmanship for which Mr. Pope’s products are famous; but its main feature is that it is bored eccentrically at the breech end, which accomplishes the double purpose of causing the firing pin to strike the rim of the .22 caliber cartridge as required, and brings the cartridge head into such a position that it will engage in the extractor of the Krag without further alteration than the substitution of the .22 caliber barrel for the .30 caliber. This enables gallery practice to be carried on at about the same cost as that of the materials required for preparing reduced loads, saving the labor involved in preparing them. The only disadvantages are that magazine fire cannot be carried on with it, and that somehow it is more difficult to keep men interested in .22 caliber shooting than where the cartridges prepared with the service shell are used. Just why this is so, it would be difficult to say, for Mr. Pope's barrels and the .22 long-rifle cartridges, when good ones are obtained, leave nothing to be desired in the matter of accuracy.

Another scheme followed extensively in New York state is the use of smokeless pistol cartridges, such -as the .32 Colt Police, by the aid of a bushing or shell adapter. That used by New York is the ordinary and familiar steel bushing, made of extra tight fit, but with the neck cut off for the reason that it continually gave trouble in the trials by splitting. Of course by this device there is a great leak of gas past the bullet while, it is passing through that part of the chamber corresponding with the neck of the shell, and there has been any amount of complaint of leading and pitting of the barrels. The use of the bushing can hardly be recommended, for it is difficult to find a single point in its favor that cannot be secured far better by other means.

A better device than the bushing is a shell adapter made and used by the writer a long while ago, and illustrated and described in these columns about a year ago. The illustration is reproduced in Fig. 1. This device holds the cartridge in the neck of the chamber, and the blow of the rifle firing pin is transmitted to the primer by means of an auxiliary firing pin passing through the body of the device. The outer shell is partially split longitudinally, in several places, so as to spring apart and allow the pistol cartridge to be entered and removed from the front of the device.

While looking for some one to market this device, I ran across Messrs. Brayton and Best, of 4 Maiden Lane, N. Y., who had a somewhat similar appliance; and as I was not desirous of pushing it as a matter of profit, I turned the idea over to them and it is now on the market. I understand the British riflemen used a similar device before either Brayton or myself ever thought of this. and in any case the question of priority is of little consequence to me, as I am not looking for financial returns from the device. It shoots well at the gallery distances, but of course the pistol cartridges are more expensive than either the .22 caliber or the reduced loads; It surely ought to be a good thing for the owner of a .30-40 “hunting rifle who wants to avoid loading his own ammunition.

Taking it altogether, the past year has been a profitable one in the matter of ammunition development for our national arm. And the benefit is not measurable alone by the improvements accomplished, for many other shooters, whose work has perhaps not come into prominence through delayed success in accomplishing their object, or whose object has been worked out to a successful issue before they have been able to do it them selves, have nevertheless profited by the training and experience involved in the investigation. The real good comes more from teaching men to reason clearly on ballistic matters, to study cause and effect as applied to rifle shooting; for if a man has trained himself in this way he is much more than a good shot—he is a rifleman.

-W. G. Hudson, M.D.

leebuilder
08-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Facinating, thanks for posting.
Be well

Maven
08-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Did you notice that Sgt. Doyle's design, #308274, is a plain based version of Lyman's #311284?

Ken in Iowa
08-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Did you notice that Sgt. Doyle's design, #308274, is a plain based version of Lyman's #311284?

Yes I did. I bought the NOE 2 cavity 311284 PB/GC combo. I'm looking forward to trying the PB with Unique and 2400.

zarrinvz24
08-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Intersting how much is still applicable after 110 years. The more things change, the more they stay the same.