PDA

View Full Version : Precut paper patches

oadad
03-31-2008, 01:07 AM
Well I'm finally getting back into PP after a number of years. One thing I have re-learned is how long it takes to trace out and cut out your patches. Years ago (25+) I seem to remember that you could purchase precut patches. Does anyone know if this is still done and if so who is the suppler??

Buckshot
03-31-2008, 02:41 AM
..............I think Montana Precision Swageing does and Buffalo Arms also.

.................Buckshot

pdawg_shooter
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I lay out my patches on one piece of paper, staple it to 9 more and and cut them on a paper cutter. In about 30 min. I can have enough to last for months. As for precut, Every paper stretches different, and even how you roll them changes the length you need. Kind of hard for someone else to cut them for you unless they have a sample bullet or two to guage with.

fatnhappy
04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
I have access to a guillotine at work and could cut your paper into long strips of a predetermined width for you. You would then only need to trim them to length, a paper cutter with a jig would work admirably I would think.

Any opinions here about the desired grain direction of the paper?

PM me if you're interested.

Dean

pdawg_shooter
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I seem to get a little more stretch with patches when the grain runs the long way in the patch. I have loaded both ways and can see no difference in accuracy.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
A paper cutter lets you stack sheets and cut strips with similar orientation. If you staple the strips together at the small end, before cutting and stacking the actual patches, the orientation of the grain can be maintained easily. There are lots of tin cans thick enough to be cut into a patch pattern with good paper shears, NOT TO BE USED IN CUTTING LOTS OF PATCHES, but for initial set up of cutting multiples from the strips with scissors or the paper cutter itself. BvT

willdixon
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Gentlemen:

I'm having a dickens of a time locating really quality paper for patching the 50/90.

RANDOLPH WRIGHT, whom I suppose is the leading expert in the field, says the paper ought to be 0.0021 to 0.0029 inches thick. He says a high rag content is preferred, but 100% rag paper is not required.

Now Buffalo Arms sells some 100% cotton onion skin, and I purchased an order of it (which is not a lot of paper). But it's some they found in a warehouse where it had been sitting for 20 years, and paper DOES deteriorate over time. I simply have no way of knowing whether this is too old or not. Plus, according to my micrometer, it is only 0.0020" thick - a bit on the thin side.

The point is, it MIGHT be okay in spite of its age, and it might be strong enough, although it's a little thin.

But I'd like to find a better source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pdawg_shooter
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Try green bar computer paper. The type with the tractor strip on the edge. It seams to be tougher than most.

willdixon
04-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Thank you, PDAWG.

Do you by any chance know what its weight is? What the cotton content is? How thick it is?

calaloo
04-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Willdixon:

A friend and I found that stash of paper in Maine,I think, Before Buffalo Arms bought up the rest of it. We bought 10 reams of it and I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with the paper.

Bill

willdixon
04-26-2008, 10:36 AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BILL -

Yes, I bought some of it, back when they were advertising that it had been in a warehouse for 20 years. But I was just worried that perhaps it might have deteriorated somewhat over two decades. But you're the second person now who has told me it is fine - so that's great!

Thank you very much.

pdawg_shooter
04-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Thank you, PDAWG.

Do you by any chance know what its weight is? What the cotton content is? How thick it is?

The paper I use is 16#.

Buckshot
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
................My favorite paper was 9# 25% cotton onionskin, more commonly known as airmail paper. It runs about .002". It's very strong when wet, stretchs well and STAYS wrapped. However it is getting extremely hard to find.

There are several excellent papers to be found in art and drafting supply places, but they all seem to jump right over that .002" thickness :-)

.................Buckshot

willdixon
04-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Good morning BUCKSHOT -

I just ordered some 7 pound tracing paper from http://www.amazon.com/Dietrich-Post-TRACING-PAPER-24inx50yd/dp/B000HF2KPG and some 7 1/2 pound tracing paper from http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/07/

These will both be a bit thinner than yours.

But, of course, I don't yet know what I'm doing!