PDA

View Full Version : A proper grip

Blackwater
08-19-2015, 02:25 PM
An awful lot of folks are getting into shooting now that really haven't, or haven't had the opportunity or motivation to for a long time, so their experience is often less than extensive. Others may have shot for a long time, but have simply been too busy (welcome to "the new millenium!") to really give a whole lot of thought to HOW we shoot our pistols. For any of these, and for you older "pros" who can contribute more or argue the fine points, I make this post.

What I've found in my experience, having taught a good many folks to shoot handguns, is that many if not most of us tend to rely a little TOO much on the sight alignment issue, and forget the other parts of pulling a trigger on a handgun. In my own experience, I've had the best and most success trying to teach newer handgunners to shoot by "feel" - a more tactile technique than I usually see others using. It has really worked well, and I post it here for any and all's consideration. If you try it, it may feel a little different at first, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that what feels a bit "out of the ordinary" at first sometimes has proven golden in the long run. I just haven't been so hard-headed that I'd keep doing the same thing in the same way and expecting different results.

It's really pretty simple. All I do is first ensure the grips on the gun are appropriate to the shooter's hand size, and that trigger reach is appropriate to finger length. Stretching and reaching will ALWAYS be a near insurmountable problem if one chooses the wrong size grip or trigger reach. The hand should learn to grip the gun the same way every time. I've found smooth grips help this, and if a quick grab doesn't put it in the right position for the first shot, it'll usually slide right into place for a 2nd. round. I like checkering, but I've come to prefer non-checkered smooth grips on just about all my handguns. They just tend to work a little better, but only IF they fit the hand well. It's best to buy a slightly larger grip and sand it down to the right dimensions. Just have the person hold the gun in their hands, and note how the girth affects where and how they hold it, and how it'll react with recoil. If a grip makes the shooter have to re-grip to have the same grip, they'll get vertical dispersion, always, that will be habitual and keep coming up no matter how "grooved in" they get with those grips.

Once you've got a good fit of hand to gun, so that the trigger finger isn't cramped by the middle finger of the shooting hand, and the girth puts the trigger finger in the right position for a good and consistent trigger pull that won't make the gun shift in the hand with subsequent shots, you're ready to start shooting.

At that point, I've already told them to close their eyes and to concentrate on how it feels when their hand is in the proper shooting position. I take what they usually think is too much time on this, but after fitting the grips to their hand, they'll usually do it anyway, and subsequently benefit from it.

Then we go to the target, and learn to grip with the right PRESSURE on each finger. This is a step many poo poo, but is really essential for really consistent performance, especially early on. The middle finger and thumb are the primary pressure points in gripping a handgun. The ring finger should grip with a little less force, and the pinky should be less still - almost just laying there at the beginning. This simply helps get a straight back trigger pull, especially at first. Many complain it's difficult to do this, but I'm insistent, and if I can get them to do it, they'll later come back and often say, "I see why you made me grip it like that. I'm shooting much better now." As we begin shooting, I get them introduced and concentrated on sight alighment and a straight back trigger pull, and a good follow through where the muzzle doesn't suddenly dip down on trigger release. That muzzle dip is almost always caused by too much pressure by the pinky finger, and really is a mild (but still consequential) form of a flinch. I always have them wear plugs and a muff, and women in particular seem to be amazed at how easy it really is to shoot well when you're not afraid of that big "boom" at the trigger pull. Finger pressure, and in particular differential pressure with each grip of the gun for another round, can and really does make a sometimes huge difference in the kinds of groups you can shoot. The worst part, is if you do that in practice, you'll almost surely do that if you ever have to shoot for keeps! That ain't no small thing! In a real fight, only hits count, and we "fight like we train" to quote an often heard truism of today's fighting men.

We often take the subtlties of our grip and the grips on our guns too lightly, but they CAN and actually DO affect how good we ALLOW ourselves to become. I've usually found that we often "like the feel" of grips that are a bit too small or too large (too large is more common) than we really should be using. Bigger stocks spread recoil out more, but the price for that is we can't hit with them as well or as consistently.

Grips and grip size and conformation is something that really isn't talked about much these days. Making grips expressly fit an individual hand can't be done via mass production methods, and all the advertising we see is geared to exactly that - what CAN be mass produced. However, some good thought, observation and analysis, and cautious application of some sandpaper really CAN make us almost instantly better shooters. It's amazing how much difference it can make sometimes. Just be sure your grips place your fingers in the right position to not cramp each other, and to allow a good, straight back trigger pull, minimize the lower two fingers' effect on the grip by ovaling out the bottom of the grips, and you may well find that, if you go slowly and use caution, you'll be able to become a better and more consistent shot almost instantly, and those "fliers" will become much more rare. Nothing will eliminate them ALL, but they really CAN and likely WILL be minimized greatly by some very simple things and a little close observation and thought and analysis. Once you've got a good set of grips that really fit you, don't sell them off, but get a spare set if you sell that gun, and replace them with your spare set. Nobody will complain, and if you get another, you'll have the grips that make it fit your hand already in stock. Don't ask how I learned THAT one, though!

stu1ritter
08-19-2015, 10:00 PM
Blackwater, would you please explain what you mean by: "The middle finger and thumb are the primary pressure points in gripping a handgun". I understand the middle finger, but not the thumb.

thanks,
Stu

Blackwater
08-21-2015, 10:16 PM
The thumb just stabilizes the grip with the fingers, and the pressure exereted by it can affect POI when you're gripping the pistol. I try to keep the tip of my thumb rather neutral in pressure on the grip. This seems to give me the best consistency in groups and POI. Pressure with the tip of the thumb on the grip can cause sidewise POI variations.

Another thing I didn't say is that as the gun recoils, assuming the recoil is significant, one's grip should automatically tighten as the gun rises in recoil. This is a pretty natural response to recoil anyway, but being conscious of it will always help your consistency. Grip strength, generally, should be firm, but NOT firm enough to induce tremor. That's too tight! The firm grip should be with the web of the hand and middle finger, and the ring and pinky fingers should be moderately firm, but constant in pressure. Any variation in pressure with those fingers will yield varying POI, and thus, larger groups.

Two guns that, IMO, will teach a proper grip, are the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and the 1911 .45. The double shuffle recoil of the .45 will help learn a good, consistent follow through, while the SB will really teach you a firm, solid and consistent grip. Without a good, firm, solid and consistent grip, vertical stringing and other faults will result. Once you have a good grip, all that's left is learning to squeeze the trigger and let go at just the right moment, and learning sight alignment and follow through. This will make a huge difference in one's shooting, compared to what I'm seeing in most people's handgun shooting. It just takes focus, really, and a significant but far from unattainable degree of concentration and pure ol' intent to get good with the gun. It's really not all that hard to do. It's just hard to WANT to, it seems. I have a feeling that less than 10% of us are really shooting up to our realistic potential, and these "little things" have been the key for myself, and everybody else that I know who has become a really good shot with a handgun. It's mostly in the grip, just like in golf. It's just so simple that most people just can't realize how really important these factors really are, and it's hard for most folks to really apply these simple principles unless they DO realize just how important they are. Give it a try. It may not be really easy at first, but once you experiment, and find your own "firm and consistent" grip, I think you'll see your groups tighten significantly, and your consistency will be surprisingly good. It's worked that way for everyone I've taught this to that has actually applied these principles, and IF one will just do that, I can't see why or how it wouldn't work for just about everybody. It's just a matter of simple training, really, bolstered by thought and an understanding of how our hands work through the whole process of shooting a handgun. The grip is really where accuracy is determined, and consistency lies. You just can't grip a gun differently from session to session or round to round, and get consistent results. Give it a try. That should help convince you of the real importance of a grip, and in the process, you may well discover that your grips need a little modification with some sandpaper. Just go slow with it because an awfully small amount of removal can mean a big difference in the grip and feel. You can't put it back once you've removed it, but going slow should really open up your eyes as to what can really be done with your grips that can affect how and how well you shoot. It's a whole big ol' mass of subtleties that are easily missed in casual shooting, but they can really pay off with a little motivation, investigation and trials. That's the way we get better at everything we do, really, if you just stop to think about it, and being good with a gun makes us a LOT better in reactive situations, such as when we're in a real life self defense situation. As the current saying goes, "we fight like we train," and only GOOD practice/training will yield really good results when and if the balloon goes up one day. And it really could. Nobody expects a SD situation to crop up, or we'd arrange to be elsewhere when it happens, so you'll be doing what you've trained yourself to do on the range and in the woods. That's been proven time and time again, yet most people go to a range and use slow, sighted fire to "train" themselves. That's seldom what they do in a real SD situation, and 'little things' like grip and how you've practiced will likely make a BIG difference in how you do when and if you have to shoot under stress. Look at how cops, who usually train on set courses of fire with plenty of time to aim and fire perform in real world engagements. Much less than 10% of their shots are hits on the real streets! Efforts are being made to get cops to train differently, and better, but they're meeting with a great deal of resistence due to many cops who are well placed in the administrative sections just plain not being able to pass realistic courses, and they're certainly not going to institute courses of fire they can't pass, and simply don't think are "necessary." The recent muslim attempt at a mass shooting in Texas was stopped almost immediately by a single deputy who was able to stop it in short order with a couple of really good shots. THAT is a BIG difference! And it's really not all that hard to attain that level of performance. For one thing, when you KNOW you can do it, you don't get nearly as alarmed or flustered, and you really CAN place your shots with speed AND effectiveness. There's just NO substitute for that in the real world, on game or in SD situations. Paper targets are good for learning the bare basics, but more varied and innovative shooting prepares us MUCH better for real life scenarios in the field or on the streets, and it all really begins with a good, consistent, firm grip. I don't necessarily have any more experience than many, but I've paid very close attention to what I HAVE seen and done, and the results, and this is what I have learned and observed over the past 40+ years, both in my own case and in teaching others, and in talking with the finest shots I've been able to shoot with. I'm not the very best, but I'm not chopped liver, and I've learned that confidence in my abilities enables me to handle things in a very much more competent and effective manner than if I wasn't sure of my abilities with the handgun. That ain't no small thing! So give these things a try, and sort it out on your own, and just find out what YOUR very best grip turns out to be. As long as it's consistent, and you grip it the same way every time, I think you'll be very pleased with your results, and your confidence level will be enhanced significantly. Especially if you practice "turn and shoot" type scenarios. You can do this on bullseye targets at a range. Just have a buddy give you commands, and turn and shoot. This will really instill confidence, and "groove" your response should you ever really NEED it one day. These things really DO matter, as the Texas cop demonstrated. We hear little about him, but that's probably because it's not PC to be really good with a gun these days? I dunno, but that sure seems not to be much of a priority for most folks today, even many of us shooters. I frankly don't understand that, but then, there are many things I really don't understand these days ... .or want to. Good luck. I think it'll come with a little persistence. It always has in my experience, at least.

TXGunNut
08-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I've heard the "Texas cop" is a former Dalllas PD tactical officer and those guys are truly world-class shooters and tac officers. I don't have the contacts I used to have but I believe this to be true, certainly makes sense.
When I was an active comp shooter I'd hit a slump now and then. I'd always go back to the basics; grip, sight alignment and trigger control. More often than not I was having grip issues.
Thumb position is very important IMHO, Stu. Some folks like a "thumb high" grip, some want to point it at the target and some (like me) try to touch my middle finger with it. If you'll shoot a group using each variation you will see a difference in POI. When I shot BE w/ a 1911 the ''thumb high" position worked well but with defense loads I would often accidentally engage the thumb safety, bad news in a SD situation. With my thumb low I can also grip the gun tighter, an important point when shooting alloy frame 1911's and big bore revolvers.

FergusonTO35
08-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Excellent advice here, thanks for taking the time to share it. I struggle alot with my grip and trigger pull but am slowly getting better. Another gun that is a stern teacher is Glock. This pistol is deadly accurate and boringly consistent when I'm on, punishing when I'm off.

44man
08-22-2015, 10:02 AM
A great post. I don't shoot autos much unless a friend brings one or I build one. I am a revolver shooter. What has been said is exactly why I hate some grips. S&W 29, RH and Bisley. I can't maintain the exact grip with them. It only takes a few thou off to ruin things.
It is why I hate when a guy says the gun "rolls" nicely.

ole 5 hole group
08-22-2015, 12:32 PM
On a 1911 you can stipple (spelling?) the front strap - meaning the checkering has to be rough & sharp. When you grip the 1911 you will feel just a bit of discomfort the harder you squeeze.

Find a discomfort level (for lack of a better term) that suits you and always use that grip pressure - always worked for me when I shot 2700 matches.

FergusonTO35
08-22-2015, 10:32 PM
With my medium frame revolvers, the grips that work besfofor me are just standard wood grips. Finger grooves and weird contours force me to grip the gun in a way other than what works best for me. I reduced the worthless finger bumps on my Glock 19 and 26 down to gently rolling hills and heat textured them for traction.