PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Taking a break from a lost screw hunt. Did a Wolff spring swap in a Cimarron/Uberti 1873 Cattleman yesterday to correct a previous owner's "action job" and was encouraged enough to do another one. Second one was also a Cimarron/Uberti but it had a coil spring and plunger for the hand instead of the flat spring of the first one I tried. Had no idea it was there until the plunger fell out. :shock:
I had trouble getting the tiny little set screw started and actually lost it and the spring a few times. Then I got the bright idea to hold the tiny screw with a pair of manicure scissors and it REALLY went flying and I haven't found it yet. I heard it land but as yet haven't located it.
Question is; when I locate/replace this screw how do you recommend holding/starting this tiny little screw? The spring is flush with the top of the hole and must be compressed to start the screw. Any hints for procuring a new screw? I was hoping a scope mounting hole plug would work but it seems to be too big. Would be nice to know the size but it's too tiny for me to measure.

RobS
08-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Use a magnetic screw driver or simply put a few cheap magnets (can be found in the craft sections in Walmart or similar stores) on the screw driver. I can't help you on the size of the screw though. Good luck finding things.

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the magnet tip, my driver in that size is not magnetic. Was thinking about removing the hand to get the spring below the first threads and then trying to get the hand into place. Cabelas sells a screw assortment, wonder if it contains this screw?

DCP
08-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Run a magnet in a grid pattern on the floor

Bored1
08-16-2015, 12:39 PM
For the screw size try Numrich gun parts. If they don't have a replacement maybe the diagram of hte gun will show the screw dimensions?

For 3$ looks like this may be worth a try. Never have a non magnitized driver again, unless you want one for some reason lol.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-3601H/204664387

(http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Precision-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-3601H/204664387)

Der Gebirgsjager
08-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Brownell's probably has the screw, they do carry Uberti parts. It might be metric. If you have a very strong magnet you can magnetize your screwdriver bit. A good source for strong magnets is old audio speakers.

Blackwater
08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
TGN, I found an old spring a couple of months back that "disappeared" about 3 years ago. You'll probably find it. It just takes time .... and giving up for a couple of years .... to make it suddenly reappear. Hope this helps? ;)

jcren
08-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Glue the screw to the driver with half a drop of superglue. Wait for it to dry well before messing with it and the glue will crack loose when the screw is tightened.

TXGunNut
08-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I figure it rolled under a cabinet somehow, needed to order some stuff from Brownells anyway. I like that super glue idea, jcren. Was wondering if that would work. Ordered an extra, have a few more Wolff springs to install. ;-)

John Taylor
08-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Run a magnet in a grid pattern on the floor
That would never work on my floor, to many metal chips.

odies dad
08-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Get a large zip lock bag and put what you are working on in the bag. If you launch a screw it will most likely stay in the bag. You need to be able to work on it through the opening in the bag.

blaser.306
08-16-2015, 10:03 PM
I do not remember where I originally saw it but, To avoid this situation, I have seen a "disassembly box" like a blasting cabinet with gloves or at least cuffs where your arms go thru, so you still get the feel of the work and a plexi or lexan window on the lid . Painted white inside, and any small spring, pin or detent ball that might go awol at a high rate of speed is contained for easy retrieval !

DCP
08-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Get a large zip lock bag and put what you are working on in the bag. If you launch a screw it will most likely stay in the bag. You need to be able to work on it through the opening in the bag.

I like this

nagantguy
08-16-2015, 11:12 PM

This was SOP in my unit when doing field maintenance. Not fool proof not high tech but it works and is fairly Marine proof!

Mk42gunner
08-17-2015, 01:13 AM
You can magnetize a steel screwdriver with a piece of insulated copper wire and a car battery. Wind the wire in a coil around the shaft and then touch the ends of the wire to both terminals of the battery. My dad showed me how to do this in the early 1970's.

As for finding the screw; it will show up right after you install the replacement.

Robert

smokeywolf
08-17-2015, 05:50 AM
I have on occasion secured a screw to a driver with a dab of grease, a piece of tape, a spring, a piece of tubing or a dab of glue. Because many of the fasteners I have worked with have been titanium or type 316 stainless, magnetic drivers were often not an answer to such a problem.