PDA

View Full Version : 'Liberals' Nightmare' tacticool Marlin 336

badge176
08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Just because I can...

i got got the bare action (complete less wood) for a song on GB...

15" quad rail free- float AR tube- cut out sides and bottom to leave top rail, bolted to existing reciever holes. rear sight dovetail filled with insert drilled and tapped for 1 more screw (like a Mega XS scout rail/ forend). Shortened barrel, turned down for Flash hider/ brake off a Romanian PSL/FPK - silver soldered and cross pinned. Part of an AK gas block cut to leave the Bayonet lug. Will have to cut out where that ring would interfere with mag tube, so it'll clock at between 1 and 2 o'clock.

'Wrist Stock' fabricated out of three layers of aluminum plate (center fits inside tangs and has original stock bolt through) with sides bolted in from R & L (contoured to allow grip. At rear will be a rectangle plate welded and D&Td to affix Folding mechanism (to left side) with a shortened M4 receiver extension and collapsible stock. Likely gonna sew a 'rigger gear' fold down outta pack nylon that'll have loops to hold 8-10 rounds on right side of stock. Maybe a single-point sling at the rear of the Wrist-stock below the folder block.

Again, just because I can, and 'cause it'll ruffle the right feathers! Should be handi and compact. Not sure I'd fire it with stock folded...

Rest assured, I already have very pretty 336 in .35 Rem (waffle-top), an 1895 in .45-70 (with gorgeous wood), a 1894 with nice walnut, a pair of Rossi 92s ("his" and "Hers" in .45 Colt and .357 respectively), and at least three other Marlin 336s (or store brand of the same, one being a decent conversion to straight grip and another being a 2/3 mag tube with dusky wood begging for a little TLC).

I had a heap of 'left-over' AR stuff, and had observed an older magazine article with a bent flat-stock pivoting shoulder stock (imagine like a STEN) as a 'trapper" levergun...

badge176
08-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Thinking about the unused tube space in the stock extension... I think I'll cut out a section from the side making a 'window' through which I can stuff a 'finger pouch' with a pull- through, a magnesium fire striking stick, fish line, a few hooks, etc. To access it I'd just need to slide stock off the tube, otherwise the window will be covered by the stock in either the extended or closed position...

also so thinking to mount a Williams receiver sight at the rear (peep) and a Fiber optic front on short, tall ramp.

spray and bake finish all around, maybe see how an Angled Front Grip feels/ works OR a stubby vertical grip!

nagantguy
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Cut to size file to fit paint to match once around the block to see how it works! I like it, please keep us posted.

IraqVet1982
08-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Mossberg makes something similar

http://www.mossberg.com/product/464-spx-centerfire-lever-action-rifle-41026/

badge176
08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
IraqVet1982 I know they do but it's lots of plastic and I cannot imagine how you get anything but 'jaw-weld' on that stock. And mine will mount an AK bayonet... Just because I can!!! Bwah Bwah Ha Haaa!

IraqVet1982
08-17-2015, 05:43 PM
You're right about the plastic, I do like your idea better.

badge176
08-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Tactical weapon light? W/ laser?!

badge176
08-17-2015, 06:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?285597-Are-You-Kidding-Me

castalott
09-18-2015, 07:28 AM
I bought a 336 that someone had powder coated. They did a good job and the gun looks good...except for the places they had to grind the PC off for the parts to fit together. A word to the wise here....the sides of the lever and the sides of the hammer need special attention in small places...

In case you are curious, it is silver with blue trigger, hammer, bands, and sights. I do worry if the heat weakened the action.

oldred
09-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I bought a 336 that someone had powder coated. They did a good job and the gun looks good...except for the places they had to grind the PC off for the parts to fit together. A word to the wise here....the sides of the lever and the sides of the hammer need special attention in small places...

In case you are curious, it is silver with blue trigger, hammer, bands, and sights. I do worry if the heat weakened the action.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think PC cures at around 400 F max? If so that's on the low side of the tempering point for 4140 after heat treating and so it should be quite alright I would think, now if for some reason, such as being in a fire for example, the action was exposed to temperatures above 600 F then you would have some real concerns. Even at 400 F for long periods of time wouldn't be good but for the time it takes to cure the PC shouldn't be a problem. The bottom line is that at the curing temperature for PC and the time it takes to cure you should be fine.

nagantguy
09-18-2015, 10:31 AM
I've pcd a few rifles and one handgun, 400 for 30 mins, I have no worries about u tempering the steal, I may worry o bit if someone else did it and I didn't know their method or temp.

castalott
09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks to you both! Dale