PDA

View Full Version : Lock and Load Pawl adjustment - HELP

BNE
08-18-2015, 06:51 PM
I know, I know the instructions say not to mess with the pawls, but a friend of mine is new to reloading and asked me to help him with adjusting his dies. I found the brass was not lining up with the dies (By about a quarter inch), so the pawls had already been messed with.....

I read the manual. It assumes that only small adjustments are needed. Do you have advice for how to start from scratch? Should I screw them all the way down and then work with each one individually or is there a better method?

Carrier
08-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Google Bill Morgan youtube video of setting up and tuning the LNL. He goes through on how to set it up and is bang on.

backroad
08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCyYUzymHns&list=PLByND7BRp-e0J7qDS_C9gIzfzEWzn10Hl&index=5 watch this guys vids there are several on hornady ap very helpful.

Carrier
08-18-2015, 07:18 PM
This is the one that shows the pawl adjustment. But would recommend watching all of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UXms1-ZsPnU

ole 5 hole group
08-18-2015, 07:36 PM
My LnL Progressive worked just fine upon arrival - but I had to fine tune it without reading the manual, watching any video or u-tubes. I messed up the paws - read the manual and had it back working perfectly in about 20 minutes. Just takes a little trial & error, a tweak here or there.

I'm sure you will get it spot-on in no time.:smile:

Beef15
08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Even 1/4" off the adjustment will not likely be that large.

The manual states which screw to turn which way in order to advance or retard the position of the shellplate at each end of the ram's travel. Were I home I'd look it up for you, it is in there. Don't force anything. Should be no need to reset. If it is truly ***** call Hornady.

Carrier
08-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Mine was out just enough that a 357 case would catch on decap/resizer die unless I went very slow. After tweaking the pawl adjustment I have no more issues.
Same with the primer system. It was out just a little that I couldn't go through a tube without a jam. After smoothing it out and setting it as Morgan showed I can now go through a tube with no issues.

BNE
08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
This is the one that shows the pawl adjustment. But would recommend watching all of them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UXms1-ZsPnU

GREAT Video, This is eactly what I needed.

Thank you so much.

Carrier
08-19-2015, 03:41 PM
GREAT Video, This is eactly what I needed.

Thank you so much.

You are welcome hope you get the LNL working right. I showed a friend of mine these videos and his was also out of time just a little and now it is very smooth.
I saw a post on another site about how the LNL pawl's are no good and are breaking constantly. Once they are set up properly I really don't think they will be an issue other than normal wear. And the blue ones need to be tweaked and adjusted just as well as the red one does.

Carrier
09-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Did you get that LNL working properly?

r1kk1
09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
And the blue ones need to be tweaked and adjusted just as well as the red one does.

I will let you know when timing needs to be tweaked on my blue one. Haven't done it ever and owned mine since the 80s. My buddy's LNL kept needing pawls adjusted. We mounted it to a better bench using an Inline Fabrication mount. Problem went away. He hasn't touched his in two years and said his powder drops were more consistent. Sometimes flex in a bench causes more problems than we know.

take care

r1kk1

cheese1566
09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
A solid, rigid mount is a must for any press!

I cringe when I see youtube videos of people using presses that flex on the bench. Sometimes it looks they are going to fall off!

I never had issues in my years with ProJectors once set up. I switched to LNL' s and have had no trouble either.

the paws are really there just to move the plate to the next alignment of the ball detent in the shell plate and the detent recess in the sub plate. Once adjusted with correct timing and travel, the detent should correctly align the shell plate to the dies above. I kinda liked the old version the ProJector used in that you could adjust tension on the shellplate with the mounting bolt to give it a smoother travel and less jump into the detent position with minimal powder spill in short pistol cases.

g5m
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Good thread here with good links. Thanks!

EddieNFL
09-05-2015, 05:37 AM
I will let you know when timing needs to be tweaked on my blue one. Haven't done it ever and owned mine since the 80s. My buddy's LNL kept needing pawls adjusted. We mounted it to a better bench using an Inline Fabrication mount. Problem went away. He hasn't touched his in two years and said his powder drops were more consistent. Sometimes flex in a bench causes more problems than we know.

take care

r1kk1

Twenty year old 650. Expect I'll have to adjust any day now.

I did have to adjust once. Dillon sent me an updated platform. Had not touched before...or since.