PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help!!

encoreman
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi guys, I read that a 50/50 beeswax and alox will melt in summer. Is this a true statement? if so what other lube should I use? I am going to order some from white label guy. Any suggestions, feel free to give them. Also which casting book should I get? Concerning gas checks, do you have to use a special die in lubrisizer or mould? I was planning on just casting for pistols to start with and maybe the 30/30 and 30/06 later on. Thanks for all ya'lls help. Mac

9.3X62AL
03-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Melt? It might, if left on a truck dashboard in summer sunshine. It will excrete oil in summer weather, for sure.

Ken O
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I like the White Label Canaberra Red myself. I like to cast and lube several thousand at a time, and when I used the 50/50, they all stuck together, so I needed to keep them separated.

I shoot IDPA, ISPC, SC, etc, and another probem I had was when I picked up my brass the still wet lube in the brass picked up all kinds of dirt and debie. So I use the hard lube and heater now. If you don't shoot that much or cast large quanties at a time, then the 50/50 is just fine and an excellent lube.

DLCTEX
03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
I have 45 ammo(50/50 lube) that has been loaded for 3 years in my garage, we get into the 100+ temps , and have seen no ill effects on the ammo. If it is left in the sunshine you may have problems with lube and powder both. It is best to store lubed ammo bullet down so if there is any lube migration it is outward. DALE

1Shirt
03-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Go with Ken O's recommendation. Very reasonable, works well, and you will be well satisfied.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Alchemist
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
I've never had problems with 50/50 lube...but I've gone to harder lubes that need a heater on the lube-sizer...mostly because the lubed boolits are less messy and the end results seem the same. YMMV

As far as which manual...to start out Lyman's cast bullet manual is probably one of the better references...lots of information on how-to, metallurgy, alloying; as well as load data.

Gas checks don't need special sizer dies, just use the one you normally would for the boolit you're sizing. I seat the check on the shank of the bullet before putting it into the die, usually pressing the boolit into the check on top of the loading bench. Make sure the check is seated squarely on the boolit.

ETA...Gas checks only fit on boolits designed for them...with a smaller section (shank) on the base of the boolit...missed that part of your question until after I posted reply. :oops:

Hope this helps...good luck.

Alchemist