PDA

View Full Version : Use of wad in breech seating 32-40

stubbicatt
08-18-2015, 11:05 AM
Guys. Wondering about breech seating bullets and then placing a wad over the charge in a 32-40. Wondered if you might share your experiences. I sure don't want to have a repeat of the barrel breach at the Quigley this year.

Thanks.

Clay M
08-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I have never breech seated bullets, but I am sure you don't want air space between the wad and the base of the bullet.

HWall3240
08-18-2015, 12:54 PM
I have never breach seated bullets, but I am sure you don't want air space between the wad and the base of the bullet.

You don't need a wad of any sort when using smokeless. When you get your bullet seated, just be careful when placing the shell in. Are you a member of ASSRA ? Lots and lots of great info on their site. ASSRA.com. You won't be sorry. Dale.

Clay M
08-18-2015, 03:11 PM
I was assuming he was going to be using black powder.
The lube formula I gave you was for black powder.

HWall3240
08-18-2015, 04:04 PM
I was assuming he was going to be using black powder.
The lube formula I gave you was for black powder.
Sorry about that. Old eyes. Dale.

Clay M
08-18-2015, 05:27 PM
I have several .38/55's ,but the Highwall I had Ballard Arms build I have designated black powder only.
I understand it is going to be a real challenge to get it to shoot well. My dear departed shooting buddy had one,and he never could get it to shoot well with black.
Maybe I will dedicate this coming winter to the project.
I have not even bought the mold for it yet. I am sure I will get Steve Brooks to make me a 330gr two dia mold for it. It will be fixed ammo,as I don't care to breech seat.

Expect a challenge with the .32/40 and black powder.
I am sure you are up for it.
There is lots of great information on the web now.

I love a challenge.. that is what keeps me alive now as I am growing older.

stubbicatt
08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks fellas.