PDA

View Full Version : Rem rb no. 1 firing pin question

labradigger1
08-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Finally got everything I need to start shooting my 43 Spanish. Mold, bp, Jameson brass.
The rifle had a broken firing pin so I turned a new one from drill rod matching the dimentions of the old one.
I have been researching and the firing pin protrusion should be .050, this I have exactly. The face of the pin has been rounded over. After assy I noticed the firing pin hole is evidently worn as the relationship to the pin is sloppy.
Here is my problem. I can load empty cases with LR primers and they will fire EVERY time.
When I load a cartridge with 70 grains of goex 2f by weight, trickle through a 24" drop tube, use LR primers and seat a Lyman 375 grain 439186 boolit, seat and crimp then insert the completed cartridges into chamber and try to fire I get a slight dimple in the primer. No ignition, nada, zip!
More info,
Boolits are unsized, lined with Tc boolit lube. Chamber perfectly.
I tried 3 different brands of LR primers just in case, cci, win and federal.
Hammer tension is strong and hits hard.
Headspace appears to be correct as far as I can tell w/o gauges.
Rim thickness is .090 as per specs.
Brass is new Jameson unfurled brass.
Any thoughts as to my issue? Only thing I can think of is I need more pin protrusion or perhaps use LP primers as they are supposed to be softer.
Could the oversized pin hold in the block cause this?
Thanks, lab

labradigger1
08-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Please excuse any typos. Stupid auto correct hasn't learned the boolit lingo yet.

flounderman
08-21-2015, 07:58 PM
A wild guess would be headspace is loose and the bullet is holding the case back and it cushions the firing pin impact by moving ahead. Try seating the bullets deeper. See if it will close with a layer or two of paper over the head of the case and try firing it that way.

ndnchf
08-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Lab - when you showed me your rifle, I noticed that the hammer spring was much lighter than my #1. I suspect someone messed with the spring and it's too light. You can get an original spring from Ken Womack. I think that will solve your problem. Steve

labradigger1
08-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Lab - when you showed me your rifle, I noticed that the hammer spring was much lighter than my #1. I suspect someone messed with the spring and it's too light. You can get an original spring from Ken Womack. I think that will solve your problem. Steve

Good point. I will check into it now.

labradigger1
08-22-2015, 09:14 PM
A wild guess would be headspace is loose and the bullet is holding the case back and it cushions the firing pin impact by moving ahead. Try seating the bullets deeper. See if it will close with a layer or two of paper over the head of the case and try firing it that way.

I tried the paper trick. Still no joy.

labradigger1
08-22-2015, 09:16 PM

I checked the hammer spring tonight and it looks unaltered in every way.
I also fire formed some brass and loaded them. Still won't fire.
I ordered a new firing pin and will try that next.

leadman
08-22-2015, 10:22 PM
The breech block needs to be fully closed on a RB for the hammer to fall hard enough to set off the primer. Make sure the cartridge is seating all the way forward in the chamber and that the breech block is closed the same as when there is no case in the chamber.
If this is the problem you should see a drag mark on the part of the hammer that rolls forward and locks the breech block.
This happens with my RBs when I load the boolit too far out. I try for only a few thousands between the rifling and the boolit but sometimes I get it wrong.

labradigger1
08-22-2015, 10:46 PM
The breech block needs to be fully closed on a RB for the hammer to fall hard enough to set off the primer. Make sure the cartridge is seating all the way forward in the chamber and that the breech block is closed the same as when there is no case in the chamber.
If this is the problem you should see a drag mark on the part of the hammer that rolls forward and locks the breech block.
This happens with my RBs when I load the boolit too far out. I try for only a few thousands between the rifling and the boolit but sometimes I get it wrong.

I checked that earlier this evening and the block closes fully.

labradigger1
08-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Ok, I tried ordering a firing pin and ken Womack says nobody in the world is making them for a no. 1 rotary extractor. I turned one out in the lathe last night and left the pin protrusion .070, the old one was .050.
Tonight I loaded up 10 43 Spanish cartridges with a case full of goex 2f, Lyman unsized 439186 and lubed with Tc bore butter. Results were bang all ten shots. WOOO-HOOO!
My primers are backed out a little on almost all rounds. New Jamison brass.
Could it be a headspace issue or perhaps a low pressure round due to bp?
Thoughts are appreciated as I am just learning bpcr. (Btw, these are fun)
Lab