PDA

View Full Version : Mod-Lula for the Maglula!

Mytmousemalibu
08-19-2015, 02:50 AM
So the other day I finally picked up a Maglula/Uplula magazine loader to keep around. As many of you who have one or used one know its a handy dandy little bugger! The ones that I had used before, friends of mine's loaders, were well used and broke in so to speak. I noticed on the packaging it mentioned the loading beak/spoon thing can chew up the mag followers to some degree and it recommended thumbing in the 1st round to prevent that. Me being the tinker'er that I am I found the beak that presses the follower down just has a rough stamped and sharp edge in edition to a not so smooth black oxide coating. That sharp edge is the main culprit in digging into the followers. So I drove out the hinge pin in the grip to gain access to the loading beak and hit it with a sanding drum on the Dremel and some files and sandpaper to smooth, deburr, and round things up. I followed it up with some felt buff's and jewelers rouge and polished it up real nice. Now it works silky smooth and no digging into the mag followers! One of those little things that trips my OCD switch to find a fix. For a sum total of 15min and stuff I already had, it was a nice improvement and I think it looks pretty sharp to boot! :bigsmyl2:

minmax
08-19-2015, 06:20 AM
That's pretty slick. Do you know if it has problems with polymer mags such as Magpull?

PbHurler
08-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Chris,
You DO know that if the OEM version came with this modification/improvement; They'd have to charge another $20.00....

Good tip!

Mytmousemalibu
08-19-2015, 01:43 PM
That's pretty slick. Do you know if it has problems with polymer mags such as Magpull?

I suppose with any magazine that has a plastic/polymer follower, the metal beak would dig into the follower some and It would likely scratch a metal follower also, hence the modification/polishing job. It would in no way affect or be affected by the magazine body material, only the followers as thats the only part the beak really touches.

I'm not sure which Magpull mags you mean, like the new Glock mags, which I assume this will work fine with. The one pictured above is the 9mm to .45ACP loader. Only for pistol cartridge mags. They make many others. Like .22LR to .380ACP and a bunch of specialty loaders. They do have a specific loader for AR mags/STANAG mags that works like a dream! I know for a fact it works on Magpul's, I will be ordering one. Its called the Striplula.

Mytmousemalibu
08-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Chris,
You DO know that if the OEM version came with this modification/improvement; They'd have to charge another $20.00....

Good tip!

You are probably right! But man these make loading a breeze! Wished I had got one a long time ago! Worth every penny! Now i'm no weenie and I am perfectly capable of thumbing rounds into a mag but when you have a lot of shooting & loading to do, a Maglula sure will make life faster & easier! I have some mags that have some really strong springs in them and to get those last few in can be a struggle, not so with this tool! Nice not having "mag-thumb"!

PbHurler
08-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Now i'm no weenie and I am perfectly capable of thumbing rounds into a mag but when you have a lot of shooting & loading to do, a Maglula sure will make life faster & easier! I have some mags that have some really strong springs in them and to get those last few in can be a struggle, not so with this tool! Nice not having "mag-thumb"!

Agreed! Whether you load one magazine 50 times or 50 magazines once, those last rounds can be boogers in 15-16 count mag's.

They are a darned handy gizmo.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
I have been using these tools for the last 10 years. They are by far the best pistol mag loaders on the market.

I think I have about 3 or 4 of them and they are in my individual pistol bags with those guns. I have never experienced any kind of mag follower destruction since only the first round would get done. After that the beak pushes down on the preceding round.

I also have the Strip Lula for my Mini 14 mags and it only works so so.

However the LuluLoader for AR mags with the lever on the top works great and I have 3 of them as well.

I tend to outfit all my tactical guns as grab and go systems that have everything needed to do battle with that gun in the gun case with the gun. that includes tools, spare parts, cleaning kits, mags , loaders, Ammo. You usually keep the Pmags loaded with the top cap on them that keeps the top round off the feed lips.

This way if push comes to shove I can grab any gun case and have a complete weapons system in the bag that I can run with, and be well armed.

The Mag Lula Loaders are well worth the $25-30 they cost and will save your thumbs from a lot of wear and tear. I have tried ALL of the others and all I can say is they all Suck!

I don't buy multiples of anything that sucks!

Randy

Mytmousemalibu
08-21-2015, 12:26 AM
I agree! They are worth every penny! And yes it's only the initial feed onto a dry mag that there is follower contact, and the contact is taken up by the rounds after that. Mine had a pretty rough edge on the bottom so I just took it upon myself to clean it up by radius-ing the edges over and smoothing it up. That left white metal and the oxide coating behind and it looked kinda ugly so the polishing fixed that and further slicked it up.

The Striplula for AR mags is the bees knees! Not only to unload the 10rd stripper clips that are common among milspec bulk ammo but its still super fast & easy to load the loader with loose rounds and rack'em into a mag. I wished I had been the inventor of these products!

dudel
08-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Great tip, and I'll probably do it.

I've not damaged any followers (knock, knock), but it may be that I squeeze the mag-Lula BEFORE pushing down to insert the round. The release doesn't have any downward pressure to affect the follower. Just a technique that works for me. I can see where you might scratch one if you push down, then squeeze the loader.

W.R.Buchanan
08-23-2015, 04:06 PM
I wished I had been the inventor of these products!

First you would have had to be Jewish and second you would have had to be living in Israel.

These people are the best example of "Necessity is the Mother of Invention!" I have seen.

They learned the hard way that "Freedom, is the willingness to fight at the drop of a Hat," and that "Non Exceptus Excreta," is the only way to be free and stay alive.

And especially in their neck of the woods,,, er,, dirt.

They could have bought any guns that they wanted but instead chose to make their own so they could control the end product and not depend on the fleeting political whims of others.

I admire them greatly! Too bad more of their brethren here don't seem to as much.

Randy

Rick Hodges
08-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Well you made me check mine. It has been used for a few years and it is a smooth as a baby's behind. Perhaps being used a few thousand times polishes it up. No problems with any of my mags either.