View Full Version : Grip bushing problems

Ragnarok
08-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I own a 'Colt' Government Model .22 1911 clone pistol. One of the newer Umarex/Walther made versions(pot-metal).

Anyhow..I went to remove the plastic grips to install a cool set of fancy checked walnut I had on hand. First screw came loose grip bushing and all!

The other screws came out fine..but the one screw is firmly stuck in the bushing(and grip)....No real way to hold the bushing without potentially buggering the threads. All I can see to do is clean the frame threads and bushing threads and add a bit of loc-tite...put it back together and let the bushing/frame loc-tite dry..then see if the screw will come free from the bushing.

Anybody have a better idea to deal with a stuck in the bushing grip screw?

Skipper
08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
That's what I've done in the past. Might put a drop of Kroil in there if you can get to the screw threads.

jcren
08-19-2015, 03:06 PM
I gripped mine with pliers padded with electrical tape. Barely took any force to break loose.

country gent
08-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Use red locktite if its avaliable. be very carefull here as those threads are very fine and easy to cross thread. Otherwise its going to take destroying the factory grip try to get it apart. The grip bushings are readily available if those are the standard size thread on the clone pistol.

Mk42gunner
08-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Anybody know if the bushings the same size as the ones for the 1911? If so I would just buy a new bushing and stake it in place.

Grip screw bushings were probably the part I replaced (and cussed) the most when we still had 1911A1's in the Navy.

Robert