PDA

View Full Version : Going To Catalog My Books

alamogunr
08-21-2015, 08:45 PM
As the title says, I'm going to buy a book database program to organize my books. Hopefully, it will give my sons some guidance when they have to dispose of them(or keep them if they are so inclined). I have several that are bringing very high prices these days. Whether they will when that day comes is anyone's guess. I also have a lot of woodworking type books in paperback that might be way out of date when that time comes but I want to include them for my benefit.

I'm posting this to ask for suggestions as to a suitable book database, what information to include, etc. Please don't suggest Access. I've tried to use it in the past and got so bogged down I gave up. I've got less patience now than I did then. I have found several free or inexpensive book databases but I'm not sure which are most suitable for me so fire away.

swamp
08-22-2015, 12:03 AM
I used a collection software. It had a number of different formats. Including guns and books. Pretty much fill in the blanks.

Just so you know, you have set yourself a task. Don't try to do it all at once. I had to get away from it and take a break every so often just to keep from going cross-eyed.:bigsmyl2:

The program I used is no longer available. I imagine that there are quite a few out there. Both shareware and sold.

Good luck on the project.
swamp

TXGunNut
08-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Haven't seen a Dewey number on a book in awhile. Library of Congress and other numbering systems are far from universal. Maybe go low-tech with a sticky note inside the front cover?

Omega
08-22-2015, 12:17 AM
There are apps which allow you to enter the ISBN or scan it and it catalogs it itself. I had one long ago for movies, from colectorz.com, it worked great. Just looked on google play and they have one called clz books from the same collectorz.com, its expensive as far as apps go at $14ish but there are others that are free as well.

bearcove
08-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Good luck. I don't have many that are valuable any more thanks to the proliferation of books for sale on amazon. Sold a bunch there though. My collection is limited to boats fishing hunting and of course guns, now. Trying to move and have 10 book boxes to take with me.

alamogunr
08-22-2015, 12:52 AM
I have maybe 25-30 that could be considered valuable(at least by my standards) out of a total of approximately 300+/_. The rest are valuable to me as resources. Plus I'm a packrat.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll start looking at some of the recommendations.

big bore 99
08-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Had good results with DBase lll.