PDA

View Full Version : 9X19 cartridges to be wary of.

Multigunner
08-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Ran across this years ago but didn't give it much thought at the time.

Idea of SMG cartridge was born presumably in late 1920s, but there were some problems, created by the reduced powder space of strengthened cases. A new kind of powder was needed to allow loading with heavier compressed-load charges without exceeding the maximum limit of chamber pressure. The new propellant was presumably VihtaVuori's N 13 (from 1st September 1973 known as N 330. Still in production, and called - inofficially - as "the submachine gun powder"). I don't know, whether the bullets with a weight 8.0 grams were actually adopted. I have met just those with weight 7.5 grams from the war-time loads. There was a severe shortage of copper and lead in Finland during the war-time in 1939 - 45. Half gram of "strategic materials" per bullet means a ton of them when 2 millions of bullets are produced. A daily consumption during the most ardent phases of wars, when life or extinction of Finnish people was at stake.

Not for frail pistols!

Volume of the powder gas, generated by increased charges of "submachine gun powder" burning by the Mendeleyev's principle developed a long-lasting remaining pressure into the bore of submachine gun, where it was beneficial, but also into the pistol bore, where it might be harmful. Some pistols with a short recoil mechanism are designed to shoot loads generating just a low remaining pressure when the breech-bolt starts it's independent movement backwards after "unbolting". Best known example is Mauser C-96 (photo at right): Remaining pressure blows the breech-block back and completes the reloading cycle. Some other handguns, like Luger/Parabellum P-08 and Lahti L-35 (= in your country, Sweden, Husqvarna Model 1940) needs no remaining pressure at all for functioning of action.

Shooting with SMG cartridges could sometimes wreck Parabellum pistol by first shot, and many L-35 pistols in collections have a fracture on their "Achillean heel", below the fulcrum of accelerator lever, on the left side of receiver, behind the barrel. Pistol L-35 without this fracture has presumably never been "Over There" (= in the actual battle). At least it has been never "discharged in anger". Fourth kind of 9 x 19 mm pistols, issued to Finnish Air Force personnel, was omivorous: Safe to shoot with SMG cartridges. It was Browning Hi-Power or F.N. GP-35 with a refined Browning mechanism of action (light barrel and heavy slide, connected with ribs during the high pressure

I may have fired a few rounds of this ammo, or a similar SMG specific cartridge in a P-35 back in the early 70's.
I had picked up a handful of loose rounds dirt cheap at a gun shop. Their was no packaging but the rounds looked okay, old but clean enough.
The rounds I tried out had truncated cone FMJ cupro-nickel bullets. The primers were very hard, requiring two or three strikes from the light pistol hammer fall to ignite.
When the rounds finally fired there was very noticable recoil, felt recoil with standard 9X19 loads was not noticable with the Browning's wide grip.
I was firing into a muddy ditch and where the bullets struck they made a very large hole, like a large shovel full of mud had been dug out. Power level was much like a hot .357 Magnum load. Muzzle blast was impressive.
After three shots I decided these were likely to damage my pistol so I chucked the remaining few rounds in the ocean.

I've also read of a German SMG load that used slow powder and a 130 grain iron core bullet. Someone chrono'ed some of these at 1600 FPS from an MP40 barrel.
I've been told that Israel also loaded some similar 9X19 ammo for use in the Stengun, and Italy loaded a very hot 9mm cartridge for the Berretta SMGs that the Germans prefered for SMG use when they could get it. Its unlikely that much if any of this sort of ammo is still around but you never can tell.

This site
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA7.html
Has a lot of info on Finnland's WW2 weaponry.

bruce drake
08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Known Hot 9mm Subgun Loads.
Spanish 9mm Parabellum. Usually packaged in 25-round thin cardboard boxes. marked on the box "Schmeiser Y Pistola Parabellum" Made for their Star Z70/Z84 SMGs
Pakistani has hot loads for their Stens and Sterlings. SAMCO had them for many years. POF headstamp.
Italy's load is marked M38 on the boxes. It is a WWII loading for their Beretta 38/42 SMGs
Isreali TZZ or IMI marked surplus 115gr are hot as well.
British had a loading marked Mk.2z that was made for their Sterlings that would wear out a regular pistol fed a diet of the stuff.
The Brits also purchased a bunch of stuff from the Austrian ammo firm Hirtenberger that they marked L7A1 which is VERY Hot.
Swedish M39/b was steel-cored and HOT. Originally made for their Swedish K guns. Well-known armor vest piercing capabilities.

OK, I hope that's a start. Not a lot of surplus 9mm on the open market currently but you might find a cache every now and then.

Harry O
08-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Some years ago, I got a box of 9mmx19 cartridges in with a box of other stuff. It had "For H&K P-95" on it and someone had written "Do not use in handguns". Since the H&K P-95 is a handgun, I was confused.

In reading, I noted that the H&K P-95 is a good deal heavier than most handguns. I have also read that H&K has some hot loaded cartridges for their fully-auto carbines. I wonder if the handgun was made heavier so that the cartridges could be used in both. Having a load that would work in one of the guns they carry, but bust another one of the guns they carry would be stupid.

Anyway, I have not fired them (yet).

Ola
08-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Oh, you guys are going to love PTK! In Finland he was considered as "controversial person" or "extreme right-wing".. but you'll love him :)

This is a direct quote from the link above:

I don't know, who called firstly the Stalinists, the Rhino-Communists, the most narrow-minded Reds, the revengeful Descendants of Neanderthalers as "the liberals". His/her sense of humor was ENVIABLE! I am known in Finland as "the maestro of sarcasm": No printed media is daring enough to publish my text (even the most dry scientific articles re interior ballistics) in Finnish. But I must envy the ironical attitude of that Great Humorist, who could name the very most inhuman thoughtful creatures on the Globe as "The Liberals".

Char-Gar
08-17-2015, 12:43 PM
There was black bullets USGI ammo labeled for submachine gun use only. I fired quite a bit of it back in the late 60's with no damage to any firearms. This may not be the same as euro stuff, I really don't know.

Outpost75
08-17-2015, 01:15 PM
In the 1980s during the M9 pistol development and operational test, the activity I worked for scrounged all over Europe for caches of WW2 German ammunition languishing in warehouses, where in many cases the roofs had leaked and the palletized cases had thick accumulations of pigeon dropping, rat turds, decayed roofing and roofing material on them, and the wooden crates on the upper layers had mostly rotted away.

The ammunition was screened out of the debris and piled on the concrete floor, scooped up with a front end loader and tumbled with sand in a cement mixer, then screened again and tumbled in corncob to remove the grit, then loaded in 10mil plastic bag liners sealed in metal drums and re-palletized for shipment back to the US.

Lots of this stuff was the Pistole Patrone '08m.E. steel core, all was steel cased and hot loaded. Bullets weights of the steel core stuff averaged 108 grains and velocity from the 20cm NATO test barrel about 1400 fps.

The Beretta pistols and others gobbled this up by the Gaylord box full. I imagine the Army still has millions of rounds leftover for the next weapon test....

ReloaderFred
08-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Hirtenberger AG, of Hirtenberger, Austria, produced 9x19 ammunition for the British Ministry of Defense from 1990 through 1992, which was for submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was designated L7A1. Up to 12 million rounds were sold on the surplus ammunition market at a later date. ATF issued a notice that this ammunition must not be fired in handguns.

It's identifiable by the headstamp:

12 O'clock position: HP
3 O'clock position: 90, 91 or 92
6 O'clock position: L7A1
9 O'clock position: Nato cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired in handguns.

The box I have is marked "50 Rounds 9mm Ball, L7A1", and "HP 02-12-91". Inside the box is the lot number, SV 3890, and HP 90. It came with the printed warning from ATF to not fire it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Tom Herman
08-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Lots of this stuff was the Pistole Patrone '08m.E. steel core, all was steel cased and hot loaded. Bullets weights of the steel core stuff averaged 108 grains and velocity from the 20cm NATO test barrel about 1400 fps.

The Beretta pistols and others gobbled this up by the Gaylord box full. I imagine the Army still has millions of rounds leftover for the next weapon test....

Very interesting... I remember buying about 500 rounds of this in original WWII packaging back in the 1980's... An article said that the projectiles were likely to have rusted to the cases, and it was suggested to bump them slightly with a seating die to break the corrosion.
I fired some from a WWII Spreewerk P-38, and soon thereafter the slide cover, firing pin, and spring went MIA.
I didn't get hurt, the gun survived, and I miraculously found all the parts and put it back together again.
But, the lesson was learned, and now the ammo is for display only...

AllanD
08-19-2015, 01:59 AM
I picked up a 50cal ammo can of that ammo back in the 80's just after all the dire warnings came out.
I got it CHEAP because of all the hype, worked fine in my steel framed 1911. that colt "O" frame was originally a 38Super
but I had it fitted with a 9mm barrel for cheaper practice.

It was "stout" but not as harsh as some of my 38SA hand loads.

AD