PDA

View Full Version : 'another' Lyman 'M' die thread

Czech_too
08-20-2015, 07:37 PM
How many of us have checked our 'M' dies to see if the expander plug(s) have been unscrewing during the course of our using them? I know I hadn't, that is until today when one came off of the stem and got stuck in a case neck! I did manage to remove the plug though I lost the case in the process.

This could be a case of my not reading the directions if they came with any. Bah, I don't need no stinkin' directions.

One more use for Loctite says I.

dragon813gt
08-20-2015, 07:46 PM
I check at the beginning of each session. If it starts backing out I notice it in the press handle. Start hitting it earlier in the stroke.

Ken in Iowa
08-20-2015, 11:04 PM
I use Locktite and check when I start a session. Using the eraser end of a pencil works well.

The NOE plugs in the Lee universal expander don't have this problem.

TCFAN
08-21-2015, 12:18 AM
I use locktite on all my M-dies before they go in the press for the first time............Terry

dromia
08-21-2015, 02:10 AM
The NOE plugs are far easier to use and as has been said they negate this specific issue.

MGnoob
08-21-2015, 08:34 AM
I lock tited my M die day one when it came loose. Other than clean with a q-tip and alcohol I've never played with it again.
After a few mishaps, I lock tite and tighten everything when new.

bedbugbilly
08-21-2015, 10:17 AM
I have 2 or 3 different "M" dies and I usually check each time before using - but - I'm not loading large quantities either like a lot of folks.

I'e heard nothing but good things about the NOE plugs and am planning on ordering a couple to try out. If they are made like their molds - then top quality all the way!

Maximumbob54
08-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Guess I have another chore to do this weekend. I have about a dozen M dies to check...

rockshooter
08-22-2015, 12:31 AM
I also loctite mine in when I first get them- it used to drive me crazy trying to keep them tight
Loren

gloob
08-24-2015, 12:27 AM
After I acquired a comprehensive set of O rings, I have gone to installing an O ring between the plug and the stem and between the stem lock nut and die body. This does the same thing as Lee dies - locks things down but allows for easy adjustments/swaps. Before that, I was making leather washers which were just ok. The O rings are great.

RedHawk357Mag
08-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Teflon tape here. That stuff plumbers use on your water pipes.

Motor
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
This is probably the 3rd thread on this very topic in as many months. Personally I use the same die body and stem for both .308 cal. and .311 cal. expanders so loc tight is no good for me. I use Teflon thread tape instead. They never move but are still easy to change.

Motor