PDA

View Full Version : scales

usmc1963
08-18-2015, 12:35 PM
i have never used electronic scales what is the best 1 to use at a good price from 25 to 60 bucks

bandsmoyer
08-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I use a Hornady,about 35.00 , works great and goes to 1500gr.

dragon813gt
08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
i have never used electronic scales what is the best 1 to use at a good price from 25 to 60 bucks

None in that price range. I think the GemPro is more than that. If it's not than I apologize. None of the cheap ones are repeatable. Start listing them off and I bought it and most likely threw it away.

There are a lot of reasons they fail. One is automatic shut off. Just as the sensor is warming up the unit shuts off. Most of them will read differently depending on where the weight is placed on the pan. This is a major issue. A lot of them have dead spots on the pan.

Digital scales are one example where you get what you pay for. A scale from PACT, the RCBS Chargemaster series, GemPro and Brian Enos are all quality scales.

hermans
08-18-2015, 02:12 PM
I agree totally with all dragon813gt said. You need to get one with a mains power supply, otherwise the auto shut off to save the batteries, is just a big pain in the back side.

gwpercle
08-18-2015, 02:19 PM
And do not get rid of your beam scale. Cheaper electronic scales tend to malfunction when your right in the middle of something and all things battery powered go belly up when the stores are closed .
Gary

country gent
08-18-2015, 02:19 PM
I have the gem pro 250 and its a very good acurate scales reads to .02 grains. It reads in 5 diffrent scales ( grains grams ounces troy ounces) I found mine on the internet for around $125.00. nice size package and comes with wall power source runs on batteries also, a anti vibration pad, case, a plastic scale pan ( I use an rcbs metal pan) check wight for calibrating. Also has a built in cover. This is actyally a jewelers scales but it works very well for reloading also. I have an older dillon that also is a very good scales. Digitals can be harder to trickle on due to lag time.

spfd1903
08-18-2015, 02:25 PM
In the End Times, when there is no power, and the batteries are gone, you better have a beam scale to weigh boolits by candle light.

bangerjim
08-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Franklin Arsenal digital is repeatable and fairly accurate. I have checked them against my set of NIST certified lab weights and they darned good.

Digitals...............fast/accurate/repeatable. That is what I like over messing with beam scales (I have many of those)

banger

bangerjim
08-18-2015, 02:37 PM
In the End Times, when there is no power, and the batteries are gone, you better have a beam scale to weigh boolits by candle light.

Solar powered charger for NIMH batteries!

Idz
08-18-2015, 03:07 PM
+1 on the Franklin. I've used some pretty fancy scales (look up Sartorius) and have cross-calibrated the Franklin along with linearity checks and it is well within its specs. From the electronic side you are much better off with a battery operated instrument than one attached to the noisy power grid. If you compare the temperature controlled rooms, filtered power systems, and stringent procedures used by NIST labs with the typical garage reloading room you know the Franklin accuracy is about the best you should expect.

mold maker
08-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Have used the FA dig scale since early 2013 with repeatable results. I tried quiet a few that didn't make the grade.
You should have a good balance beam on hand. If for no other reason than to verify the dig occasionally. It will give you peace of mind.

doc1876
08-18-2015, 03:50 PM
I am using the Cabellas XT1500, which is on sale now for 70.00. Every time I check it, it's right.

onefunzr2
08-18-2015, 04:23 PM
WOW, how times have changed! I had no idea dependable and accurate digital powder scales were available for the low, low price of 25 to 60 bucks. I paid $160 20 years ago for a Dillon Precision D-Terminator 1200gr scale that runs on either 9V battery or AC. I use it exclusively to this day. Amortized at $8 per year seems like chump change now. I wonder how long the new models will last?
The Ohaus M5 beam scale that I used since I started reloading has been in storage ever since I upgraded to digital. At first, I decided to keep it as a backup. But that D-Terminator never gave me one lick of trouble. Now I don't know why I'm keeping the M5.

Mytmousemalibu
08-18-2015, 04:56 PM
WOW, how times have changed! I had no idea dependable and accurate digital powder scales were available for the low, low price of 25 to 60 bucks. I paid $160 20 years ago for a Dillon Precision D-Terminator 1200gr scale that runs on either 9V battery or AC. I use it exclusively to this day. Amortized at $8 per year seems like chump change now. I wonder how long the new models will last?
The Ohaus M5 beam scale that I used since I started reloading has been in storage ever since I upgraded to digital. At first, I decided to keep it as a backup. But that D-Terminator never gave me one lick of trouble. Now I don't know why I'm keeping the M5.

Should you decide you don't want to keep that M5, I might be interested in one!

Off topic but, you wouldn't happen to be from Wichita, KS would you?

VHoward
08-18-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14859-c107-g8-b0-p0-ACC_2000_Digital_Scale.aspx
I bought this one after I took a chance on a cheap one from Hornady. The Hornady digital scale I bought for $30 would not repeat any weight reliably. Even it's own calibration weight.

Petrol & Powder
08-18-2015, 05:54 PM
I've been using one of the old Dillon digital scales for years. It has proven to be consistent against check weights, RCBS 5-0-5 (old style) and a very expensive electronic scale that I have access to.
To be honest, most decent electronic scales are more than adequtate for reloading.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2015, 07:50 PM
I have the little FA scale and I think I paid $19.95 for it on sale. it is fine for weighing boolits and powder charges as long as +/-.2 will do.

The thing about digital scales is that they read to .1 and as you keep adding material eventually they change to .2 except you don't know if it is on the high end of .2 or the low end. This works the same way as a Digital Readout on a machine tool.

If the resolution of the readout is .0005" and the readout says 2.000 the actual position of the table could be from 1.9996 to 2.0004 as soon as the thing moves to 2.0005 then the readout should change to reflect that new number. But in order to get it to read 2.001 it will have to move past that number.

With Digital scales you run into the same problem. if the resolution is .1 gr then the readout may vary nearly +/-.2 and still readout the same number.

With a beam scale you can see the results of every kernel of powder added to the scale reflected in visible movement.

The thing about the Inexpensive Electronic Scales is that they are cheap and easy to use and for weighing boolits or powder charges where gnats **** accuracy isn't required they are great.

I use mine all the time, but I also have other ways to weigh stuff as well.

Randy

hc18flyer
08-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I have a Salter Brecknell that I bought 3 years ago, after trying the cheap Hornady. I dislike the shut off/battery saving feature, but have gotten used to it. Once calibrated, and with careful use, it runs extremely close to my RCBS beam scale, but much faster. I use the Lyman pan, with the spout that eliminates the funnel. I am not pushing anything really hard, mostly cast loads for my 8 x 57 and 358 win.
Flyer

oldcanadice
08-19-2015, 02:32 PM
W.R.Buchanan has it. I've quit using mine for load development and am back to my very old Ohaus beam. Ditto for Bullseye in .38 Special. The electronic simply is not accurate & repeatable enough to stay within .1 grain or to make ladder-loads in .3 grain intervals. On the other hand, for quickie things that don't require the precision it is more convenient.

By the way; if you get one, take off your battery-powered watch and keep other radiating stuff away when using an electronic scale, including your FM radio. It's surprising how much that helps.

dragon813gt
08-19-2015, 02:42 PM
The electronic simply is not accurate & repeatable enough to stay within .1 grain or to make ladder-loads in .3 grain intervals.

No, the scale that you were using might not be accurate enough for that task. But there are ones that are. You can't use a blanket statement for electronic scales because they aren't all created equal.

The two I decided to keep both weigh to w/in .1 grains. You can trickle powder onto both of them. An they both match against a beam scale. The really cheap ones are sort of acceptable for weighing bullets. The more costly electronics are perfectly capable of being used to weigh charges.

WALLNUTT
08-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Digital toys. I can read a beam just fine.

oldcanadice
08-20-2015, 12:55 PM
dragon: Absolutely correct. I should have said "The electronic that I have ...". Still; I have looked for lab-grade electronics as good as my Ohaus beam and they are way past my price-point at this late stage of my life.

dilly
08-20-2015, 02:08 PM
I have a JSVG-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C3I2GK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

It's a pretty decent scale.

A technician that comes by my work sometimes has a Gem pro and there's no doubt that it's a good scale. I joke that he should accidentally leave it here someday.

W.R.Buchanan
08-20-2015, 10:27 PM
No, the scale that you were using might not be accurate enough for that task. But there are ones that are. You can't use a blanket statement for electronic scales because they aren't all created equal.

The ones that are $20 are covered by the blanket statement.

Randy

duckey
08-20-2015, 10:31 PM
I have the $35 Hornady scale and have no complaints. It stays on long not to be a pain in the butt.

dragon813gt
08-21-2015, 05:43 AM
The ones that are $20 are covered by the blanket statement.

Randy

I completely agree. You can even up that amount quite a bit before you get to ones that work properly.

dudel
08-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Keep the beam. Batteries fail, gravity doesn't.

Cheap ones are subject to interference from fluorescent lights, need warm up periods, and have questionable sensitivity.

Cut a 1/8" square of paper. Drop it in the pan of your beam scale. See it deflect? Try it on a cheap electronic scale. Try smaller squares.

People worry about repeatable results, and rightly so, but sensitivity is also important, especially if you tickle powder.

The cheap one I have, is only used to count projectiles.

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 06:00 AM
I have the RCBS 750 for 2 yrs. like them. I have some calibration check pins in different weights that I check it with and it has always been dead on.