PDA

View Full Version : Are You Kidding Me??

azrednek
08-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I pulled this 30/30 ad up today off of Backpage. This can't be for real, is it??

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/mossberg_464_30-30_zpsva1rtvtv.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/dnisbet/media/mossberg_464_30-30_zpsva1rtvtv.jpg.html)

Blackwater
08-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Ummmm .... that's what some of the guys who read the glossy mags call a "tactical" rifle these days. Just what tactics are involved, I can't say, and they never seem quite able to tell me how they've "improved" the gun, but .... I'm gittin' old, and there's a lot of things I just don't understand these days. Must be "ol' timer's disease" settin' in?

missionary5155
08-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Greetings
Yep that is the way some view a lever rifle. It sure is a different trail I would want to wander.
I can see a bunch of old Spencer and Henry shooters sitting around a fire wondering at those "new fangled Winchesters that neither load from the Butt stock or from the muzzle end but of all places the right side of the frame ! Never gonna work or catch on !"
Mike in Peru

Hickory
08-16-2015, 05:57 PM
It needs a detachable magazine to look authentic.

MBTcustom
08-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Give it a detachable mag, and I'll buy one!!!!
Hey, it's not normal I'll give you that, but it's pretty cost effective, and I don't want to knock it till I try it.
Yes, it is very real.

brtelec
08-16-2015, 07:18 PM
There is obviously a market for this, but that is just plain ugly.

GoodOlBoy
08-16-2015, 07:25 PM
That is the new Mossberg tacti-kool 30-30......

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/464-spx-lever-action-centerfire-rifles/

yeah

GoodOlboy

jonp
08-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Ugly but over 100yrs and going strong.

Camba
08-16-2015, 07:37 PM
It looks like the "chupacabra"
:)

runfiverun
08-16-2015, 08:26 PM
add in a 10 round magazine, a red-dot sight, change the stocks back, and I'm in too.

MT Chambers
08-16-2015, 08:34 PM
That rifle has been haunting us for a couple of years now, if it were mine I would take all the plastic **** off and put on a nice walnut stock.

hoosierlogger
08-16-2015, 08:44 PM
You have cat to be kitten me right meow! That is ugly. Someone will buy them though. There is a shoulder for every rifle.

Gtek
08-16-2015, 09:25 PM
How about CAR 7.62, Cowboy Assault Rifle/30 WCF. Live action, get ya some.

azrednek
08-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Give it a detachable mag, and I'll buy one!!!!
Hey, it's not normal I'll give you that, but it's pretty cost effective, and I don't want to knock it till I try it.
Yes, it is very real.

I agree "not normal" but I likely had the same thoughts the first time I heard of a Glock.

It needs a detachable magazine to look authentic.

I was thinking a selective fire lever!!

rking22
08-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Should have been a warning about "disturbing graphic content" on this post, I can't unsee that thing!

tdoyka
08-16-2015, 09:31 PM
i refuse my model 94 any type of plasticool stock, forearm or anything else. that "thing" is disgusting!

str8shot426
08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Is this for the guy that doesn't want to shell out 2k for an m4/ar...... Me, I would just do without one. I'll take wood and blueing every time!!!

That thing is factory bubba'd

swamp
08-16-2015, 09:49 PM
The first time I saw one I thought it was the ugliest 30-30 I had ever seen. Haven't changed my mind. The plastic doesn't make it any handier.
swamp

rondog
08-16-2015, 10:05 PM
PT Barnum had a point.....

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Quite honestly I thought it was a joke when I first saw a picture of one.

BNE
08-16-2015, 10:26 PM
I've held one once before. It is just odd. I view it differently thn most... I would view it as a gun that I don't constantly worry about keeping it pretty - ie not scratched up.

Garyshome
08-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Sacrilege!

oldred
08-16-2015, 10:45 PM
That is is just plain PERVERTED!

gandydancer
08-16-2015, 11:43 PM
I must have one I will make it come alive. Ha Ha Ha its alive. its alive."thunder & lighting"

azrednek
08-17-2015, 12:08 AM
I must have one I will make it come alive. Ha Ha Ha its alive. its alive."thunder & lighting"

OH-NO!! Can it procreate??

oldred
08-17-2015, 09:04 AM
I truly hope things such as this don't catch on but I fear it will, that is just so bad it's embarrassing!

jmort
08-17-2015, 09:18 AM
As noted has been out for a couple years, I like it, to each his own. But then I like most all lever guns regardless. I hope to get one before they are discontinued. The 464 is a good, solid design and is priced real good for what you get.

dilly
08-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Now I've never been down under, but aren't there some legal limitations in Australia that would make this an appealing but legal alternative to some who would really rather have an AR?

Don't forget, a lot of crazy gun designs are the way they are because of the exponentially more insane gun laws.

missionary5155
08-17-2015, 09:48 AM
I agree "not normal" but I likely had the same thoughts the first time I heard of a Glock.

I was thinking a selective fire lever!!

Greetings Some years ago American Rifleman ( I think ) ran a short filler "side article' with drawing how Mr. John Browning took a model 1892, fitted a spring loaded, muzzle blast lever to cover the bore to actuate the bar connected modified hand lever we normally stick our fingers through. With one pull of the trigger said model 92 would fire all loaded rounds self loading in about 2 seconds simply be putting the rushing bullet pushed air column to use.
Mr. Browning used that basic design to build the first Automatic Firing crew served weapon fielded by our U. S. Army Model 1895 commonly known as the "potato digger" due to the exposed operating rod that moved rapidly up and down as does a potato digger of the time.
So that "select fire lever" is a feasible option with Mr. Brownings "auto adaptor" in place.
Mike in Peru

ndnchf
08-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Greetings Some years ago American Rifleman ( I think ) ran a short filler "side article' with drawing how Mr. John Browning took a model 1892, fitted a spring loaded, muzzle blast lever to cover the bore to actuate the bar connected modified hand lever we normally stick our fingers through. With one pull of the trigger said model 92 would fire all loaded rounds self loading in about 2 seconds simply be putting the rushing bullet pushed air column to use.
Mr. Browning used that basic design to build the first Automatic Firing crew served weapon fielded by our U. S. Army Model 1895 commonly known as the "potato digger" due to the exposed operating rod that moved rapidly up and down as does a potato digger of the time.
So that "select fire lever" is a feasible option with Mr. Brownings "auto adaptor" in place.
Mike in Peru

Mike - I've seen that in the "John Browning, American Gunmaker" book I have. It was a simple way to demonstrate his concept. It may be in the Browning museum now. BTW, its a fascinating book.

As far as this thing goes, its not to my taste. I can understand the plastic stocks for all weather durability. But the rest of it seems just made up to please the RAMBO crowd that are enamored with black guns. I can't see any real practical value, at least in my world. Not to mention it is just plain butt ugly.

Lever-man
08-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I know it's ugly but the adjustable stock is what I like about it one gun that will fit every one in the family.

Skipper
08-17-2015, 01:59 PM
'scuze me.......I just puked in my mouth http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/malade/malad6.gif

spfd1903
08-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Bought one of these several years ago for hog hunting in central Florida. The adjustable stock is useful for different shooters. The rail is perfect for mounting a light for night hunting. Rifle has never malfunctioned and is accurate with a range of Sierra and Speer FP's, and Lee C309-170-f. I got it for its utility not for the look.

Scharfschuetze
08-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Probably sells well in the states that inhibit ownership of AR and AK style rifles.

Mytmousemalibu
08-17-2015, 06:31 PM
I vomited in my mouth at the first sight of one of those ugly things. Maybe, MAYBE if it had standard looking furniture like some ebony stained wood it might be better looking. Perhaps for a truck gun if you must have a lever but don't want to punish a nice looking gun.

badge176
08-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Then ya'll gonna hate me for this...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?285671-Liberals-Nightmare-tacticool-Marlin-336

MBTcustom
08-17-2015, 09:42 PM
A rail has a very real purpose on a rifle.
An adjustable stock has a very real purpose on a rifle.
A flash hider, a fiber optic sight, synthetic furniture, parkerizing, all have a very real and viable purpose in a firearm that is meant to be compact, and versatile.
What is it about a levergun that precludes these modern accouterments?
Is it that we view our firearms more by who they make us look like, rather than what they do for us? The two viewpoints are diametrically apposed, and I can appreciate both, but I come down on the side of function most of the time. My only problem with this rifle is that all their additional doodads probably doesn't make it function one iota better than the original.
For instance, I love the sliding stock, but why not apply a little "modern style" to the knuckle busting lever while they were at it? I love the idea of a muzzle break, but that bird cage isn't going to accomplish much except to look cool and make more noise for the shooter without giving you the benefit of faster followup shots.
Fiber optic sights? Groovy.
All in all, I see more pluses than minuses, especially if I were hunting in the rain for extended periods and my shots were going to be close and fast.

Treetop
08-17-2015, 10:00 PM
A rail has a very real purpose on a rifle.
An adjustable stock has a very real purpose on a rifle.
A flash hider, a fiber optic sight, synthetic furniture, parkerizing, all have a very real and viable purpose in a firearm that is meant to be compact, and versatile.
Is it that we view our firearms more by who they make us look like, rather than what they do for us? The two viewpoints are diametrically apposed, and I can appreciate both, but I come down on the side of function most of the time. My only problem with this rifle is that all their additional doodads probably doesn't make it function one iota better than the original.
For instance, I love the sliding stock, but why not apply a little "modern style" to the knuckle busting lever while they were at it? I love the idea of a muzzle break, but that bird cage isn't going to accomplish much except to look cool and make more noise for the shooter without giving you the benefit of faster followup shots.
Fiber optic sights? Groovy.
All in all, I see more pluses than minuses, especially if I were hunting in the rain for extended periods and my shots were going to be close and fast.

FWIW, I agree with you, Tim.

oldred
08-17-2015, 10:24 PM

Because they're just so danged UGLY on a lever gun!!!:kidding:

azrednek
08-18-2015, 01:31 AM
Because they're just so danged UGLY on a lever gun!!!:kidding:

Not only ugly its a sacrilege to put plastic on such a wonderful classic. Reminds me of seeing a naturally beautiful woman covered with gross tattoos and dyed hair. A better analogy, a sportorized mint 03 Springfield or Garand. ....YUCK!!

reivertom
08-18-2015, 02:18 AM
These will soon be the only "assault rifle" allowed in California. As my Dad used to say, that thing is ugly as a mud fence.

offrover2000
08-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Buddy bought one and uses it for deer hunting. Yup its not for everyone...but it felt like a good fit for me. And I agree with some of the comment about not being worried if it's chucked behind the back seat of the truck. It's a shooter. And cheap.

45workhorse
08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't know what is worse this, or a Corvette with big (west coast) truck mirrors on it:shock:

garym1a2
08-18-2015, 08:43 PM
I think these would be great with a TRS25 red dot on top and a Can on the front shooting heavies with a light charge of bullseye.

MBTcustom
08-18-2015, 09:53 PM
I think these would be great with a TRS25 red dot on top and a Can on the front shooting heavies with a light charge of bullseye.

Good idea. I recently threaded a Timberwolf pump action 357mag for a member and it was a hoot!

Lever-man
08-18-2015, 10:04 PM
I like to varment hunt at night & that was the main reason I ever bought an AR, plenty of places to put lights, lasers or what ever. I can see myself selling my AR and getting one of these. Yep, it is ugly, but functional, & would fit my intended usage perfectly. I still love my Marlins, but there is not an easy way to put a light on one or quickly adjust the stock to fit someone small. This is a tool meant to be used, & carried, no safe Queen here.

AllanD
08-19-2015, 01:19 AM
How about CAR 7.62, Cowboy Assault Rifle/30 WCF. Live action, get ya some.

Ideal for when the hostile Indians are attacking on motorcycles with compound bows

Hardcast416taylor
08-19-2015, 03:03 PM
AARRRRRGH! MY EYES, MY EYES!!!Robert

Lonegun1894
08-19-2015, 10:02 PM
I think it's ugly as sin, but might consider one if the sights are useable with a suppressor mounted.

CLAYPOOL
08-19-2015, 11:17 PM
One of the "Posters" above said about a selective fire lever..? Isn't that the HAMMER on these..? Just thinking.

NYBushBro
08-19-2015, 11:38 PM
These guys will try to sell ANYTHING with a plastic stock rather than cut into their profit margin with a WOODDDDDDDDDDDDDD stock.

Pitiful.

starmac
08-20-2015, 02:07 AM
Someone mentioned you wouldn't have to worry about carrying it behind the seat in the pickup. lol I don't think I would worry too much about just throwing it in the bed of the pickup, or even on a flatbed trailer for that matter. lol

Point-Man
08-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Never catch on as tactical. Shoots way to slow and to much work. Best truck gun is a Hi-point and they are ugly to.

44man
08-20-2015, 11:46 AM
tacticool! Turns you into a navy Seal right quick.

starmac
08-20-2015, 01:03 PM
I am thinking, at one time a lever action was probably considered THE TACTICAL firepower, but at least it was done in style. lol

Hardcast416taylor
08-20-2015, 03:17 PM
tacticool! Turns you into a navy Seal right quick.

Already way too many of these wannabes running around already!Robert

DonMountain
08-20-2015, 10:25 PM
I like the adjustability of the stock and the sites and the easy to clean nature of the rifle. I would order one if they came out with a better caliber. The 30 WCF is a bit anemic for me. How about one in 356 Winchester or 358 Winchester and I will buy it.

emrah
08-20-2015, 10:28 PM
First, I'm surprised there are that many people who've never seen this rifle; it's been out for a few years now. Really.

Second, I have the wood stocked one (464) and love mine.

Third, it's not really "sacrilege" as it's not a true Win 94 copy. It's mix of 94 with the round bolt of a Marlin 336.

Fourth, I REALLY want one. No joke. It would make an excellent home defense tool.

Beauty is subjective. Personally, I think the TC Contender is the ugliest thing I've ever seen with a barrel and grip. And I roll my eyes pretty hard when someone talks about "handgun" hunting with one. It's got a 14" barrel ferchrissakes!

Rant over.

Emrah

azrednek
08-21-2015, 03:33 AM
One of the "Posters" above said about a selective fire lever..? Isn't that the HAMMER on these..? Just thinking.

You'll have to ask Chuck Conners

dragon813gt
08-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Does it serve a purpose? You bet it does. Looks like a good field gun for real use. Would I buy one, no way. I don't need one of these rifles. I have plenty that will fill the same roll. Call me vain but I like rifles that are physically appealing. I can see the beauty in an AR. Granted they are like a 4 on the beauty scale. But there is some inherent beauty in them. This thing.......it's horrible looking. But if you want a tool to do the job then this rifle could be it.

TXGunNut
08-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Mike - I've seen that in the "John Browning, American Gunmaker" book I have. It was a simple way to demonstrate his concept. It may be in the Browning museum now. BTW, its a fascinating book.-ndnchf

If my memory serves me correctly it was displayed with some of his concept guns when I was there in 2007.

Mauser48
08-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Leave it up to mossberg. I saw that thing a few months ago and I just laughed.

Skooterr
08-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Been around awhile. Handled one at a LGS 2/3 yrs ago.
To each his own, I guess. Not my cup of tea.
I have traditional wood stocks and a couple with RamLines.
As for the adjustable stock idea, how about this Hybrid !!!!
Not mine, it was for sale last year on another forum.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/dmystix/MarlinDifferent_zpsd7503a20.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/dmystix/media/MarlinDifferent_zpsd7503a20.jpg.html)

flint45
08-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Ugly but someone will buy them. Just not me no-way!

rking22
08-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Skooterr, I can see the function in the one you posted, still not my cup-o-tea as I do not like the handling qualities of the plastic adj stocks. At least it doesent have all that junk on the foreend, can't figure how that feels good in the hand! Lever guns generally handle like a decent shotgun, anything that compromizes that quality is a step backwards. Pure marketing ploy on Mossbergs part.

KLR
08-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Some of you guys are funny. Ugly lever guns aren't anything new. Haven't you seen all the gaudy leather buttstock covers, fringed slings, big loops, commemorative scroll work, and metal plating on "traditional" lever rifles?

But I guess it's okay to dress up in cowboy costumes and pretend to be cowboys but if you get one of these you're automatically pretending to be a Navy Seal? :bigsmyl2: :kidding:

hpdrifter
08-25-2015, 07:31 PM
I bet you can get an AR cheaper right now.

quickdraw66
08-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Is this for the guy that doesn't want to shell out 2k for an m4/ar...... Me, I would just do without one. I'll take wood and blueing every time!!!

That thing is factory bubba'd

2K for an AR? It better be able to shoot 1/4" groups at 100+ yards for that price. You can get a good low priced one for $500-$600, which is about the price of that lever action.

Bill*B
08-28-2015, 09:27 PM
Bob Dylan was right - the times, they are a changing. Saw one of these at the range today.

Skooterr
08-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Bob Dylan was right - the times, they are a changing. Saw one of these at the range today.

Yes they are!!
I was in LGS yesterday one on the rack for $439, regular wood version $389.

starmac
08-29-2015, 11:02 PM

Well I moved to Alaska because it seemed like lots of things were about 25 years behind the lower 48, maybe I will luck out and have another 20 years or so before I lay eyes on one of these in person. lol

10mmShooter
09-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, personally not my thing, I still to this day don't like polymer guns,(i.e Glocks, M&Ps) give me steel and wood any day :)

pretzelxx
09-06-2015, 12:44 PM
If it gets them sales, I guess they're doing OK right? I would prefer an original stock and I'm sort of in this tacticool age.. Looks like a robot leg out of the terminator movies

Huntsman
09-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Hahhaaa. I had one believe it or not. I always said it would be the closest I'd ever get to owning an AR lol.
It lasted 9 rounds shooting from the bench until the extractor snapped off. I sent it back for warranty repair an sold it soon after.

jrod45ar
09-09-2015, 05:43 PM
That's hideous! [emoji15]

Huntsman
09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Here's the other thread on the tactical lever;http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?43484-Vent-about-my-broken-Mossberg-464

destrux
09-14-2015, 03:23 PM
It appears to have a threaded barrel.... I'd buy one just to slap a wood stock on it and have a nice lever gun host for my suppressor. Way easier than sending out one of my current lever guns to have the barrel threaded.

rexherring
09-17-2015, 11:49 PM
It would be a great gun to bounce around in the pickup on a farm. Yes, ugly

starmac
09-18-2015, 12:07 AM

I have had lever guns bouncing around in a pickup for 40 years. I never had one that I would have to claim I just found on the side of the road if anyone seen it though. lol

fast ronnie
09-18-2015, 03:43 AM
Like Jeff Foxworthy says "I seen my grandmother naked y'all!"

JSnover
09-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Even a beautiful woman can be guilty of dressing trashy or wearing too much makeup… but some guys like 'em that way.

azrednek
09-18-2015, 09:49 PM

Yes it is and it would be great on a farm. Even if you covered it with gravy the hogs would still avoid it.