PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Des Moines, Iowa?

waarp8nt
08-16-2015, 06:35 PM
It appears that I may be going there next month for some training. Not quite a days drive from home and I have never been there...quad cities is as far into Iowa as I have been. Looking for extra stuff to do....Gunshops, Mom n Pop stores, tool resale stores, general places to see and/or eat? Yes, I can always google it, but it is not the same as a local persons opinion. FYI...I'm not a big drinker and strip clubs are out as I have a mighty fine Mrs. waarp8nt at home.

waksupi
08-16-2015, 07:24 PM
State museum is nice, Living History Farms, if they are still open after Labor Day.

bangerjim
08-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Iowa......a good place to be from! Born & raised there. But shoveling sunshine in AZ is sure a lot easier!

Enjoy your visit. Google is your friend.

banger

pjames32
08-16-2015, 07:41 PM
It's been 45 years since I graduated from Drake and Des Moines has grown since then. The State Capital was always a good visit. Like Banger I left the Midwest 40 years ago.
Enjoy
PJ

JeffinNZ
08-17-2015, 04:56 AM
It's the home of "The Thunderbolt Kid", Bill Bryson! Just read that book.

Harry O
08-17-2015, 11:18 AM
The best pork tenderloin sandwiches in town:

Smitty’s Tenderloin Shop
1401 Army Post Road
HOURS: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Saturday; closed Sunday

BrentD
08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Late in September, there will be a gunshow at the state fair grounds in DSM. Nothing great, but something to do. There is another up in Cedar Rapids as well, but that's bit of a drive from DSM.

You could bring a squirrel rifle and do some hunting on public grounds. The season opens at the beginning of the month.

Early Saturday mornings at the farmers market downtown is enjoyable. Good food to be had, some nice dogs about.

There are worse places than DSM to be stuck for a while, but not many.

Wots
08-17-2015, 04:59 PM
There is Brownells, about an hour east. Looks like the retail store is not far from opening up.
In the mean time they do have local pickup in Grinnell. The wife is up here on a job, looks like I will have to stock up on primers and powder.

Brett Ross
08-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Brownell's showroom was not open last time I was by and they are not saying when it will be. As far as gun shops, nothing really special to write home about. The state historical museum is good if you are into that sort of thing, lot of civil was stuff. Living history farms is unique but may not be to a Midwesterner. I live about 60 miles southeast of Des Moines, if you are looking to do a bit of shooting, BS or cast boolits.
Tony

waarp8nt
08-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I could swing by Brownell's showroom on the way up without too much trouble. Thinking I will add a trip to the State Museum and Smitty's Tenderloin Shop while in Des Moines.

Tony a BS session may be in order.

Gentlemen...again thanks for the replies and feel free to suggest more!

10x
08-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Only ever met one person from Des Moines and he left there prior to 1910. Said it was a wonderful place but not enough work.
'course it may have changed in the last 115 years......

mac266
08-22-2015, 05:00 AM
Iowa......a good place to be from! Born & raised there. But shoveling sunshine in AZ is sure a lot easier!

banger

Hey Jim, I was born and raised about 30 miles north of Des Moines. ISU is my alma mater!

TXGunNut
08-22-2015, 11:11 AM
I was there in 1988 and 1989 for the PPC nationals. Went to the Iowa Steakhouse with the Dallas team, those guys know where to eat away from home! Probably one of the best steaks I've ever had, if I pass that way again I'll see if they're still around.

waarp8nt
09-15-2015, 05:22 PM
FYI update to members who may be going to this area. I was somewhat excited to about going to Brownells...however, I just got off the phone with a representative...she stated the Brownells showroom just off of I-80 that was supposed to open the Spring 2015 is currently not open. The date for the showroom has been pushed back to the Spring of 2016, currently they are allowing for individual orders to be picked up in person at the I-80 facility.

Paul_R
09-15-2015, 07:47 PM

banger

Amen brother! I grew up on a dairy about an hour west of Des Moines and snow wasn't the only thing I was knee deep in with a shovel. Hey I wonder if Fred Garvin is still working the quad cities...

Ken in Iowa
09-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Oh gee, where to start....

If you are going through the Quad Cities (Davenport, Moline, etc.) the John Browning museum at Rock Island Arsenal is a must see.. On the way there, Simpson, Ltd in Galesburg IL would be fun.

On the Iowa side, the Antique Archeology shop in LeClaire is interesting if you watch American Pickers. We ate at a dynamite restaurant there that overlooked the Mississippi River. The Buffalo Bill museum is right there too. There are a few gunships near I-80. A Google search will help there. As you near Des Moines, there is a Bass Pro that you will pass. Lots of new guns, but no used.

Most of the old time gun stores have dried up in the Des Moines area. JLM on the west side is the notable exception. There is a Scheels store in West Des Moines, Sportsmans Warehouse and Fleet Farm in Ankeny. I think most reloading supplies and ammo are sold at these three stores.

For chow, Iowa Beef Steakhouse has already been mentioned. If you like BBQ, there are several Jethro's restaurants around town. My favorite is Smokey Ds. Woodys Smoke Shack is popular too.

waarp8nt
09-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Jethro's was good. We (classmate and I) hit Sportsmans Warehouse, Fleet Farm and Bass Pro. I liked Sportsmans...prices were very agreeable.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up on the John Browning Museum. My family and I done a tour of the National Parks out West and stopped by the John Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. Depending on when class ends tomorrow I may have to the Rock Island version on the way home.

Thanks for your help!

MJR007
09-17-2015, 03:02 PM
I just got back from Shell Rock, what a good group of people.

tomme boy
09-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Don't forget the Confederate cemetery when you go to the Rock Island Arsenal. Make sure you do not have any weapons in the car. It is an Army base and can be searched. While in Moline, go over to the John Deer Museum. Neat if you are into farming.

Ken in Iowa
09-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Jethro's was good. We (classmate and I) hit Sportsmans Warehouse, Fleet Farm and Bass Pro. I liked Sportsmans...prices were very agreeable.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up on the John Browning Museum. My family and I done a tour of the National Parks out West and stopped by the John Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. Depending on when class ends tomorrow I may have to the Rock Island version on the way home.

Thanks for your help!

Sportsmans gets a lot of my business. There are various discount coupons about that really help. I bought some IMR 8208 XBR a while back. About $25 a pound OTD after coupon.

I trust you you had a good trip overall.

Silfield
09-22-2015, 05:08 AM
It's the home of "The Thunderbolt Kid", Bill Bryson! Just read that book.
I haven't read that one yet, is it good?
"The Lost Continent" was great and starts off in his home town of Des Moines. If I remember right, he was less than complimentary about his home town. Apologies if I have got that wrong as it has been a good few years since I read it.
Funnily enough, Bill Bryson lives about 3 miles from me and I shoot rabbits in the field/paddock next to his house!
http://www.literarynorfolk.co.uk/wramplingham.htm
Very funny and down to earth man in real life.