PDA

View Full Version : UZI Owners Full Size or Mini

Dutchninja
08-18-2015, 09:40 PM
knocking around the idea of picking up either a full size Uzi or a mini Uzi, preferably a Vector and not a Century one. IWI are out of my price range. I've always liked the look and history, I know they are heavy, obsolete, etc. My use would be just a fun gun that i would eventually SBR but can't decided between the two.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Artful
08-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Full Auto - Full Size
Semi Auto SBR - Mini
Just my $0.02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/383-Copy.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/383-Copy.jpg.html)
Notice - 3 position fun switch

AS a Semi - my experience is the full size looks cool - weighs too much and doesn't really handle well enough for anything except a range toy

airsmithy
08-18-2015, 11:25 PM
It really depends on what you like. Each are nice in their own way. You save a lot of weight going to the mini. To me, the full size is a bit more comfortable. You might check out the Uzi Talk forums.

I like to shoot both the mini and the full size with a wood stock. Much more comfortable to me. The full size, it is easy to change back and forth between the folding and wood stock. The mini, it is either fixed or folding.

If you are willing to go with a used gun, I like the IMI Uzi's build by Vector. The Uzi's built on the Group Industries receivers are ok, but I personally have a preference for the IMI receivers.

Will you be trying to shoot cast boolits? Uzi's tend to have a bit of an oversize, not totally supported chamber. Getting brass to size and reload can be a headache.

Best of luck!

Dave

historicfirearms
08-19-2015, 07:18 AM
I have a full size semi auto and it is a ton of fun to shoot. I have been kicking around the idea of making it into a SBR to make it a little more handy, but it is still going to weigh a lot. As it is, its a fun range toy and pretty accurate for what it is. I put a wooden stock on mine and like it much better than the folding metal stock. I think it looks better but more importantly the wood stock doesn't pinch your cheeks when you shoot.

Dutchninja
08-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Airsmith - yeah I would be casting for it. I'm doing the PC thing for 9mm and 38/357 so no huge issue on the barrel being slightly over sized.

As for the weight and handling, I had a CAI / Wiselite sterling that was fun even though the weight was up there.

Bigslug
08-19-2015, 09:07 AM
I've shot most, if not all of the Uzi full autos. The mini is a poorly-conceived substitute for a regular semi auto pistol. In semi auto, it is a representation of a poorly-conceived substitute for a regular semi auto pistol.

I vote full size.

Char-Gar
08-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Norinco makes a very good Uzi Carbine clone. They are not hard to find and much cheaper than others. Here is mine.

Dutchninja
08-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Well, I've looked at all of the recommendations, but I think Julie Andrews makes a compelling case for the mini and micro.